PDA

View Full Version : Speculation How would you build these characters in 5E?

ZenBear
2016-03-20, 11:50 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--VJ9VpO95--/17n7yg9p8eemnjpg.jpg

With a combination of optimization, insofar as possible, and roleplay. Accept some changes; you don't need Tesla to have an actual lightning gun, he can cast lightning bolt instead. Alternatively, make it a magic item.

IMO: Tesla the Artificer, obvious. Lovecraft... Rogue with high INT and Expertise in Arcana, History, Religion, Investigation. Or Divination Wizard. I want to say Warlock GOO Pact obviously, but Livecraft was not Charismatic, by all accounts. That being said, homebrew swap CHA for INT and I'm onboard.

Falcon X
2016-03-21, 01:05 PM
First off, all magic could be reflavored as technology if you wanted. Whenever a character learns a spell, instead it's just an invention they made like a lightning gun (lightning bolt), pheromone spray (charm), summon monster (teleportation device from unknown origins).

You might also consider storm sorcerer for Tesla, though a modded wizard is pretty good.

I'm on board for Lovecraft being an INT based warlock. Just get DM approval. Shouldn't be hard as CHA is generally better than INT.

Oramac
2016-03-21, 01:54 PM
storm sorcerer for Tesla

This is what I would go with as well. The metamagic stuff could be modified ammunition for the Lightning Gun, or something like that.

Thrudd
2016-03-21, 01:56 PM
You wouldn't. D&D isn't really made for that genre. You would have to strip the game of its implied setting and rewrite the classes, treasure, and most of the monsters to fit the pulp/steampunk/lovecraft mythos thing.

Reaper34
2016-03-21, 05:34 PM
i'd switch systems to hollow earth expiditions by exile games and go from there.