PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the name of a monk feat

Tobrian
2007-06-20, 12:59 PM
Hello folks,

one of my players is looking for a monk feat (non-core), and he and I are pretty sure we've seen it before, but can't remember anymore where it was and what it was called, otherwise I could go looking through WotC's lists to find it. :smallfrown:

Anyway, the feat allows a character to direct a punch at an enemy who is standing out of reach. The monk punches the air, and the punch is transfered across the empty space in a straight line to hit the enemy.

I know how I would pull off that effect in Mage: the Ascension RPG, but not sure about D&D.

And as an aside, is there any way (preferably non-epic) to allows a monk to take giant leaps like you see in Hongkong KungFu movies? All the stuff I'Ve seen so far only adds +5 to jumping skills and similar, very boring.

Swooper
2007-06-20, 01:05 PM
Could it be from the Legend of the Five Rings supplement? It's been a while since I've played in Rokugan, but I'm sure there was something like that, called Void Punch or something.

Dihan
2007-06-20, 01:15 PM
For the giant leaps thing, I believe there's a skill trick in Complete Scoundrel that does something like that.

Ali
2007-06-20, 01:18 PM
I have seen a spell that lets a monk do that (I think it is in the Spell Compendium), however, I have never seen a feat like that though.

RTGoodman
2007-06-20, 01:26 PM
I can't remember a feat exactly as you describe it, but in PHBII there's a feat called Lunging Strike that lets you gain reach with a single attack as a full round action.

As far as jumping, that's sort of an easy skill to get insanely good at as a monk. You already get a huge bonus to jump checks because of your speed increases as a monk. Also, your strength won't be abysmal if you're doing any sort of damage as a monk. After that, throw in a feat called Leap of the Heavens (also from PHBII, I think), which lets you make standing jumps as if you were running.

For instance, a 20th-level monk with maxed out Jump, a speed of 90 feet, and a decent strength (say 20, with items and such) = +53 or so to jump checks. With LotH feat, you can do that from standing. That's a possibility of jumping 73 feet without running first, or jumping like 18 feet straight up (as long as you roll a natural 20). So that's some Hong Kong super jumping right there.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-20, 01:50 PM
Blood Wind from Spell Compendium.

Penguinsushi
2007-06-20, 02:22 PM
Anyway, the feat allows a character to direct a punch at an enemy who is standing out of reach. The monk punches the air, and the punch is transfered across the empty space in a straight line to hit the enemy.

I think do recognize that, but I don't remember where it's from.

Also, I'm thinking it's a PrC class feature or something, as opposed to a feat...

*still looking*

~PS

Ramza00
2007-06-20, 02:31 PM
Blood Wind is a great spell and allows you to do that.

Ring the Gold Bell is a similar ability in a feat in Dragon 319

Ki Blast is a monk feat where you use 2 stunning fist attempts to make an orb of force to throw at someone.

Finally there may be a similar feat or something in Sandstorm. I remember there were monk feats such as Pharoaph something in that book.

Fixer
2007-06-20, 03:03 PM
In second edition, Oriental Adventures, there was a martial arts technique that allowed you do perform an unarmed attack over a short distance.

I do not recall any such ability in 3.0 or 3.5, though.

Penguinsushi
2007-06-20, 03:07 PM
Finally there may be a similar feat or something in Sandstorm. I remember there were monk feats such as Pharoaph something in that book.

yeah, I looked in there. Pharaoh's fist lets you stun enemies near your target, but I couldn't find anything else along this line...

~PS

Amphimir Míriel
2007-06-20, 03:25 PM
Ki Blast is a monk feat where you use 2 stunning fist attempts to make an orb of force to throw at someone.

Hado-ken!!!! FTW!

Dizlag
2007-06-20, 03:56 PM
Ramza00 is correct ... it's Ki Blast (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Ki_Blast,PH2) and it requires Fiery Fist (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fiery_Fist,PH2). These feats are in the PHB II.

Dizlag

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-20, 08:29 PM
Sandstorm also has Serpent's Fang, which lets you sac a SF to hit 5 feet away with unarmed damage. You can only use it once a round though(barring Rapid Stunning).

Penguinsushi
2007-06-20, 08:32 PM
Sandstorm also has Serpent's Fang, which lets you sac a SF to hit 5 feet away with unarmed damage. You can only use it once a round though(barring Rapid Stunning).

Whoa. Missed that one somehow. Maybe that was what I was thinking of...

~PS

Roland St. Jude
2007-06-20, 08:35 PM
Looks like they found your punching feat. As for the Hon Kong style running and jumping. Maxing out Jump is definitely workable. Leap of the Heavens is a brilliant feat (too good some say) as is Leap Attack (though perhaps not for a monk). And for a wall running trick, there's a feat in Expanded Psionic Handbook called Up the Walls that lets you run on walls as long as you end with a horizontal surface under you. And there's a web-only feat out there somewhere called Run On Air that lets you...well...run on air. It's also a psionic feat IIRC.

Insert Name Here
2007-06-21, 08:32 AM
Lunging strike in the PHBII. As a full-round action, the user of the feat can extend his reach by one square and make a single attack (armed, unarmed, or touch.) It's on page 80

Person_Man
2007-06-21, 09:58 AM
Ways to permanently increase reach

Willing Deformity + Deformity (tall): +5 feet
Aberration Blood + Inhuman Reach: +5 feet
Extended Reach (req tentacle like limbs, provided by Inhuman Reach): +5 feet
Enlarge Person: +5 feet
Expansion: +5 or +10 feet, doesn't stack with Enlarge Person
3 levels of Warshaper: +5 feet, only with natural weapons
Any reach weapon: *2

There are also various spells and magic items that can increase your reach further. Increasing reach is preferable to using a ranged weapon, because figures in D&D combat tend to clump together, and you threaten everything within your reach, provoking AoO.

As someone else mentioned, there's a spell in the Spell Compendium that lets you do what you want. An Enlightened Fist or Sacred Fist should be able to pull it off quite easily.

FYI, the main sources of consistent non-spell non-Tome of Battle damage in D&D are the Power Attack and Combat Reflexes feat combos. Monks lack full BAB, and their Flurry doesn't work with reach weapons, and nothing in their special abilities gives them an offensive combo. Thus, they're at a huge disadvantage compared to virtually every other class, assuming that class is built well.