PDA

View Full Version : Your knowledge cleric/GOO warlock pact patron/god ideas

Seekergeek
2016-03-21, 09:23 PM
So I love the idea of this combo, however I struggle with the god/patron aspect. What I like is the idea of a character dedicated to the accumulation of knowledge and experience for the sake of knowledge and experience. I'm fairly certain my DM will allow me to have the same being be my god and my patron (or failing that a powerful servant of my God to be my patron), but I am coming up short on someone/something to fill the role(s). Has anyone else played this combo and if so, who did you use?

This is the best I've managed to come up with, which I admit doesn't QUITE hit the target. Even so, my biggest worry is whether or not an archon could fill the GOO role.

The Aasimar called Solomon formed a pact with the Archon called Erathaor the Seer, an ancient and benevolent being dedicated to the pursuit and collection of knowledge, the uncovering of secrets, and one of the archons of the Hebdomad.

The archons of the Hebdomad do not desire to be worshiped themselves; instead, they guide mortals toward the worship of the deities they themselves serve. They do not tolerate cults in their names, and have no ability to grant spells. However, each is a patron of organizations and specific individuals who carry their ideals in the mortal realms.

In this capacity, Erathaor guided Solomon to the altar of Oghma, the god of all knowledge and the Aasimar has become one of the most devout followers and most ravenous seekers of knowledge and ideas in his service.

MrSeriousName
2016-03-22, 12:52 AM
Your lore is sound, and it seems you have a well thought-out idea for your character; however, it might be worth looking at some of the GOO warlock's class features. Creating thralls and casting disturbing mind-affecting spells doesn't seem very "archon-y" to me, but that's just my personal opinion. A GOO kinda needs to be beyond the alignment grid, like a vestige from the 3.5 Tome of Magic.

My personal call might be to pan Erathaol (even though he's really flappin' cool) and replace him with a homebrew guy (or gal or THING). I have something you might be interested in? Feel free to change or reject as you see fit.

Vapula, the Door to Dreams—the thought that Vapula might exist terrifies even the most erudite of scholars, but those who have seen her know she isn’t all that bad. You’ll probably go a little bit crazy under her influence, but it’s a small price to pay for being able to access the depths of knowledge available in other universes. Vapula is a large creature that superficially resembles a mushroom with phosphorescent neon strands hanging down from her, forming a shimmering curtain. Being in her presence (even in dreams) is often calming, and she speaks in peoples’ minds with a soft, welcoming feminine voice. Some say she’s the creature that gives people their dreams. Those warlocks in her employ often look to accumulate as much knowledge and experience as they can about anything, believing that all wisdom will eventually lead to the ultimate goal of existence: to glimpse behind Vapula’s veil, for behind it lie all realities, all cosmologies, all things worth knowing. Vapula only parts the veil for the most worthy.

AmbientRaven
2016-03-22, 03:44 AM
How about the Solar whom serves a God of knowledge?

Your character could be a mortal servant whom the Solar commands, on behalf of his god.

Solars are the most powerful of the Angels, and there is one per god if memory serves. The solar could grant an aspect of it's power to it's primary servant (you) in adition to the gods given powers (the cleric side)

Douche
2016-03-22, 07:19 AM
Have you ever played the Skyrim DLC? One of the Daedric Lords, Hermaeus Mora, is the focal point of it. He's a Lovecraftian sort of demon thing, but his realm is forbidden knowledge. Pretty standard GOO stuff, actually, but you might want to look to that for inspiration.

Joe the Rat
2016-03-22, 08:17 AM
Once you get away from the seafood buffet interpretation of the GOO, it really opens up some doors. You are talking about the idea of things so alien that they don't fit the normal definitions of reality... and reality is pretty loose in D&D fantasy land.

Let's look at some really different entities. What if your patron was information? An a-dimensional, self aware concept or collection of knowledge, which by learning gives you access to the power of the knowledge. Information with its own purposes. Like those Vancian spells of the Dying Earth, the living runes that wanted to be memorized and cast. Knowledge that wants to be used, but may be selective about being spread. In non-game-speak, think of it like an artificial intelligence program, or a self-aware meme. Hexus the Living Corporation would be a similar idea, though that is a self-aware economic construct.

This information is a Divine Secret, only passed on by the God of Knowledge, or by one of its servitors if said information wishes to be shared. This could give you a conflict hook. You are entrusted with the power and secret of the Knowing, but the Knowing wishes to be shared freely. It encourages you to share bits of itself in exchange for greater powers. Surely a line here, a whisper there won't hurt anything, right?

MrStabby
2016-03-22, 08:51 AM
How about someone like Vecna? Your cleric levels are from after he became a god - the warlock levels from before?

Tanarii
2016-03-22, 09:11 AM
knowledge Cleric / GOO Warlock is an easy one to justify. Almost everything that is suitable as a GOO Patron has God-like power, and represents forbidden knowledge.

It goes together hand and glove. Like Nature or Trickster Cleric/Feylock.

Seekergeek
2016-03-22, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback, all. I think you're right, Mr.SeriousName, the backstory needs some work in order to fit the abilities of the GOO patron. I really like the idea Joe put out there for knowledge itself to be the patron and that got me thinking about Deneir, and how he's just a part of the weave now but was once a servant of Oghma. Seems to me he would be a perfect vestige for that kind of concept - particularly because of his demeanour when he was a god.

So, lets go with that: his patron is Denier all disembodied in the weave, maybe having gone a little wacky as a result. Question becomes, did he worship Oghma before striking his pact with Denier or after? I like the idea of him being a cleric for the church of Oghma when he stumbled across a little snippet of the metatext which opened his mind up to Denier's presence in the weave. This eventually brought him to Denier's attention, and Denier offered him arcane power, much as he gave to Cadderly Bonaduce, in exchange for Solomon's promise to reconstruct the metatext which Denier believes is reflected in the Prime Plane through snippets of every written work ever committed to paper.