PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question on extra attack

Ewhit
2016-03-20, 03:08 PM
Bard fighter paladin ranger monk all get an extra attack at a certain level
"You can attack twice instead of once when you take the (attack action)on your turn"
Page 193 defines (attack as melee range or spell with attack roll)
Where does it say a spell which is considered an attack does not count for the below
If your a 5th fighter/ * spell caster
Can you attack with two spells as defined under page 193

Mith
2016-03-20, 03:10 PM
I believe that is not the case, because spells all have casting times to take into consideration. Two cantrips, I could potentially see being RAW, but not two non-0th level spells.

CantigThimble
2016-03-20, 03:20 PM
Sometimes when you cast a spell you make an attack. However, the action you take there is the cast a spell action, not the attack action. In order to trigger extra attack you need to take the attack action.

DracoKnight
2016-03-20, 03:25 PM
I believe that is not the case, because spells all have casting times to take into consideration. Two cantrips, I could potentially see being RAW, but not two non-0th level spells.

I definitely agree with cantrips being allowable. That's how my group handles it, especially after the melee cantrips came out.

Inglorin
2016-03-20, 03:36 PM
I definitely agree with cantrips being allowable. That's how my group handles it, especially after the melee cantrips came out.

No, that is the reason the cantrips increase in damage with the character's level. The rules don't allow for multiple cantrips with this feature.

bid
2016-03-20, 03:36 PM
Bard fighter paladin ranger monk all get an extra attack at a certain level
"You can attack twice instead of once when you take the (attack action)on your turn"
Page 193 defines (attack as melee range or spell with attack roll)
Where does it say a spell which is considered an attack does not count for the below
If your a 5th fighter/ * spell caster
Can you attack with two spells as defined under page 193
Extra attack only works with the "attack" action.
Casting a spell requires the "cast a spell" action.

Being a 5th fighter makes no difference to the "cast a spell" action.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-20, 03:41 PM
Extra attack only works with the "attack" action.
Casting a spell requires the "cast a spell" action.

Being a 5th fighter makes no difference to the "cast a spell" action.

This is true even if the spell in question requires a "Spell Attack" roll. You still have to take the "Cast a Spell" action in order to use it. Think of it like the old "Touch Attack" spells, where you had to use your highest BAB in order to cast it. It works like an attack, but it's not attack. You don't get multiple Touch Attack spells no matter how sweet your BAB is.