PDA

View Full Version : Spell to Identify Owner of Blood

supersonic29
2016-03-20, 10:19 AM
Simple as subject line, is there any spell that does this? If not, what would you say to a player trying to spellcraft one into being?

Necroticplague
2016-03-20, 10:35 AM
Not a spell, but a power, Read Object should do it for you. There's a fairly cheap glove that can do it at-will (gloves of Object Reading, 3k GP). Technically, it doesn't outright tell you their identity, but it tells you enough about them that you should have a decent chance of figuring it out (race, gender, alignment, how they lost and got it).

Malimar
2016-03-20, 10:48 AM
Pathfinder has blood biography (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-biography). If you're playing 3.5, I'd allow a player to use spellcraft to research it into being, or maybe even allow them to learn it without special research.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-20, 10:54 AM
I had a player who wanted something like this. We ended up making a custom spell based on several others we found through research. Here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cWIEikIR4aJB-OMN7ex_sJy2hLdt3-T_zAN4keDwFkg/edit?usp=sharing) is a link to what we come up with.

It is loosely based on Discern Bloodline in Races of Destiny, Know Bloodline in Lost Empires of Faerun.

Arguably you should be able to use either of those two spells and follow up with a Locate Creature. If you know everything about their bloodline that should count as being familiar with them. Legend Lore should let you do this without the other two but would take a while.

Hiro Quester
2016-03-20, 11:06 AM
A character or companion animal with the scent ability might be able to do this (can identify familiar odors, can track by scent).

Bronk
2016-03-20, 11:11 AM
Simple as subject line, is there any spell that does this? If not, what would you say to a player trying to spellcraft one into being?

That's the perfect use for the scry spell. The target would get a +10 modifier to their will save for you having no knowledge of the target, but a -10 modifier for you having their blood.

I'm not sure if the +10 modifier is nullified if the player happens to know the target in some way but doesn't realize it at the time of casting.

Psyren
2016-03-20, 11:35 AM
That's the perfect use for the scry spell. The target would get a +10 modifier to their will save for you having no knowledge of the target, but a -10 modifier for you having their blood.

I'm not sure if the +10 modifier is nullified if the player happens to know the target in some way but doesn't realize it at the time of casting.

I'd say the spell itself knows whether you know the person (just as it knows who the blood/hair/etc. belongs to before you do) and so the will bonus gets nulled.

Beyond that, seconding the PF suggestion.

LTwerewolf
2016-03-20, 08:58 PM
Strictly speaking, legend lore should accomplish this. It either counts as a person and tells you details on what the person has done, or it counts as an object, and tells you about what the whole thing (person) did back when it was a part of it.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-21, 04:23 PM
I'd swear up and down that I've read a spell somewhere that gives a detailed lineage or chain of ownership to an object or person. I can't for the life of me remember where or what its name was, though.

It wasn't the object reading or psychometry powers.