PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help, I need a character

Dimcair
2016-03-20, 02:11 PM
I find myself in need of a character for a session in 14 hours.
Evil campaign 'way of the wicked', pathfinder, start at lvl 1.

The party so far is:

a Soulknife
wizard of the Conjuring School (Infernal Binder sub-school),
an elven monk,
an armor master,
a bard,
anti-paladin
tiefling warder

I always wanted to play a conjuration wizard, support/summoning wizard (i even bought an app for quick monster stat blocks, never got to use it).
Since I don't know what most of these classes are, would I fit in there? I like directing my minions to do my bidding, summoned or otherwise, and support them through battlefield control and enabling. I need to know whether a character like this would be a dead-end and lack far behind the others at a point. If you have any suggestions on how to build a decent one for the first 10 levels, or what other class/archetypes i should chose out with it, I gotta go to sleep now and only have a couple of hours tmrw to come up with one ;). Help is appreciated.

/edit: or show me the way to some guide that may help me.
/edit 2: I personally don't like martials a lot, maybe with the exception of a archery monk, but I can't remember what archetype that was and it was quite complicated to plan one out.

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-20, 02:29 PM
Here, have two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?233029-PF-Optimization-Guides-Compendium) indices (http://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-comprehensive-pathfinder-guides.html) of Pathfinder optimization guides.

The mechanically soundest choice for that party is probably a buff-focused Cleric or Oracle - you've got five martial characters, maybe six if the Bard fights too, so multi-target buffs will be very efficient. The Wizard and Bard have arcane spell access pretty much covered between the two of them, but access to divine magic is a bit lacking. Paizo APs tend to assume the presence of a divine spellcaster (and often of a Cleric in particular), so it's worth considering.

Given that the party already has a Conjuror, I wouldn't recommend making a second one. Summoning in general is probably not a good idea given the party size; eight people plus summons means somebody's probably getting their toes stepped on.

Does your DM know what they're getting into with an 8-member party in a Paizo AP? Having double the expected party size means you'll tend to stomp encounters unless the number and strength of enemies is adjusted to compensate.

avr
2016-03-20, 08:44 PM
Arguably the summoner class does what you want more simply than a wizard. With limited time it might be best to do that.

I've got to second concerns about the table being overcrowded already though.

Dimcair
2016-03-20, 11:28 PM
I believe not all players will be at all sessions, but the DM seems competent enough to know what he gets into.

You are making good points towards divine magic, i just had a terrible experience with a cleric of lathander, boring as hell. BUT an evil cleric? Sounds way more entertaining.

Any hits for an evil cleric guide/ideas?

/edit: is a necromancer cleric viable? I have the basic support for the party but can also unleash some undead goodness, not to mention you can use them to build your evil fortress

Florian
2016-03-21, 08:15 AM
I believe not all players will be at all sessions, but the DM seems competent enough to know what he gets into.

You are making good points towards divine magic, i just had a terrible experience with a cleric of lathander, boring as hell. BUT an evil cleric? Sounds way more entertaining.

Any hits for an evil cleric guide/ideas?

/edit: is a necromancer cleric viable? I have the basic support for the party but can also unleash some undead goodness, not to mention you can use them to build your evil fortress

PF clerics are far less boring than their 3,5 counterpart and their domains are more fun in play. Even your basic "Evil" domain rocks when you use it to self-buff your weapons ;)
Besides that, Cleric is by far the better necromancer due to advanced creation and control of those buggers. Personally, I just find undead a bit trite and lackluster, camping the areal with an army of zombies might sound fun, but ainīt too effective. (That changes once Shadows become a thing)