PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [PEACH] Lolth as a 4th level Vestige.

Crake
2016-03-22, 04:26 AM
In my setting the gods are all dead, but some have managed to survive as vestiges. Lolth is one such god.

I'm mostly looking for criticism on the mechanics, making sure that it's at an appropriate power level for the vestige level (4th).

Lolth, Binding DC 25
Abilities:
Bite of the Spider Queen: You gain a primary bite attack, dealing 1d4 plus 1-1/2 times your strength modifier in damage. The bite also delivers a paralytic spider venom like that of a monstrous spider. This poison deals 1d4 strength damage as both it's primary and secondary effect. Unlike normal poisons, the DC of this poison is equal to your binder ability DC (10+1/2 binder level+cha modifer). You can only use this bite while showing Lolth's sign.
Clarity in Darkness: You gain the ability to see through magical darkness with your drow darkvision ability. Furthermore, your drow darkness ability confers you the ability to see everything within it's radius as if affected by a true seeing spell. This ability has no effect for non-drow.
Many eyes of Lolth: You gain a +8 bonus to spot checks. This benefit only applies while you show Lolth's sign.
Step of the Spider Queen: You are under a constant spider climb effect. Additionally your movement cannot be impaired by any webs, mundane or magical, and you may climb freely through them in all directions.
Summon Spider Swarm: You gain the ability to use summon swarm at will to summon a swarm of spiders. You cannot use this ability while another swarm summoned with this ability exists, and for 5 rounds after it has gone.
Vermin Queen: You gain the spider comapnion feat (Drow of the Underdark, p52) and a fiendish spider companion, with a druid level equal to that of your binder level. You may either designate an existing monstrous spider as your companion, or may have Lolth send you one, climbing out to the material plane from the demonweb pits through Lolth's seal after you finish making your pact with Lolth. Additionally, vermin will never attack you unless you attack them first. Vermin affected by templates that change their type (such as the fiendish template that changes their type to magical beast) are not subject to this ability, though they will always have an initial attitude of friendly toward you.
Webs: You gain a web attack like that of a monstrous spider, using your binder ability DC as the escape artist DC, and with a +4 bonus to the DC for the strength check DC to break free. The web has hit points equal to half your binder level plus your charisma modifer. These webs are toxic to all but yourself and spiders. Any round in which a creature is entangled by these webs they must make a save as if affected by your Bite of the Spider Queen poison. You must wait 5 rounds after you use this ability to use it again, and cannot use it more than 8 times per pact made with Lolth.

Sign:
4 beady spider eyes grow on your forhead, along with 2 at your temples. Your incisors grow into long fangs.

Influence:
You detest sunlight, avoiding being outdoors during the day whenever possible. Furthermore, you gain an insatiable hatred for non-drow, but especially surface elves. You must do your utmost to subvert and bring ruin to any surface elf you meet. You must also never bring lethal harm to vermin, either directly or indirectly.

Special Requirements:
You must be a drow to summon Lolth. Any non-drow who attempt to summon Lolth with the Ignore Special Requirements feat take a -10 penalty on their binding check and must make a DC25 will save or be turned into a spider as if by the baleful polymorph spell. If they pass their save, or are otherwise immune to, or able to recover quickly from polymorph effects by means such as having Haagenti bound or having the shapechanger subtype, they may attempt to bind Lolth. If non-drow ignore her influence after making a bad pact, Lolth will not answer their call for 1 day per penalty they had accumulated by the time Lolth was unbound.

faustin
2016-03-22, 08:33 AM
Not bad. But Lolth was not merely a Spider, but an evil Goddess which delighted in making webs out of individual fates ' threads. The vestige should have abilities which reflects that.

Inevitability
2016-03-22, 02:46 PM
I dislike the special requirement. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with restricting access to one race (especially in this case), but permanently polymorphing something in a spider? Isn't that a bit harsh?

I mean, the entire fluff for vestiges tells us that without mortal hosts they're pretty much helpless, so why should this one be throwing 5th-level spells around?

Crake
2016-03-22, 08:40 PM
Not bad. But Lolth was not merely a Spider, but an evil Goddess which delighted in making webs out of individual fates ' threads. The vestige should have abilities which reflects that.

Yeah, but I'm honestly not sure how to reflect that in an ability. She didn't achieve that through magical means after all, she was simply a master manipulator, so some kind of fate altering ability (like forcing re-rolls or the like) wouldn't really fit that kind of fluff. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

I dislike the special requirement. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with restricting access to one race (especially in this case), but permanently polymorphing something in a spider? Isn't that a bit harsh?

I mean, the entire fluff for vestiges tells us that without mortal hosts they're pretty much helpless, so why should this one be throwing 5th-level spells around?

It has to do with my campaign setting specifically, where the drow are actively working toward bringing Lolth back from being a vestige, giving her some level of control over the mortal realm, and due to her avid hate of non-drow, she will actively use what little power she has left to spite those who dare summon her.

If using this for a different setting or where the drow not in the middle of that process, I think it would be perfectly fine to remove the whole baleful polymorph bit. But of course, it can always be overcome by having bound haagenti earlier, so in a sense all it does is force you to bind those two together at the same time.