PDA

View Full Version : Running a Campaign after 20th level: Yay or Nay?

DaKiwiMonsta
2016-03-22, 01:23 PM
I know it's incredibly unlikely that any campaigns will reach the point where the players are at 20th level, but I can't help but wonder if other DM's would continue to play multiple adventures after the players have reached 20th level (aka their cap)?

Cybren
2016-03-22, 01:38 PM
I know it's incredibly unlikely that any campaigns will reach the point where the players are at 20th level, but I can't help but wonder if other DM's would continue to play multiple adventures after the players have reached 20th level (aka their cap)?

isn't this too variable to say?
If the campaign/characters have reached a natural ending point and people are itching to start a new campaign, i'd imagine people would end their campaign. If everyone is still invested in their characters and there's still a good amount of momentum, they won't. I don't think just being 20th level is grounds to end a campaign, and if your group has that amount of consistency to have reached 20th level from 1-3ish, you probably already have plans for your next game in place

Theodoxus
2016-03-22, 01:49 PM
I'm seriously considering fast tracking my current campaign... maybe a level a session. We've played 8 games in the 1-8 track. My game is currently at 5th level. Everyone is happy, but we've all been interested in higher level'd games.

If I didn't have 2 relatively new players, I'd just jump straight to 20 and carry on - but I think that would cheapen the fun for them.

MaxWilson
2016-03-22, 01:54 PM

I have rules in place for when that happens so that there isn't a level cap. May or may not ever happen but my players know that it's not a dead end.

Lawful Good
2016-03-22, 07:31 PM

The characters would have just gotten their capstone ability (rogues get Stroke of Luck, druids get the ablility to be a god, etc.) and probably want to use it. If the characters have gotten all the way to 20th level, they are very invested in their characters.

It depends on the group.

Safety Sword
2016-03-22, 08:14 PM
I think that the game is intended to be played though the levels, not at Level 20.

You take away a lot of the "struggle" if you just start at Level 20.

In fact, there is literally nothing to look forward to expect magic items... so, you're playing Diablo 3 now.

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 08:30 PM
I think that the game is intended to be played though the levels, not at Level 20.

You take away a lot of the "struggle" if you just start at Level 20.

In fact, there is literally nothing to look forward to expect magic items... so, you're playing Diablo 3 now.

Boons, land grants, and titles are all valid reasons. Basically, you start thinking of things at a macro scale. You don't fight in wars, you orchestrate them.

Safety Sword
2016-03-22, 08:52 PM
Boons, land grants, and titles are all valid reasons. Basically, you start thinking of things at a macro scale. You don't fight in wars, you orchestrate them.

That doesn't actually sound very exciting to me. That doesn't take anything away from anyone else however, play the game you like.

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 09:06 PM
That doesn't actually sound very exciting to me. That doesn't take anything away from anyone else however, play the game you like.

To each their own! Boons are pretty exciting, if you look at them in the DMG. I always liked the idea of going back and leveling up again as a party of monsters using True Polymorph :smallwink:

gameogre
2016-03-22, 09:30 PM
Sure, I would just make my own high level handbook. You thought 20 was hard? Wait till 30th!

Kane0
2016-03-22, 09:39 PM
Sure, why not?

You've gone to all the trouble of getting there, why not stay and enjoy it? You've got magic items, boons and maybe even more levels in another class to look forward to! Previous games have all had stuff happening after level 20. 3.x had epic levels (The NWN and NWN2 PC games went to levels 40 and 30 respectively after expansions), 4e expanded the level cap to 30, etc etc.

You have read such tales as The Big One, haven't you? A lot of Kaveman's best works go into epic levels and beyond. I quietly hope for the day Kaveman starts posting a 5e campaign journal.