PDA

View Full Version : How do you calculate the CR of a monster with rapid spawn creation?

RoSothian
2016-03-22, 12:37 PM
I'm making an ooze creature that is basically a moving pile of mud. It's quite fast, 30 ft base speed unencumbered, and has the ability to turn its victims into more ooze. As it attacks, the target organic matter dissolves into more ooze. When a living creature dies under the attacks it dissolves under the immense amount of ooze already forming in its body, until it forms into a new ooze creature that functions as a separate creature. So basically a nanomites ooze.

So how would CR be calculated for a self-replicating monster? The ooze created from a victim is smaller than a normal ooze, is weaker, can't engulf, and needs to kill a few more creatures to get to full size. So an ooze army is composed of both big oozes (including the original one) and little oozes. They all function under one collective hivemind.

PraxisVetli
2016-03-22, 01:08 PM
Lots of creatures create spawn. Usually they do so through gradual ability damage, meaning (ideally) the players can kill it before having to deal with the replicants.
In that aspect, you would calc the CR based off the damage. Then you don't have to worry about the replication, since it's more of a byproduct of an attack.

atemu1234
2016-03-23, 06:04 AM
Lots of creatures create spawn. Usually they do so through gradual ability damage, meaning (ideally) the players can kill it before having to deal with the replicants.
In that aspect, you would calc the CR based off the damage. Then you don't have to worry about the replication, since it's more of a byproduct of an attack.

This is usually best. Things like Hypermitotic are dangerous templates, because judging CR with it is difficult.

PraxisVetli
2016-03-23, 03:32 PM
This is usually best. Things like Hypermitotic are dangerous templates, because judging CR with it is difficult.

What is hypermitotic?
Where do I find this?

atemu1234
2016-03-23, 05:15 PM
What is hypermitotic?
Where do I find this?

Third party template. Advanced Bestiary IIRC.