PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Polymorph and armor

stack
2016-03-20, 10:05 AM
If, while under a Polymorph effect, a character dons armor appropriate to the form taken, the effect ends, what happens to the donned armor? The Polymorph descriptor defines what happen to your armor when the effect starts, but I do not see any provision for when it ends. Have there been any official or suggested rulings?

The matter is of some interest to me as I am writing the Alteration expansion for Spheres of Power.

Psyren
2016-03-20, 10:30 AM
The easiest approach is to have the donned equipment (post-morph) fall off in your square, while the melded equipment (pre-morph) returns to the surface. I'm unsure if there's any official verbiage though.

stack
2016-03-20, 10:34 AM
The easiest approach is to have the donned equipment (post-morph) fall off in your square, while the melded equipment (pre-morph) returns to the surface. I'm unsure if there's any official verbiage though.

That was what I was leaning toward in the absence of anything official. Though I suppose non-armor gear that was donned could just stay, though it would merge is you polymorphed again.

Psyren
2016-03-20, 10:51 AM
That was what I was leaning toward in the absence of anything official. Though I suppose non-armor gear that was donned could just stay, though it would merge is you polymorphed again.

One issue you'll have to be aware of is the possibility of two items in the same slot. For example:

- A (humanoid) Druid is wearing a headband of inspired wisdom.
- Druid wildshapes into animal. Headband merges, but continues providing its Wis bonus.
- An ally places a second headband (say, a Veiled Eye) on the Druid's head. As the druid's headband slot is occupied by the +Wis item, the new headband doesn't function, while the old one (though merged) continues to do so.
- The Druid's wildshape ends. I would say here that the Veiled Eye falls on the ground and the functioning +Wis headband unmelds and appears on the druid's head.

stack
2016-03-20, 11:00 AM
One issue you'll have to be aware of is the possibility of two items in the same slot. For example:

- A (humanoid) Druid is wearing a headband of inspired wisdom.
- Druid wildshapes into animal. Headband merges, but continues providing its Wis bonus.
- An ally places a second headband (say, a Veiled Eye) on the Druid's head. As the druid's headband slot is occupied by the +Wis item, the new headband doesn't function, while the old one (though merged) continues to do so.
- The Druid's wildshape ends. I would say here that the Veiled Eye falls on the ground and the functioning +Wis headband unmelds and appears on the druid's head.

As far as I can tell, while you only benefit from one item in a slot, there is nothing physically preventing wearing, say, ten rings. Falling to the ground works, but so does just having it sit awkwardly in place. Somewhat depends on the physical arrangement of the item in question I suppose.

Psyren
2016-03-20, 11:33 AM
As far as I can tell, while you only benefit from one item in a slot, there is nothing physically preventing wearing, say, ten rings. Falling to the ground works, but so does just having it sit awkwardly in place. Somewhat depends on the physical arrangement of the item in question I suppose.

10 rings is physically plausible though since you have 10 fingers. Whether you can fit a headband over another headband or an implanted eye is going to be a GM call. (You appear to be the GM in question so this should be easy to sort out.)

stack
2016-03-20, 04:39 PM
Not so much the GM as the author tha wants to include GM advice for corner cases. Thanks for your input.