PDA

View Full Version : War and XPs and Start of Darkness now available in PDF from Gumroad

The Giant
2016-03-21, 07:43 AM
Well that didn't take long.

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/OOTS03_GumroadCover4in.png (https://gumroad.com/l/ootswaxp)http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/OOTS99_GumroadCover4in.png (https://gumroad.com/l/ootssod)

War and XPs Digital Edition and Start of Darkness Digital Edition are both available for purchase on Gumroad (https://gumroad.com/richburlew).

A new bulleted list of features:
PDF format that works great on the tablet of your choice!
Art is still in its native vector format, allowing you to zoom in with no loss of quality!
Updated lettering to match last year's Blood Runs in the Family and current strip dialogue!
War and XPs features all-new essay tidbits, "After the War" looking back on the old material with maximum nostalgia!
Fully bookmarked and hyperlinked to each strip referenced in the commentaries!
No digital rights management—just a single watermark on the front cover!
Some typos fixed, others almost certainly introduced!
Digital delivery allows lower prices! Just $19 for War and XPs, $12 for Start of Darkness].

A lot of questions about the PDFs have been answered in the previous (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?437208-Digital-PDF-versions-of-Dungeon-Crawlin-Fools-On-the-Origin-of-PCs-now-on-sale!) two threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478687-Digital-PDF-of-No-Cure-for-the-Paladin-Blues-is-now-on-sale) about the release of DCF/OTOPCs and NCFPB, respectively, but if you have any additional questions or concerns (or technical issues), then feel free to ask them here. Thanks!

Expected FAQs!
I can't figure out how to buy them!
You can get to the new books by clicking here for WAXP (https://gumroad.com/l/ootswaxp) or here for SOD (https://gumroad.com/l/ootswaxp), or on the big cover pictures above, or you can get to the Giant in the Playground profile page at Gumroad (which lists all the products we have one page) by clicking here (https://gumroad.com/richburlew).

Will the rest of the books be coming out?
Yes! Unless sales really fall off a cliff or something, I have every intention of releasing all the regular books in the series as PDFs, eventually. (Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (https://ookoodook.com/products/gtpotsdr) will probably remain an Ookoodook-exclusive until we sell out of the last paper copy.)

When will the rest of the books be coming out?
Uncertain, as I need to juggle the relettering with other work, but my goal is to get the rest of the series out before the end of the year, if not sooner. Obviously, these two books came hot on the heels of the previous one, but don't necessarily expect the next release to happen so quickly.

How do I get my PDFs?
You'll get an email with a download link a few minutes after ordering. Keep an eye on your spam folder, just in case.

What does the watermark look like?
It's on the first page (the cover), and it's a small grey ribbon-shape with the Gumroad "G" logo, next to which it says "Sold to" and then the email address that you gave when you purchased the book. So don't buy using your top secret email.

Why does the listing say that War and XPs is 292 pages when the print versions is 288?
The page count includes the front and back covers, inside and out.

Why did you reletter the old comics? I like Comic Sans!
For the same reason I relettered Blood Runs in the Family—because they were created on an old version of Adobe Illustrator, and updating to the new one caused them to burst their balloons slightly. Since I had to touch each one manually to fix it, I decided I might as well use the current font.

Why did you change the typography on the commentaries?
The original layout for both of these books was done in Quark Xpress 3.3—a program I don't have access to anymore, so I couldn't even open them. I needed to lay them out from scratch in Adobe InDesign, which is what I've used for the more recent books. That meant retyping the old commentaries.

Did you make any other corrections to the art?
A few really egregious errors that had slipped by, though I probably missed some yet again. Not much else.

Why are you using Gumroad instead of (insert name of other company)?
Because they charge the lowest commission, which means I could lower the price more. Plus, most other companies that offer a watermark service add it to every single page, which seemed like overkill to me. One page is enough.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or technical difficulties, feel free to post them here (though I don't know how much help I can be with the technical stuff; we may have to wait for Gumroad customer service for that).

The Giant
2016-03-21, 07:44 AM
And yes, there will be a comic later today. I'm still working on it.

Grey Watcher
2016-03-21, 07:47 AM
And yes, there will be a comic later today. I'm still working on it.

But discussing the update schedule is against the Rules! :smallwink:

CoffeeIncluded
2016-03-21, 08:03 AM
Woo-hoo! Guess I'll be all caught up now--thanks!

nachoted
2016-03-21, 08:50 AM
Great Thanks GIANT!!! Two more added to my library, thanks again for making them available in pdf format.

Armitage
2016-03-21, 09:05 AM
You keep on delivering, we keep on buying. The age-old promise still holds true.

I wonder, could you at some point share some information abut how the PDFs sell? I'm not talking about absolute numbers, more along the lines of 'the prequel books outsell the others at a rate 2:1' or suchlike.

The Giant
2016-03-21, 09:16 AM
I wonder, could you at some point share some information abut how the PDFs sell? I'm not talking about absolute numbers, more along the lines of 'the prequel books outsell the others at a rate 2:1' or suchlike.

Sales trickle over time, but based solely on the first two books that were offered together, the prequel outsells the compilation title at a rate of 4:3. Whether that's based on price or the fact that none of the content is online, I couldn't say.

infinityman
2016-03-21, 10:31 AM
That didn't take long indeed! A great surprise for Monday! Guess I know what I'm getting myself for Easter...

Morquard
2016-03-21, 11:11 AM
Yay, that is great news! Thank you!

Porthos
2016-03-21, 11:55 AM
Well this is a welcome and unexpected surprise*. :smallsmile:

* Yeah, yeah. " How, exactly, can a surprise be expected?" Bah. You know what I mean.

Ordered and downloading. :smallsmile:

====

EDITED TO NOT DOUBLE POST:

Found an error in W&XP, I'm afraid.

In the Vaarsuvius Chalkboard recap, the first page has a comic title that says 'Comic Title' while the second page says '121x "Ominous" Would Have Worked, Too".

Neither are in the print version of W&XP, as the space where there are titles were both blank in the book. The 121x looks to be an artifact from NCftPB. as that was the title of the first extra strip in that book.

The Giant
2016-03-21, 01:11 PM
Found an error in W&XP, I'm afraid.

In the Vaarsuvius Chalkboard recap, the first page has a comic title that says 'Comic Title' while the second page says '121x "Ominous" Would Have Worked, Too".

Neither are in the print version of W&XP, as the space where there are titles were both blank in the book. The 121x looks to be an artifact from NCftPB. as that was the title of the first extra strip in that book.

OK, this is fixed now. If you already bought it and want the new fixed file, just go to the email you got with the download link and download it again. Since it's such a minor change I'm not going to bother to update the version number (only about 20 people have the incorrect version already, and it doesn't really impact the book's readability or anything).

ChillerInstinct
2016-03-21, 01:13 PM
Nice, been waiting for SoD since this PDF thing started. Will have to make a point of picking it up once I've got the spare cash.

ChristianSt
2016-03-21, 01:29 PM
Mh. Currently it seems that I cannot pay with PayPal :/.

I found a blog post on Gumroad saying that this might temporarily happen. Has anyone any experience with this (best an ETA on when it is back again)?

I want to buy the books but I vastly prefer to buy with PayPal (especially since I previously used PayPal for Gumroad)

hymie
2016-03-21, 01:58 PM
Thank you! Purchased. Moar pleez.

=====

So can somebody please remind me what is the "proper" order to read the books in, so that spoilers and background happens in the correct order?

I want to say that each "extras" book appears between a set of "strips" books, so

Dungeon Crawlin' Fools
On The Origins of PCs
No Cure for the Paladin Blues
Start of Darkness
War and XPs

(I like to rename my books so that they appear in my file listing in the proper order.)

Is this correct?

Arkku
2016-03-21, 02:00 PM
Instant buy.

Great stuff, really looking forward to being able to read all the comics on the iPad Pro. =)

Armitage
2016-03-21, 02:16 PM
So can somebody please remind me what is the "proper" order to read the books in, so that spoilers and background happens in the correct order?

I want to say that each "extras" book appears between a set of "strips" books, so

Dungeon Crawlin' Fools
On The Origins of PCs
Start of Darkness
War and XPs.
That should be correct.
To be sure: Just read the forewords by Rich. for each of the two prequels he spells out when they should be read to avoid spoilers.

ti'esar
2016-03-21, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm not sure I can afford them just now, but this is nonetheless great news.

_Jarlaxle_
2016-03-21, 03:39 PM
Are Start of Darkness and On The Origin of PCs are really only in Black and White or am I reading this wrong?

NerdyKris
2016-03-21, 03:45 PM
Yes, they were done in black and white to save on printing costs. The original artwork was done in black and white, not color, so making them color would require redoing the entire book.

Armitage
2016-03-21, 03:55 PM
Saying they're in black and white might give the wrong impression (even if it's technically correct). They are in gray-scale. So black and white and all colors in-between, as long as they can be reproduced using only black ink :)

Elkins
2016-03-21, 05:10 PM

Personally, I prefer the order in which they are listed at the front of the books:

Dungeon Crawlin' Fools
On the Origins of PCs
War and XPs
Start of Darkness

I think that the information flow just works better this way. The revelation about Haley's father, for example, is better presented in No Cure than in Origins IMO, and War in XPs' slow unfolding of unexpected facets to Redcloak's character are much more powerful and intriguing when they actually are "unexpected" and a "slow unfolding," neither of which they are at all if you've already read Start of Darkness.

But the order in which you listed them will also work.

(I can't believe it was this question that finally made me delurk. I'm a sad, sad case.)

nyjastul69
2016-03-21, 09:49 PM
Saying they're in black and white might give the wrong impression (even if it's technically correct). They are in gray-scale. So black and white and all colors in-between, as long as they can be reproduced using only black ink :)

Except that gray-scale means little to most people. Black and white means much to many.

Lissou
2016-03-21, 10:21 PM
Mh. Currently it seems that I cannot pay with PayPal :/.

I found a blog post on Gumroad saying that this might temporarily happen. Has anyone any experience with this (best an ETA on when it is back again)?

I want to buy the books but I vastly prefer to buy with PayPal (especially since I previously used PayPal for Gumroad)

I bought both using Paypal, so it's working for me at least. I have no idea if that means it's working for you again but it might be worth re-trying?

achan1058
2016-03-22, 12:45 AM
Love your comic. Bought both of them with Paypal. There's 1 minor complaint though. The size of the files are huge, compared to Origin of PC v3 and Dungeon Crawling Fools v3, even on a per page basis. Is it possible to make them smaller?

JT
2016-03-22, 01:18 AM
Expected FAQs!

WHY DON'T YOU JUST TAKE MY CREDIT CARD AND BE DONE WITH IT????

That's the question I really want answered. It'd be easier to just hand it over, but no, you insist on taking it a little bit at a time.

:) :) :)

ArnaudBo
2016-03-22, 02:06 AM
happy to see them already available :)
and even more with the really wanted "Start of the Darkness" <3

The Giant
2016-03-22, 02:09 AM
Love your comic. Bought both of them with Paypal. There's 1 minor complaint though. The size of the files are huge, compared to Origin of PC v3 and Dungeon Crawling Fools v3, even on a per page basis. Is it possible to make them smaller?

Unfortunately, no. The reason the files are much larger is that they contain crayon drawings or other "raster" artwork, which leads to much higher file sizes when included at high resolution. The first two books do not have that kind of art in them at all, while Paladin Blues and Start of Darkness each have 11 pages of crayon drawings and War and XPs has the big 2-page shot of Roy leaping to the zombie dragon with lens flare (a raster effect), as well as just being a much longer book to begin with.

The raster artwork is already heavily compressed by various methods—the crayon drawings from SoD take up 347 MB uncompressed! The only way to further reduce the size of the final PDF files would be to lower the quality of the images. Since part of the reason people are buying these PDFs is for a "hi res" experience with the vector art, it would be jarring to switch from the crisp lines of the regular art to crappy 72-dpi web images.

Random Poster
2016-03-22, 03:54 AM
Well that didn't take long.

No kidding; I was expecting you to take at least a couple more months to get these books ready. Of course, it's always nice to have my expectations crushed in a positive way. :smallsmile:

I bought both books as soon as I saw the announcement. I started with Start of Darkness since I that was all new material to me, and... wow. Just wow. Although the book can't make quite the same impact now as it did when it first came out, since some of the major plot points (like the fact that Redcloak has lied to Xykon from the beginning) have been revealed in the main comic, it's still pretty impressive. There's one thing I can't help wondering: if Xykon hadn't hooked up with Redcloak, what would he have done? I kinda think he wouldn't have become a lich, at least; he's not exactly the kind of person to plan too far ahead, and while he obviously likes to kill people for no reason whatsoever, I doubt he would ever have bothered to go to the trouble of making himself immortal just so that he could keep doing it forever. On the other hand, Redcloak would of course have found another high-level arcane caster to help with his plan, and since that caster probably wouldn't be someone who's already targeted by a Blood Oath of Vengance, it would make things much better for him and the goblinoids, and much worse for the rest of the world.

When will the rest of the books be coming out?
Uncertain, as I need to juggle the relettering with other work, but my goal is to get the rest of the series out before the end of the year, if not sooner. Obviously, these two books came hot on the heels of the previous one, but don't necessarily expect the next release to happen so quickly.

Yeah, I for one would actually prefer you to work on creating new content instead of redoing old content, but that's just my opinion which you are free to ignore.

lothos
2016-03-22, 06:54 AM
Hello,
just bought both .pdfs. Wonderful.

Rich - I was kind of hoping you might fix the small mistake in start of darkness that I posted about here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?204626-Minor-Error-in-Start-of-Darkness&highlight=darkness) :-)

It's in the last panel of page 90, where the modifier for 17 strength is +4 instead of +3, it's +3 for 15 STR instead of +2 and it's +2 for 13 STR instead of +1.

Again though, it in no way diminished my enjoyment of the book in paper format and it won't here in the .pdf.

Thanks again for making these available in a format I can carry around on my iPhone.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-22, 11:07 AM
I thought we'd have to wait another month or two for this...

TAKE MY MONEY TAKE IT NOW!!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Drazsyr
2016-03-22, 01:27 PM
Again, I want to reiterate my thanks for making these books available online. Allows me to support you in a format that I am progressive towards, and allows me to read all the extra stuff that you put in. Thank You.

Robotic Magus
2016-03-22, 04:09 PM
Finally, I can read SoD. I was always interested in the books, especially the non-webcomic content. But the shipping cost to Europe just about doubled the price. Now that there is no shipping cost, I can finally get all the books. I'm very glad that all the books are coming in PDF format.

dmaxno
2016-03-24, 09:51 AM
Finally, I can read SoD. I was always interested in the books, especially the non-webcomic content. But the shipping cost to Europe just about doubled the price. Now that there is no shipping cost, I can finally get all the books. I'm very glad that all the books are coming in PDF format.

Ditto.

Great books, I got all the PDFs so far. Thank you Giant!

The Giant
2016-03-25, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I for one would actually prefer you to work on creating new content instead of redoing old content, but that's just my opinion which you are free to ignore.

I am working on creating new content. It's just new content that is overdue for my Kickstarter backers and which therefore doesn't make me any additional income at this time. If I released new original content for the general public while I still owed those 15,000+ backers material that I promised 4 years ago, it would be a slap in the face to everyone who supported me then. Releasing these books allows me to continue paying my bills while I still prioritize my existing obligations to them.

Grey Watcher
2016-03-25, 02:39 PM
I am working on creating new content. It's just new content that is overdue for my Kickstarter backers and which therefore doesn't make me any additional income at this time. If I released new original content for the general public while I still owed those 15,000+ backers material that I promised 4 years ago, it would be a slap in the face to everyone who supported me then. Releasing these books allows me to continue paying my bills while I still prioritize my existing obligations to them.

Can I just say that, even though I'm not one of those waiting on Kickstarter content (beyond the general release stuff like "How the Paladin Got His Scar"), I really appreciate how seriously and personally you take doing right by your fans?

littlebum2002
2016-03-25, 02:54 PM
When the Kickstarter drive started, I didn't know what it was and thought it was a big money stealing scam so I didn't even donate the $1 it would have cost to get the PDF's. Talk about regret!!

Anyway, Rich I for one really appreciate these PDFs (TBH the OOTS books were the first paper books i'd bought in years, I get everything in electronic format now). The moment you said you the initial experiment worked and you were publishing them all in PDF format I bought them and have bought every one since. They're awesome.

And I live in America, but the shipping cost to other countries was a common complaint I had heard and I'm glad to hear everyone can experience the prequel books and bonus content now.

Arkku
2016-03-26, 02:08 PM
Just finished reading War and XPs. Spotted two errors:

• 416, panel 3, "acid-sptting" should be "acid-spitting"
• 413a, panel 4, "make due" should be "make do"

Zar Peter
2016-03-26, 03:16 PM
Well, I will buy the books as soon Gumroad let me use Paypal again...

Grey Watcher
2016-03-26, 03:17 PM
Just finished reading War and XPs. Spotted two errors:

• 416, panel 3, "acid-sptting" should be "acid-spitting"
• 413a, panel 4, "make due" should be "make do"

As for the latter, I believe both are considered valid versions of the phrase.

Arkku
2016-03-26, 04:31 PM
As for the latter, I believe both are considered valid versions of the phrase.

It is a very common error and thus may appear to be somewhat legit simply by being so frequently used, but it is an error never-the-less, and clearly arises from the similar pronunciation of "do" and "due" (at least in America) – the word "due" makes no sense in the context other than sounding similar.

Of course it may come to pass that the misuse will become so common that it ends up being accepted as valid usage despite being utterly illogical (compare to saying "could care less" when one means "couldn't care less"), but here's a chance to fight that before it happens! =)

Grey Watcher
2016-03-26, 05:36 PM
It is a very common error and thus may appear to be somewhat legit simply by being so frequently used, but it is an error never-the-less, and clearly arises from the similar pronunciation of "do" and "due" (at least in America), the word "due" makes no sense in the context other than sounding similar.

Of course it may come to pass that the misuse will become so common that it ends up being accepted as valid usage despite being utterly illogical (compare to saying "could care less" when one means "couldn't care less"), but here's a chance to fight that before it happens! =)

Well, "do" is indeed the original, but "make due" makes sense as well (as in it's good enough to satisfy what is due).

Also, grammarist dies point out which is the original, but as for fighting it even they've given up with a hearty "meh".

http://grammarist.com/usage/make-do-make-due/

TL;DR, the ship has sailed on "due" becoming an acceptable variant. ;-P

But all this is academic. Ultimately, Rich will decide whether or not he wants to change it.

Lissou
2016-03-26, 11:05 PM
Huh. I had no idea "due" was so common that it's an acceptable spelling now. Then again, I didn't even notice the Giant wrote "make due". I probably mentally spelled it the way I'm familiar with while I was reading.

hrožila
2016-03-28, 07:23 AM
The thing with "make due" is that it only really works in American dialects.

Unregistered
2016-03-28, 04:55 PM
I was a bit surprised to see that Varsuuvius is still missing his right arm in #321, second-to-last panel.

And some scenes work less well than in the book or the online version: #422a/b (Azure City defenders on one side, Hobgiblin army on the other side), #430a/b (Roy jumping on the Zombie dragon) and #443a/b (Roy falling). I guess with the former two, you can just put the pages next to each other. But still, with the pdf you sometimes get the worst of two worlds (which is still good in this case).

It looks a bit rude how I open up with what seem as minor complaints so let me be clear: I love the pdf-releases as I do love OotS!

Lissou
2016-03-28, 07:40 PM
I was a bit surprised to see that Varsuuvius is still missing his right arm in #321, second-to-last panel.

And some scenes work less well than in the book or the online version: #422a/b (Azure City defenders on one side, Hobgiblin army on the other side), #430a/b (Roy jumping on the Zombie dragon) and #443a/b (Roy falling). I guess with the former two, you can just put the pages next to each other. But still, with the pdf you sometimes get the worst of two worlds (which is still good in this case).

It looks a bit rude how I open up with what seem as minor complaints so let me be clear: I love the pdf-releases as I do love OotS!

I've always thought that the strip of Roy falling really works best online and just isn't the same when formatted for a print (or pdf) book, but I also think this is the best layout for the constraints involved.

I have not noticed a problem with the other two. They would be a problem with an e-reader (which I sometimes use for comics) because those only display one page at once, two pages would be too small to read, but on a computer/tablet you can switch to double page view.

Considering the pdf comes with links to any mentioned strip and the ability to go directly to a specific strip, I would say it's not the worst of both worlds from my point of view, it simply suffers from the limits of its own format, but comes with its own advantages as well. That's why I prefer to get both version :P

LeeorV
2016-03-29, 06:34 AM
Bought both books, and enjoyed the heck out of SOD. Finally got to read it!

I'd forgotten how good War and XPs is, it's really awesome!

Thanks Rich!

Keltest
2016-03-29, 06:45 AM

Clearly what was actually meant is "Make Dew." They want to go and work for Pepsi.

Lissou
2016-03-29, 07:15 AM
Clearly what was actually meant is "Make Dew." They want to go and work for Pepsi.

"Dew" also only works in American :P Both "due" and "dew" have an I sound in other forms of English.

Keltest
2016-03-29, 01:21 PM
"Dew" also only works in American :P Both "due" and "dew" have an I sound in other forms of English.

My American brain is struggling to even comprehend that.

factotum
2016-03-29, 03:05 PM

??? Not in UK English--they sound different to "do", but there's certainly no "I" sound there?

hrožila
2016-03-29, 03:14 PM
??? Not in UK English--they sound different to "do", but there's certainly no "I" sound there?
It could be argued that, at a phonemic level, there is a palatal glide or "I" sound (compare British /njuː/ to American /nuː/ for new for a clearer example of this phenomenon). But the actual realization of the sequence /d/+/j/ in due and dew is [dʒuː] in many dialects (compared to American [duː] and to Received Pronunciation [djuː]).

See here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_consonant_clusters #Yod-coalescence) and here (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_dialect-dependent_homophones#Yod-dropping_and_coalescence) for more info.

littlebum2002
2016-03-29, 03:18 PM
It could be argued that, at a phonemic level, there is a palatal glide or "I" sound (compare British /njuː/ to American /nuː/ for new for a clearer example of this phenomenon). But the actual realization of the sequence /d/+/j/ in due and dew is [dʒuː] in many dialects (compared to American [duː] and to Received Pronunciation [djuː]).

See here (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_dialect-dependent_homophones#Yod-dropping_and_coalescence) for more info.

Any guy with a "ž" in his username automatically gets my trust in anything language related

Peelee
2016-03-29, 04:33 PM

I scoff at your idea of American dialect pronunciation (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0). "Due" is pronounced "d-yo͞o," while "do" is pronounced "do͞o."

Lissou
2016-03-30, 03:43 PM

See here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_consonant_clusters #Yod-coalescence) and here (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_dialect-dependent_homophones#Yod-dropping_and_coalescence) for more info.

Thanks for the explanation! It's possible I'm just pronouncing them "wrong". I pronounce the difference between the US "due/dew" and the non-US ones the same as the difference between the US "new" and the non-US "new" (noo vs nyoo).

So I pronounce do "doo" and dew/due "dyoo". I can totally see how it would evolve into "djoo" instead, although in that case, is it pronounced the same as "jew"?

Jasdoif
2016-03-30, 04:20 PM
I'd have guessed it was "make due", because it meant improvised resources don't need to produce an exceptional product, just an adequate one (as in, they can only make what's due).

orrion
2016-04-04, 08:35 PM
SoD-specific link in the Giant's post goes to War and XPs.

Not a huge deal given there's 2 other links to all the PDFs available, but.. yeah.

LadyEowyn
2016-04-05, 05:18 PM
Thanks so much for doing this, Rich! I've been wanting to read Start of Darkness for a long time, but none of the local bookstores had it, and I'm not in the US so shipping was prohibitive.

It's excellent. Very happy I was able to buy it now.

MaSch
2016-04-12, 01:12 AM
Thanks,

I really enjoyed Start of Darkness.

Robotic Magus
2016-04-17, 08:27 AM
On page 461 there is a floating skeletal hand above the base of the stairs in the fifth panel. When I went back to the online comic, I saw it was on there as well. It's really tiny and kind of hard to see.

Peelee
2016-04-18, 10:20 AM
On page 461 there is a floating skeletal hand above the base of the stairs in the fifth panel. When I went back to the online comic, I saw it was on there as well. It's really tiny and kind of hard to see.

Did you mean to put this in the "Things I Never Noticed" thread?

Porthos
2016-04-18, 01:41 PM

I beleive he is suggesting it is an art error that Rich might want to fix one day. Going back to #448 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html) and #449 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html), it looks to be Xykon's hand that is above that one paladin's head. Presumably part of that throne/stairs was copy and pasted into #461 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0461.html) but the hand was missed on cleanup.

It really is almost impossible to see at computer resolution for the online comic (kinda a white blur), but checking the two strips previous, it seems pretty clear to me that is what is going on.

factotum
2016-04-18, 02:06 PM

From the way he worded it I assumed he meant this was a mistake in the graphics which is more obvious in the PDF than in the online strip, so why would it go in Things I Never Noticed?

Peelee
2016-04-18, 05:10 PM
From the way he worded it I assumed he meant this was a mistake in the graphics which is more obvious in the PDF than in the online strip, so why would it go in Things I Never Noticed?

Because i an not a smart man, and missed the implication that it's a mistake.

lost_my_NHL
2016-06-24, 07:05 PM
Holy moley... I always shied away from buying the print books, because I move a lot and was afraid I would lose the comics. I had so wanted to read start of darkness for years.

And boy, it did not disappoint. I was surprised how nauseous I felt when Xykon browbeat Redcloak at the end of the battle with Dorukan. Until then, I had always felt Redcloak's motivation to be a too-flat "means justify ends" deal. Xykon had always seemed capricious and selfish, but never cruel.

So happy I'm going to go buy Origin of the PCs on PDF :)

The Giant
2016-06-29, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the kind words. :smallsmile:

In other news, those of you looking to get the complete set of books in PDF might want to keep an eye on things here today. No reason.

Don Ohnic
2016-06-29, 05:11 AM

In other news, those of you looking to get the complete set of books in PDF might want to keep an eye on things here today. No reason.

Yohooo! Thanks for the heads up.

Ruck
2016-06-29, 05:36 AM

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/sand/icons/icon_thumbsup.png

When I saw a new post in this thread I was reminded of how much I was anticipating the DTSP and BRITF PDFs, since I travel a lot. This is good news indeed.

b_jonas
2016-06-29, 03:44 PM
Hello. I'm writing here to say that I just bought Origin of the PCs in digital form. I enjoy the story and drawings in it. Good to learn about Durkon's and Haley's early back story and how the Order got together. And I like how you're slowly releasing all the books in digital form as well as paper. I like the high quality zoomable vector art of course. I'll probably eventually buy the other books in digital form too, but I'll take my time, because they're not very cheap.

Anyway, the part I hate the most is Gumroad. The interface of that webshop is quite bad. I know it's not really your fault, and that you probably can't find a better one, but I still want to say it.

Also, I have two minor confusions about the book. 1. The filename of the PDF download is "OOTS00_OnTheOriginOfPCs_DigitalEdition_v3.pdf" , but page ii says "Digital Edition v2", which seems a bit odd. 2. It distracted me a bit that Eugene calls his oath sometimes "a Blood Oath of Vengeance", and sometimes "an Oath of Blood Vengeance".