PDA

View Full Version : Going Shadowrun

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-20, 12:32 PM
So I've been hearing a bit about shadowrun, and I did a little background research, and it seems like something I'd be interested in playing.

So my question is, what books do I need? I looked on Wizards' site, but couldn't find any really helpful info as to what books I should get to start. For now, I'd probably only really afford one book, two at the max (a little low on funds), so I really want to know what books kind of function as the "core rulebooks" for shadowrun.

Also, is there an SRD for shadowrun? Or is that all copyrighted?

Pauwel
2007-06-20, 12:35 PM
I'm fairly sure it's all copyright'd.

There's only one core book, and it's just called Shadowrun 4th Ed.

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-20, 12:43 PM

That's awesome, less money to spend! thanks. I had seen that book, but didn't know if there were any others (as 3.5 dnd has the PHB, DMG, and MM)

Tobrian
2007-06-20, 12:48 PM
So I've been hearing a bit about shadowrun, and I did a little background research, and it seems like something I'd be interested in playing.

So my question is, what books do I need? I looked on Wizards' site, but couldn't find any really helpful info as to what books I should get to start. For now, I'd probably only really afford one book, two at the max (a little low on funds), so I really want to know what books kind of function as the "core rulebooks" for shadowrun.

Also, is there an SRD for shadowrun? Or is that all copyrighted?

Shadowrun has nothing to do with Wizards of the Coast. It's originally by FASA, these days mostly by Fanpro.

The first 3 editions were more or less compatible with each other, the 4th edition isn't really compatible with 3rd, it has a different character creation and rule system that reminds people a bit of World of Darkness in places.

THere's no official d20 Shadowrun, and no SRD.

Unfortunately there's a great many "core" books for Shadowrun because it's scattered over so many supplements (admittedly these days D&D has a lot more supplements), although technically you can play the game with only the Main Rulebook that contains all BASIC stuff (character creation, the basic races, some equipment and cybertech and biotech, some core spells, basic rules for matrix combat,a few monsters, etc).

But most people add at least the Arms and Equipment Guide, a Cybertech supplement, one or more (depending on edition you play in) supplements about Magic for all the special stuff not touched at in the main core book, a Rigger guide (where you get all the cars and drones and stuff in detail), a Monster guide about awakened beasties, etc.
Since most 1st to 3rd edition groups don't allow deckers (hackers with cyberdecks) as PCs for playability reasons, you won't need a Matrix guide unless you're a gamemaster, and probably not even then unless one of the PCs has high hacking skills.

Oh and there's supplements for the setting background, too, the usual cities are Seattle, Chicago, California Free State. For european groups playing in German-speaking countries there's separate stuff detailing Berlin, Rhein-Ruhr Metroplex, Austria and Switzerland etc, written by a German roleplaying company that has the rights for the German editions and translations. The 2nd edition supplement about the British Isles was not actually written by British writers but by Americans and was pretty crappy.

If you want to play Shadowrun lite, yeah.

Iku Rex
2007-06-20, 01:07 PM
Like Tobrian said Shadowrun is not a WotC product. :smallsmile:

Shadowrun 4th edition [amazon link] (http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-Fourth-Fanpro/dp/1932564667/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9298850-7229422?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182361439&sr=8-1)

You can read more here: http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/

4th edition products from FanPro: http://www.fanprodirect.com/SelectProductGroup.php?sid=&gid=SR4E .

I've only played 3rd edition, and while it's not the most well-organized system I've come across it has lots of supplements and people still play it. (3rd ed forum (http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showforum=7)) In addition to the main book the basic supplements are Cannon Companion (equipment), Man and Machine (cyber- and bioware), Magic in the Shadows (magic) and Rigger 3 (vehicles and drones). The Shadowrun Companion has some extra rules and you can find a Critters pdf here (http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/wordpress/?p=5).

Prustan
2007-06-22, 06:59 AM
I have a large range of Shadowrun books, and my favorite is the 3rd Ed. Don't really get 4th Ed. As for books, you can play perfectly well with just the rulebook. For more character options, you also want the Shadowrun Companion (2nd or 3rd Ed - not sure about 1st or 4th Ed.). And others have mentioned the other books which range from helpful to just about essential.

Pauwel
2007-06-22, 10:56 AM
If you want to play Shadowrun lite, yeah.

Well, the first and only Shadowrun book I've read was the 4th Edition corebook, and I thought it was very thorough in its amount of information. I'll do fine with just that.

Jades
2007-06-22, 11:26 AM
The Shadowrun 4ed is the main rule book, but there is also Street Magic.

If you or a party member are going to play a mage, shaman, adept, mystic adept, you'll want Street Magic. New spells, new initiate abilities, new powers, new monsters.

There is a GM screen, which has all the tables on it, its worth picking up, but not necessary.

There's a book on Havens, safe houses basically, that is only needed by those who cannot come up with their own.

And sometime in the distant future, Arsenal will be comming out. Supposively. It will include new guns, gear, and gadgets for our favorite Technomancers, Riggers, and Deckers... I mean hackers.

Oh, and you'll need plenty of d6s. My mage, by the time I retired him, was throwing 21d6 die when casting a combat spell.

BRC
2007-06-22, 03:47 PM
Ive run a few games of Shadowrun using only the core sourcebook, and its worked out decently for me.

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-23, 01:48 AM
I love the Shadowrun setting. There's lots of problems with parts of it, but it's chock full of win.

TheOOB
2007-06-23, 01:56 AM
I play shadowrun 4th edition every friday, it's a great system. You only need the core rulebook to play. Other then that the only other rules book out is street magic (which greatly expands on magic in all aspects, its well worth the money if you have a magician).

My only real complaints is that they need a book to expand upon the rules for hacking and rigging bad, and unwired isn't due till god knows when.