PDA

View Full Version : What are the best cleric buffs for each spell level?

Douche
2016-03-21, 09:32 AM
Up to like, 5th level spells, for instance.

I've just got 3rd level spells last week (Life cleric, fyi). Been using Bless so far. Used protection from poison in one important instance... What are some other good buffs to cast as a cleric?

Debuffs are cool too, but I would rather have a guaranteed bonus from casting on friends, rather than risking a save. Still, we can discuss debuffs as well.

MaxWilson
2016-03-21, 09:55 AM
Bless obviously.

For a certain type of playstyle, where your DM does not guarantee balanced encounters, high-level Aid is huge. Good duration, multiple targets, no concentration.

Death Ward is also excellent for that same playstyle. When you're down to 20 HP against an adult red dragon, Death Ward is the difference between having to panic and withdraw/Dodge/Hide in case he insta-kills you with his breath weapon, vs. getting to cooly fire off another round of spells or attacks.

Warding Bond is a no-concentration "free" +1 to AC and +1 to saving throws. The damage-sharing is more of a mixed bag, but for certain kinds of clerics (Life Clerics) who have a way to bonus-heal themselves at the same time as others, it's more like just pure resistance. It's still a bit situational, but a good spell to have access to nevertheless.

RulesJD
2016-03-21, 09:57 AM
Up to like, 5th level spells, for instance.

I've just got 3rd level spells last week (Life cleric, fyi). Been using Bless so far. Used protection from poison in one important instance... What are some other good buffs to cast as a cleric?

Debuffs are cool too, but I would rather have a guaranteed bonus from casting on friends, rather than risking a save. Still, we can discuss debuffs as well.

Level 1 - Bless
Level 2 - Bless
Level 3 - Bless
Level 4 - Bless
Level 5 - Greater Rest....just kidding it's Bless

Bless is the best "buff" spell in the game. The only context where it isn't the top is if you're facing an enemy with 8 AC and that doesn't force you to make saves.

Gtdead
2016-03-21, 12:37 PM
Bless is one of a kind in 5e. Other classes have to spend a lot of resources to emulate that bonus. Cleric just casts a lvl 1 spell that lasts for a considerable amount of time.
Heroes' Feast is good too. Advantage on all saves.

Biggstick
2016-03-21, 01:06 PM
Level 1: Bless, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
All of these are fantastic buff spells used in the right way. Bless covers most all situations. Shield of Faith is great for putting a little more armor on a tank (And lasts 10 minutes). Sanctuary is great for getting someone out of a bunch of melee bads and preventing opportunity attacks (also concentration free buff).

Level 3: Aid, Warding Bond
Personally I don't see the level 2 spells as being as useful for buffing. I myself am partial to Prayer of Healing, Spiritual Weapon, Hold Person, or Blindness/Deafness. But if you have to choose to buff, go with Aid and Warding Bond.

Level 5: Spirit Guardians, Protection from Energy, Tongues, Water Walk, Create Food and Water, Dispel Magic, Remove Curse
One of the great things about being a Cleric is you can choose which spells to prepare each day. If you're out on the high sea, having Water Walk and Create Food and Water will be a great boon to your team and provide combat options you might not have considered. Dispel Magic and Remove Curse aren't exactly buffs, more so removing de-buffs. If speaking the native tongue (and no one in your party knows the language) is important in your campaign, Tongues is a great ability to put on your party face. Preparing Protection from Energy is a solid choice to make when you know you're facing a dragon soon. Lastly is my favorite Spirit Guardians. Although it might not necessarily be a buff for your team, it's an AOE effect that will draw attention to you by slowing down the enemy as well as doing damage to them every turn.

Level 7: Death Ward, Freedom of Movement
Death Ward is great, not much to be said that isn't on the spell listing itself. Freedom of Movement can be put to phenomenal use by anyone tearing it up in melee range as well.

Can't think of anything else at the moment as I'm afb.

Drackolus
2016-03-21, 01:32 PM
As a fellow life cleric...
lvl 1: Bless, Command, Guiding Bolt
lvl 2: Warding Bond, Hold Person, Enhance Ability, Aid
lvl 3: Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic... most of these slots, for me at least, go to mass healing word. 1d4+5+wis is huge, but then again I have a large party to take full advantage of this.
lvl 4: Banishment (out of the fight is a great debuff), Death Ward sometimes, Guardian of Faith sometimes, Freedom of Movement sometimes... Also a good choice for upcasting Bless, Aid, or for a mass healing word or dispel magic when you're out of 3's.
lvl 5: Hold monster. Paralysis is strong, especially if you're rolling with paladins, barbarians, or rogues. Mass cure wounds is the real killer for a life cleric, of course. But a hold monster is practically an instant-kill. Remember, healing is what you do when you've failed to prevent the damage. Life Clerics just get a lot of (extremely valuable) leeway.

RulesJD
2016-03-21, 03:30 PM
He asked for Buff spells, not just spells in general.

Yes Clerics have spells that are better than Bless (Spirit Guardians), but those aren't buffs.

MaxWilson
2016-03-21, 03:35 PM
Bless is the best "buff" spell in the game. The only context where it isn't the top is if you're facing an enemy with 8 AC and that doesn't force you to make saves.

That's not true in the general case. Greater Invisibility is often better than Bless, for instance, both offensively and defensively.

The nice thing about Bless is that it's cheap! And, it stacks well with advantage from another source.

Bless is one of a kind in 5e. Other classes have to spend a lot of resources to emulate that bonus. Cleric just casts a lvl 1 spell that lasts for a considerable amount of time.
Heroes' Feast is good too. Advantage on all saves.

Advantage on Wisdom saves, you mean.

In order for Heroes' Feast to be really worthwhile, you need to plan tactics that leverage your all-day poison immunity. E.g. Stinking Cloud + Cunning Action (Hide) + Heroes Feast becomes a real nightmare for enemies to fight in.

BTW, as a DM you can create the same nightmare for the PCs by making them fight Shadows in a Stinking Cloud. In the dark.

Ogre Mage
2016-03-21, 11:55 PM
Bless all the way. When in doubt cast bless. It is my favorite buff spell in the game and hard to beat for generic usefulness. Some higher level buffs are stronger but I consider bless the best bang for your buck given the low cost.