PDA

View Full Version : I think it would be most useful to add Str modifier to a torch's fire damage.

Zalabim
2016-03-22, 07:30 AM
When you make a melee attack with a burning torch and hit, it does 1 fire damage. It may also deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage, as improvised weapons often do, but that's not clear. Either way, I see no reason it wouldn't also add the appropriate ability modifier. As the title goes, it would be most useful if that were added as fire damage.

Here's your weapon that deals something other than non-magical blunt/pierce/slash damage. Its damage die is 1. It doesn't have a bonus to hit. You might not even be proficient with it. It doesn't help much with demons and devils, but it may make a mob of peasants with pitchforks and torches a little bit more threatening.

Prompted by Rakshasas and Jackalweres. Maybe I just want to burn something.

thebiglost1
2016-03-22, 07:39 AM
Most torches are made to be flammable not durable. If one was swinging with enough force to hit someone, it would probably shatter into oblivion, hence the single point of damage solely from the burn.

Joe the Rat
2016-03-22, 08:31 AM
If you go that route, I'd be more inclined to have it do strength mod bludgeoning damage, plus 1 point of fire damage. Hitting it harder doesn't make it burn more, unless you are claiming the pitch/resin/oil is being transferred to the target.

You could also make/get club-weight torches, which you can use as a wooden bludgeon and a light source (that does a little fire damage).

Douche
2016-03-22, 08:55 AM
Most torches are made to be flammable not durable. If one was swinging with enough force to hit someone, it would probably shatter into oblivion, hence the single point of damage solely from the burn.

Yeah, I agree with this. If you hit someone with a torch using the same force you'd use with a warhammer, the torch would at least crack in half - if not splinter into tiny pieces.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-22, 09:57 AM
I always thought that strength modifier already applied, and the whole thing was fire damage.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-22, 10:49 AM
I always thought that strength modifier already applied, and the whole thing was fire damage.

That was what I thought as well - I recall discussing it on this forum before.

I figure higher strength represents an improved ability to overcome attempted blocks and get a cleaner hit or better contact (which would make the burn more severe).

N810
2016-03-22, 10:56 AM
What if it was one of those wrought iron medieval torch (holder?) things.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-22, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I'd be fine with a torch dealing d4+Str/Dex fire damage. It makes it an interesting option rather than crap.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-22, 11:16 AM

Or one of those on a chain like a censer - or a flail... :smallamused:

N810
2016-03-22, 11:20 AM
I was thinking of the wall mounted variety.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-22, 11:24 AM
I was thinking of the wall mounted variety.

I know; I was expanding on that thought, because we've had this conversation before. That was when I added 'fire meteor' to my exotic weapons list (https://www.dropbox.com/s/oviky2csy29qx75/Exotic%20Weapons.pdf?dl=0).

A metal torch is definitely good for a d4 improvised weapon. They'd be heavier and more expensive than the d1 wooden torches, though.

thebiglost1
2016-03-22, 01:48 PM

If we are talking yanking a sconce off the wall then it would definitely be classified as an improvised weapon and handled accordingly, but I always think of a piece of wood with a little cloth dipped in resin of some sort for the torches used by the non dark vision folks, like you get 10 to the bundle from shops.