PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Firearms-Called Shot Interaction?

Necroticplague
2016-03-20, 10:25 AM
Is a Called Shot made using a Firearm at close enough range that Penetration kicks in made against Touch AC (as per the rules of Penetration), or against normal AC (as per Called Shot)?

I've tried to look it up, but I've got conflicting answers on the subject. One is that it hits normal AC, because a Firearm from close enough range is a touch attack, thus it falls under the rules for Called Shots that says it still has to hit against normal AC. The other is that a firearm at close range, while it hits against touch AC, is not a touch attack, and thus that rule doesn't apply. The latter seems consistent with the fact it works with Deadly Aim and similar, but the rule that allows for that specifies "feats and abilities", of which an alternate set of rules might not be considered. Of course, under the interpretation that it isn't a touch attack, the necessity of that text would come into question in the first place.

Psyren
2016-03-20, 10:34 AM
I'd say the Called Shot rules are more specific than the firearm rules when it comes to making called shots, and thus trump. Therefore, you cannot make touch attacks with them.

Necroticplague
2016-03-20, 10:50 AM
I'd say the Called Shot rules are more specific than the firearm rules when it comes to making called shots, and thus trump. Therefore, you cannot make touch attacks with them.

Using specific vs. general could go in either direction, though. Both of the following seem reasonable chains of thoughts:

1."Called Shot" is more general than "called shot with a Firearm" is more general than "Called shot with a firearm within the first range increment", so the rules relevant to the last (Penetration) win out.
2."Attack with firearm" is more general than "attack with a firearm within the first range increment" is more general than "Called Shot with a firearm within the first range increment", so the rules relevant to the last (Called Shot) win out.

Psyren
2016-03-20, 10:54 AM
There are no specific "Called Shot with a firearm" rules though (regardless of range increment). If there were, then I'd agree with you that those would trump. In their absence, I stand by my answer.

Necroticplague
2016-03-20, 11:15 AM
There are no specific "Called Shot with a firearm" rules though (regardless of range increment). If there were, then I'd agree with you that those would trump. In their absence, I stand by my answer.

Fair enough, though the essence of the question remains: how does one determine which is more general, when there are situations for both that don't involve the other (you can make a called shot with non-firearms, and you can make firearm attacks that aren't called shots).

And this, of course, assumes that firearms are touch attacks at close range, and the even are valid for that rule to interact with, which I'm not entirely sure of (they're definitely attacks that target touch AC, but is that the same as a touch attack? From an RaI point of view, called shots are a similar concept to deadly aim, which does work with firearms).

Psyren
2016-03-20, 11:31 AM
Fair enough, though the essence of the question remains: how does one determine which is more general, when there are situations for both that don't involve the other (you can make a called shot with non-firearms, and you can make firearm attacks that aren't called shots).

That's easy - it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to do a called shot, then the called shot rules are more specific to what you're attempting than what firearms let you do (including the line about touch attacks not being allowed) and thus trump. If you're just shooting a firearm normally, then the called shot rules don't apply at all.

And this, of course, assumes that firearms are touch attacks at close range, and the even are valid for that rule to interact with, which I'm not entirely sure of (they're definitely attacks that target touch AC, but is that the same as a touch attack? From an RaI point of view, called shots are a similar concept to deadly aim, which does work with firearms).

However similar they might be to deadly aim, that fact remains that called shots specifically tell you what to do with touch attacks.