PDA

View Full Version : [MitPII]: Terrifying, annoying and useful

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-20, 12:21 PM
Announcement: With polls disabled, votes should be posted in the threads themselves or PMed to myself and Fax. Format your votes like this so that it will be easier to pick them out from the rest of your post: MitP Vote: Yes or MitP Vote: No. Thank you.

Psuedothreat
Tiny Fey
HD 2d6+2 (9hp)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); Fly 40ft (Average); Dimensional Jump (see below)
Init: +4
AC 17 (+2 size, +4 dex, +1 natural); touch 14; flat-footed 13
BAB +1; Grp -4
Attack Bite +4 (1d4+1)
Full-Attack Bite +4 (1d4+1)
Space 2.5 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Paralysis
Special Qualities Spell-like abilities; Dimensional Jump, Dimensional Burst, Know Fears, Invisibility, Silent Image
Saves Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities Str 5, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Hide +10, Craft (any) +10, Spot +5, Move Silently+10
Feats Forge Ring or Craft Wondrous Item or Craft Magic Arms And Armor or Brew Potion, see below
Environment Woodland, Caves
Organization solitary, group (2-6)
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure varies, see details below
Alignment Usually Neutral
Advancement 2-4 HD
Level Adjustment n/a

It scared the hell out of us, but at least I don't have to worry as much about undead - Jimmy the Optimist

Psuedothreats are small Fey creatures with skin coloured green, brown or gray depending on their environment and wearing clothes made of bark or small shards of slate. They enjoy frightening travelers (but never maliciously), normally by following them for a few days and making them nervous by using their teleport to move items around. When they have finally decided that their victims are nervous enough they use their Know Enemy spell like ability to find out what would scare them the most, then attempt to replicate it with a Silent Illusion. If they succeed (usually judged by making at least one of their victims scream in terror or in some way make a fool of themselves) then they will will reveal themselves to the party (often giggling uncontrollably) and award them with a mundane alchemical item. If there is a group of 5-6 of them then one of them will be the leader and have higher a hit dice than the rest. In this case there is a 10% chance per its HD that they will instead offer them a quest in exchange for a magical item based on their Craft skill and feat, roll a 1d4 to decide what this is and consult the table below.

{table=head]
1d4 Roll|
Craft Skill|
Feat

1|
Craft(ring)|
Forge Ring

2|
Craft(tool)|
Craft Wondrous Item

3|
Craft(Weaponsmithing)|
Craft Magic Arms And Armor

4|
Craft(Alchemy)|
Brew Potion[/table]

The quests tend to bizarre in nature, anything from giving a speech using a random word to retrieving a stone from a certain area of a dungeon (It is recommended that the DM choose the quest after the item has been rolled to ensure its fair).

Psuedothreats are about 1 to 1.5 ft tall and weigh a little less than 1lb. They speak Sylvan and the language of whatever race they live nearest to (usually common for forest dwellers or terran in the case of cave dwellers).

Paralysis(Ex) Anyone hit by a psuedothreat's bite attack must succeed on a DC15 save or be paralyzed, they may make a DC10 check after 3 rounds to recover, if they fail they may make a check once every subsequent round.

Dimensional Jump(Su) Once every five minutes a psuedothreat may teleport itself or a small item (as a rule anything that could be held in an average human's hand) within a foot of itself to any point within a radius 20ft of its current position. Items teleported into bags, piles of things etc will displace other objects if it is possible to do so, otherwise the pile is treated as a solid substance and the item ejected accordingly. If an item or Pseudothreat jumps into a solid object it is returned to its original position, in the later case it will be dazed.

Dimensional Burst(Su) Once per day a psuedothreat may teleport 5 times per round in quick succession for up to 3 rounds. They will do this to either confuse someone (by appearing all over the place) or to flee.

Know Fears(Su) Once per day a psuedothreat can tell what any one intelligent being within 30 ft. of them hates or fears the most (e.g. a ranger's favoured enemy or something a character has a fear of).

Invisibility(Sp) Functions as the spell as if it was cast by a 5th level wizard.

Silent Image(Sp) Functions as the spell as if it was cast by a 5th level wizard.

Combat

Pseudothreats never willingly engage in combat. If they are threatened they try to paralyze as many of their attackers as possible with their bite before fleeing by using Dimensional Burst to travel in a strait line.

deadfalcon
2007-06-20, 12:37 PM
lol, this could be fun to use. Just a few pointers, consider changeing teleport to Dim door, and also you need to say that silent image and invisiblity are at will (i'm assuming they are) also I'm not sure it's a CR3, it feels more like a 2. One last thing, the giving away of magic items is going to give the PC's way too much loot, the minor items (appart from the potions) are rare to roll on a random loot table so just handing them over to the party is abit overpowerd.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-20, 12:55 PM
lol, this could be fun to use. Just a few pointers, consider changeing teleport to Dim door, and also you need to say that silent image and invisiblity are at will (i'm assuming they are) also I'm not sure it's a CR3, it feels more like a 2. One last thing, the giving away of magic items is going to give the PC's way too much loot, the minor items (appart from the potions) are rare to roll on a random loot table so just handing them over to the party is abit overpowerd.

I've tweaked the criteria for getting a magic item so there's less chance and the players have to do some sort of (hopefully nonsensical) quest to get it. I've changed teleport to a different name (it was supposed to be a custom ability and I forgot there was a spell called teleport).

deadfalcon
2007-06-20, 01:10 PM
With those changes you get my vote

Mitp vote: yes

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-21, 04:36 AM
Has anyone got anything else to add/votes to cast?

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-22, 01:14 PM
Anyone? Anyone at all?

Poppatomus
2007-06-22, 01:40 PM

I like it. Good flavor, unique abilities, built in plot hook. An encounter that's different for a reason other than the numbers behind the screen. Exactly the kind of thing you'd want in a project like this i'd imagine.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-22, 05:38 PM

I like it. Good flavor, unique abilities, built in plot hook. An encounter that's different for a reason other than the numbers behind the screen. Exactly the kind of thing you'd want in a project like this i'd imagine.

Excellent </Mr Burns>

Demented
2007-06-22, 07:48 PM
Anything that appears in front of you, giggling after having just scared the **** out of you, is full of win.

MitP2: Yes

Matthew
2007-06-22, 11:55 PM
Shouldn't the Hit Dice be 2D6+2 (9)?

I think Grapple should be -4 [BAB (1) + Size (2) + Size (-4) + Strength (-3)]

The Attack Lines look wrong; how are you arriving at AB 4 and DB +1?

Saves should be: Fortitude 0(1), Reflexes 3(7), Willpower 3(4)

Skills should be 35 [5 x (6 + 1)], seems like you have a lot more to add.

...or so I think, maybe I'm missing something?

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-23, 06:17 AM
Shouldn't the Hit Dice be 2D6+2 (9)?

I think Grapple should be -4 [BAB (1) + Size (2) + Size (-4) + Strength (-3)]

The Attack Lines look wrong; how are you arriving at AB 4 and DB +1?

Saves should be: Fortitude 0(1), Reflexes 3(7), Willpower 3(4)

Skills should be 35 [5 x (6 + 1)], seems like you have a lot more to add.

...or so I think, maybe I'm missing something?

No your not missing anything, I'm just new to homebrewing so I make the odd mistake with stats here and there.

Plus I'm not actually that sure how to calculate attack and damage bonuses.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-24, 09:07 AM
Anymore critiques?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-06-24, 11:26 AM
Great. MitP Vote: Yes

Icewalker
2007-06-24, 08:46 PM
Anything that appears in front of you, giggling after having just scared the **** out of you, is full of win.

Exactly. I love this thing, and am definitely going to use one. Great plan.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-26, 06:23 AM
Tally;

Yes: 5 No: 0

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-28, 07:01 AM
How many times per day can it use invisibility and silent image?

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-28, 07:54 AM
How many times per day can it use invisibility and silent image?

As often as it wants.

Joltz
2007-06-28, 11:37 AM
Another amusing creature to use in non-combat encounters, I love it

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-28, 11:48 AM
Another amusing creature to use in non-combat encounters, I love it

Thank you.

Khaldan
2007-06-28, 11:58 AM
thats just funny..

MITP2 vote: yes

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-28, 12:07 PM
thats just funny..

MITP2 vote: yes

And thank you.

Matthew
2007-06-28, 10:52 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-28, 11:08 PM
MitP vote: Yes

AKA_Bait
2007-06-29, 03:56 PM
I whole heartedly approve.

Anxe
2007-06-30, 08:53 AM
I hate fey of every kind. Nasty little creatures. Always pranking me and stealing my daggers, so I can't poke them and make them not steal my daggers. This one's even worse. It pranks you then asks for a favor. GAAAA! I already want to fight it. Mitp: Yes

barawn
2007-06-30, 09:05 AM
I've tweaked the criteria for getting a magic item so there's less chance and the players have to do some sort of (hopefully nonsensical) quest to get it. I've changed teleport to a different name (it was supposed to be a custom ability and I forgot there was a spell called teleport).

Shouldn't Dim Jump and Dim Burst be supernaturals, not spell-likes (see Phase Spider)? If they really should be spell-likes, they need a spell-level equivalent.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-30, 10:05 AM
Shouldn't Dim Jump and Dim Burst be supernaturals, not spell-likes (see Phase Spider)? If they really should be spell-likes, they need a spell-level equivalent.

Good point.

Matthew
2007-07-06, 07:09 PM
Turns out Grapple is actually -6 in this case. The penalties for Size override the Bonuses, rather than stacking with them.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-12, 09:18 AM
As often as it wants.

You should specify that they're usable at will, then.

Bloody_Dagger
2007-07-12, 04:06 PM
Another cool monster to throw at my unwitting pcs :smallwink:

Hranat
2007-07-12, 04:19 PM
Nothing to add, really...