PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ravener Soul Ward Ability

Dr. Cliché
2016-03-21, 11:31 AM
I was just looking at the Ravener template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/ravener-CR-2) and my attention was drawn to its Soul Ward ability.

To me, it just seems like a really piddling ability. I mean, the example Ancient Blue Dragon Ravener (CR 20) would have 24hps in its Soul Ward. But, given that it starts with 324, this seems like a pretty small number. And, it can't exactly gain more fast (it basically gets 1-2 extra hp for each character it hits with its breath weapon).

So, am I missing something with regard to Soul Ward?

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-03-21, 11:38 AM
It's a weakness, but one that encourages the ravener to be aggressive. Remember that it also fuels the spells of the ravener; it's not really a HP buffer, so much as a way for the dragon to cast spells from HP and also gain energy from killing.

Necroticplague
2016-03-21, 11:48 AM
I was just looking at the Ravener template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/ravener-CR-2) and my attention was drawn to its Soul Ward ability.

To me, it just seems like a really piddling ability. I mean, the example Ancient Blue Dragon Ravener (CR 20) would have 24hps in its Soul Ward. But, given that it starts with 324, this seems like a pretty small number. And, it can't exactly gain more fast (it basically gets 1-2 extra hp for each character it hits with its breath weapon).

So, am I missing something with regard to Soul Ward?

1. The maximum is 2xHD, so it can have up to 48, or a solid 15% of it's hit points as a bonus.
2. It has quiet a few ways to get more. It can crit-fish with it's natural weapons (which it has 6 of, and an extended range with) for 5 points per crit. Anything near it that dies replenishes it's reserves by a point per hit die.And there's absolutely nothing to stop them from from summoning creatures to fight the party to fill it's reserve when they die.