PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars West End Star Wars combined with X-wing Miniature Game?

Primus Beno
2016-03-20, 12:23 PM
I've got some 20 year old nostalgia gnawing at me and I want to rip out all my old D6 Star Wars books and fire up a story.

However, I always remembered that while the d6 system seemed work work reasonably well for individual characters, it fell apart when it came to vehicles. I remember there being several different classes of dice, including Capitol Ships and such. We never played much with the verticals because it seemed to complicated and it was hard to narrate in a Minds Eye Theater anyway. How do you do a space battle with a B-wing against a Gunboat?

But, I've started to get into the X-wing Miniature game and this seems like it could work. I've got a sizable collection of models now, more than enough to take care of many different variation of battles. I'm thinking of just substituting the miniature game in for any space battle and translating any extra piloting dice into more points that the pilot could buy.

Anyone ever done this? Would it work? Anyone see any potential problems?

LibraryOgre
2016-03-21, 11:09 AM
I haven't done it, but the first potential problem that pops to mind is "Making those skill dice matter." You're going to have to come up with a way to match someone who has 4D in Space Transports v. someone with 4D+2 in Space Fighters, and what the impact of improving your YT1300's guns will be in the game. It might be very easy to account for; I don't have X-Wing Miniatures; but it's something to consider.

Mutazoia
2016-04-01, 08:40 PM
Fortunately, as far as ship combat goes anyway, most of the work was already done for you, in the form of the old Star Warriors game. It can be played as a stand alone ship combat game, or it can be used in conjunction with the RPG rules.

Water Bob
2016-05-08, 11:41 AM
However, I always remembered that while the d6 system seemed work work reasonably well for individual characters, it fell apart when it came to vehicles. I remember there being several different classes of dice, including Capitol Ships and such. We never played much with the verticals because it seemed to complicated and it was hard to narrate in a Minds Eye Theater anyway. How do you do a space battle with a B-wing against a Gunboat?

It sounds to me as if you just need to play First Edition D6 Star Wars. Chase, starship battles, and the like are all fantastic in the mind's eye and extremely easy to run.

First Edition is a lot easier to run than the X-Wing minatures game or even the Star Warriors game published by WEG.

I think 1E is exactly what the doctor ordered in your case.

First edition D6 Star Wars is quite a bit different than the later versions and editions of the game. I think there are seven versions in all. First edition is the easiest to run, the most unencumbered rules set you'll ever play.

It, more than any other game system, captures the swashbuckling, space opera feel of Star Wars.

Check it out.

Mutazoia
2016-05-11, 02:44 AM
Star Warriors was designed to use the 1e rules, but add a bit more strategy and tactics to star ship combat than existed with the standard RPG rules. You still use all the same skill sets, but the rules got a bit more in depth with things such as transferring power to boost shields, and more detail in ship damage (and in flight repair attempts, if possible).

hifidelity2
2016-05-11, 07:30 AM
I've got some 20 year old nostalgia gnawing at me and I want to rip out all my old D6 Star Wars books and fire up a story.

But, I've started to get into the X-wing Miniature game and this seems like it could work. I've got a sizable collection of models now, more than enough to take care of many different variation of battles. I'm thinking of just substituting the miniature game in for any space battle and translating any extra piloting dice into more points that the pilot could buy.

Anyone ever done this? Would it work? Anyone see any potential problems?

I play the old D6 Star wars (using the Revised Rules) and have no problems with the star ship combat

All it did was use scales to mimic the chance to hit and the damage without going to silly dice numbers

All you have to do is assign a size class to a ship
There are 6 Scales
Character
Speeder
Walker
Starfighter
Capital
Death Star

with the various modifiers - so all you need to do is decide if its a small(ish ) gunship (so Star-fighter) or a large one (so Capital) and then apply the mods
with the basic
Smaller Fighting Bigger = Better chance to hit but worse chance to damage
Bigger v Smaller - Better dodge (for smaller) better damage for bigger