PDA

View Full Version : "Superhero" campaign advice

Telonius
2016-03-20, 09:00 AM
Hello everyone! I'm in the beginning stages of planning what I'm loosely calling a "superhero" campaign. The setting would be something roughly like Ankh-Morpork in Discworld, with several usually-monstrous races living together in a single "Metropolis." Most of the NPCs are playing under E6 rules, but something happens to the PCs (as well as several important "supervillain" NPCs, and possibly a good guy Artificer) to allow them to break through the 6th level barrier.

Has anyone run this sort of campaign? Any general tips on what to plan for, difficulties I might encounter, stuff that really did or didn't work? (I am aware that Mutants & Masterminds is usually the go-to for this kind of setup, but funds for a few of the players (and myself) are kind of tight; obtaining a bunch of PHBs and the Gamemaster's Guide would be prohibitively expensive).

MisterKaws
2016-03-20, 12:07 PM
You can find everything you need to play M&M at their SRD (http://www.d20herosrd.com/). Just build your campaign as you'd do otherwise and you won't need any DMG.

The major problem with playing this is the murderhobo mindset players can have: you need something to stop them from just destroying the entire city, since they can.

Gildedragon
2016-03-20, 12:18 PM
Yeah. Getting them to be heroes is bit of the rub.
Maybe have a reputation system in play? Allow weapon/armor/item enchantments be put on their bodies; superheroes often use their body as the weapon.

Telonius
2016-03-20, 03:07 PM
I'm not too worried about the murderhobo mindset; there's only one who really falls into that at all, and he's usually able to channel it into fighting a specific bad guy.

Thanks for the link to the SRD; I hadn't realized there was one. Still very much confused about how they decide to make something a power, an effect, or an add-on - seems like a kind of arbitrary distinction - but I may delve a bit further into it.

Darrin
2016-03-20, 04:23 PM
1d6:
1-2 = Power
3-4 = Effect
5-6 = Add-on

MisterKaws
2016-03-20, 04:52 PM
Still very much confused about how they decide to make something a power, an effect, or an add-on - seems like a kind of arbitrary distinction - but I may delve a bit further into it.

I know that powers are just a mix of different effects, and you can't have non-power effects: if it's an effect, it belongs to a power; though I don't know about add-ons, since my system mastery on M&M is still crap.

Telonius
2016-03-20, 05:13 PM
1d6:
1-2 = Power
3-4 = Effect
5-6 = Add-on

That's about my impression of how they assigned each thing. :smallbiggrin: