PDA

View Full Version : Skill proficiency's when creating a character

iPotatis
2016-03-20, 09:44 AM
Basiclly im wondering how many proficienies youre allowed to choose yourself?
i got 1 from my race, 2 from my class, and 2 from my background, i also heard you get 2 that you choose yourself, is that true? cause i cant find it in the phb.

Jeebs
2016-03-20, 09:52 AM
You may be thinking of the fact that a DM may allow you to change the proficencies granted by your background, or allow you to make your own background.

So you don't get to choose two more (unless your DM has a house rule for this).

2 from your background, between 2 and 4 more based on your class, and then any skill(s) your race grants you.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-20, 09:53 AM
Basiclly im wondering how many proficienies youre allowed to choose yourself?
i got 1 from my race, 2 from my class, and 2 from my background, i also heard you get 2 that you choose yourself, is that true? cause i cant find it in the phb.

No, that's not true. Whoever told you that was probably referring to the two you get from the background, because you are choosing those for yourself, in effect.

Edit: ninja'd. Quick fingers there, Jeebs. :smalltongue:

mgshamster
2016-03-20, 09:55 AM
Don't forget that if your background skills overlap with you class or race skills, you can pick a different one.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-20, 10:05 AM
Don't forget that if your background skills overlap with you class or race skills, you can pick a different one.

Which you should use to get Perception if it isn't an option from your race or class. 'Cause Perception is just that handy.

iPotatis
2016-03-20, 10:05 AM
You may be thinking of the fact that a DM may allow you to change the proficencies granted by your background, or allow you to make your own background.

So you don't get to choose two more (unless your DM has a house rule for this).

2 from your background, between 2 and 4 more based on your class, and then any skill(s) your race grants you.

No, that's not true. Whoever told you that was probably referring to the two you get from the background, because you are choosing those for yourself, in effect.

Edit: ninja'd. Quick fingers there, Jeebs. :smalltongue:

Thanks guys! got a bit scared there thought i was going to have change my characters class or something because of the overlaping.