PDA

View Full Version : Which Flying Kobold to be?

Chalkarts
2016-03-21, 07:05 PM
Hey guys, I wanted your advice. I'm about to start a D&D 3.5 game on Roll 20(hehehe). It appears that it will be an airship heavy world, and we're a band of rogues type of thing, I'm thinking air pirates, intriguing.
The DM is allowing me to use my Races of the Dragon book to make a flying kobold. It's a theme I've tested in the cheese grinder(google it) and it was fairly successful.

Now the question I have for you all is this. Given the setting and my flying kobold requirement, my choices are: a Kobold Fighter that fights with a longspear and fly by attacks or A Kobold Sorcerer that flies above the melee tossing spells and it would transition to Dracolexi(a prestige class that specializes in power word spells), I'm having a hard time deciding.

Which do you think?

Gildedragon
2016-03-21, 08:01 PM
I'd vote for sorcerer. Seems more fun, i'd think

MisterKaws
2016-03-21, 08:08 PM
Kobold Sorcerers are known to be... cheesy. If you want power, go for it.

avr
2016-03-21, 08:09 PM
Level? The fighter will fade eventually, possibly right out of the gate if you're starting at or above 6th.

Chalkarts
2016-03-21, 08:21 PM
We're starting at 1st. Base gold, bare bones. Rogues on airships game I think.

atemu1234
2016-03-21, 08:32 PM
Kobold Sorcerers are known to be... cheesy. If you want power, go for it.

Not particularly, in my experience at least.

But go for the greater draconic rite thing. That's fun.

Ramza00
2016-03-21, 08:51 PM
Not particularly, in my experience at least.

But go for the greater draconic rite thing. That's fun.

This has been forever since I thought of this as a build idea but this is something I came up a few years ago. You may be able to optmize it further.

It is a gish/archer type of build that goal is to be versatile but you are using spellcasting to power your main attack and your also have spellcasting for all of the other benefits. Note it really does not start until about level 7 or so and you should really do the draconic right of passage and other techniques to make up for the caster level loss.

Scout 1/Sorcerer 4/Unseen Seer 10/Dragon Devotee 5
4 (sorc)+10 (unseen seer)+2 (dragon devotee)=16th level casting (8th level spells)
1d6 (scout)+4d6 (unseen seer)+2d6 (dragon devotee)=7d6 Skirmish Damage

Blue Dragon Lineage allows you to switch out an 8th level slot for 8 seperate orbs that deal damage of 1d6+Cha modifier in lighting damage. These orbs are not volley attacks so each orb gets skirmish damage.

Boosting the damage even further.
Knowledge Devotion feat for an additional +5 damage per orb
Lady's Gambit feat (requires power attack and iron will) sacrifice up to your character level of hit points. Gain bonus to attack and damage of hit points sacrificed/2.

8*(1d6+Cha+7d6+5+10)=8*(Cha+15+8d6)
=184+8*Cha (minimum damage)
=344+8*Cha (average damage)
=504+8*Cha (maximum damage)

------------------------------------

Plus you are still a high level arcane spellcaster so you can still do things such as polymorph, breath weapon spells (Enervating Breath is so much better than Energy Drain), save or dies, etc.

Need more dragon flavor but don't want to take crappy dragon disciple grab a scroll of polymorph any object and make your sorcerer into something dragonish but humanoid such as dragonkin or maybe one of the dragonspawn templates.

Ruethgar
2016-03-21, 08:59 PM
One important thing to remember is that gliding is a free action. So if you fly 30ft, you can still glide another 30ft. I personally would suggest a sorcerer over a fighter any day. However the style of sorcerer is entirely up to you and the projected tier/makeup of the group.