PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Commoner Optimization

cecil1994
2016-03-22, 02:33 PM
Ok, I have a bet to win.

I have a habit of building really powerful characters- I killed a legitimate demigod last time, and now my DM has a challenge for me.

It's gonna be a normal game for everyone else- starting at level 7, average wealth, any Pathfinder material. But I'm playing a commoner. And I need to be on the level (if not better than) everyone else.

So guys- any thoughts? I had some vague idea about UMD optimization, or somehow getting a really strong animal companion- but I want the Commoner to do the work.

And no, 3.5 chicken-infested is not allowed.

ATHATH
2016-03-22, 02:49 PM
What about other 3.5 stuff?

I recommend using Wild Cohort and Leadership and checking out the Commoner Handbook.

ATHATH
2016-03-22, 02:51 PM
Ooh, an Optimized Sandblaster might also be cool, if your DM doesn't let you use companions.

Minor Creation-ing (gained via Hidden Talent) a bunch of poison or acid on your enemies' faces is a classic.

A template like Phrenic or Half-Fey might be cool, especially with LA buy-off.

LTwerewolf
2016-03-22, 02:54 PM
What sources are allowed? 3.5? Third party?

cecil1994
2016-03-22, 03:12 PM
It's just pathfinder, sadly.

I'm thinking VMC? Or maybe the animal companion idea.

Coidzor
2016-03-22, 03:17 PM
Ooh, an Optimized Sandblaster might also be cool, if your DM doesn't let you use companions.

Sandblaster?

ATHATH
2016-03-22, 03:34 PM
Sandblaster?
Search up "Sandblaster Optimization".

Ethereal Gears
2016-03-22, 07:20 PM
This is relevant to my interests, as I am also hoping to build as powerful as possible a PF commoner!

cecil1994
2016-03-22, 07:39 PM
This is relevant to my interests, as I am also hoping to build as powerful as possible a PF commoner!

commoner DUEL

I'll see u at dawn u nerd

avr
2016-03-22, 08:50 PM
Simplest would be to max UMD, buy lots of odd tricks and totally confuse the others as to what sort of spellcaster gets that eclectic mix on their spell list. There's a feat which allows you to pretend that a device you're using is your own casting IIRC.

ATHATH
2016-03-22, 09:10 PM
Pick up some scrolls of Valiant Steed, Call Dretch Horde, and Call Lemure Horde. Command your new army.

Florian
2016-03-23, 02:37 AM
So, pure Commoner, no PrC´ing out, no VMC, no replicating out of it any way?

With nothing more than 10 feats, I´d go whole-hog for the regular Archery feats, as they simply work, no matter on which class framework and supplement that with Master Craftsman, Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wondrous Items to get hold of Candles of Invocation and Luck Blades ASAP.
I´d probably base that on a Focus Study Human to have Skill Focus do the heavy lifting of replicating class features that enhance skills and go for Skill Focus (UMD, Spellcraft and Craft: Weaponsmithing).

There´re some easy-access PrC that could be build upon:
H-Elf Commoner with Noble Scion feat into Noble Scion PrC, then Prophet of Kalistrade, then Arcane Archer. Still uses Archery feats as main weapon, but now has some tricks up the sleeve.

Edit: Lol, ok, went and build that one and it actually works. Might be the worst build I ever did :D

Build: "Effing Disney Princes, go home and bother other people!"

Total Prereqs: Dex 17+, Cha 15+. LN. Bluff 2, Diplomacy 2, Knowledge (nobility) 5, Knowledge (local) 5, Profession (merchant) 5, Sense Motive 2. Feats: Noble Scion, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Longbow).

Race: Half Elf (Kyonin)
Traits: Dangerously Curious, Extremely Fashionable.
Class Progression (15): Commoner 1-5, Noble Scion (Kyonin) 1-4, Prophet of Kalistrade 1-2, Arcane Archer 1-4.
Feats (Alphabetical): Elven Accuracy, Exile´s Path, Multishot, Noble Scion (Scion of Lore, Kyonin), Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Seen and Unseen, Voice of the Sibyl.
Bonus Feats (Alphabetical): Leadership, Skill Focus (UMD), Weapon Focus (Longbow).

Cohort: Human (Ulfen) Fighter (Druman Blackjacked) 5/Ulfen Guard 1+
(This should be a no-frills affair: Guy with a Glaive and Chainmail, feats: Bodyguard, Combat Patrol, Combat Reflexes, In Harm´s Way, Iron Will, Mobility, Stand Still, later then Bear´s Balance and Raging Vitality - Mostly play as "passive mode")

All in all, that might actually work in an urban, social or intrigue-based game and brings well-rounded social skills to the table, some of them even scaling. Kind of a "Bard Light".

Drawbacks: You´re playing a Disney Princess. Sing, Smile, be happy, wear formal princess dresses, all that stuff. Play your raging bodyguard for some buddy-movie comic relief.

stack
2016-03-23, 12:50 PM
Feats can get you an animal companion and familiar in pf, multiple ways actually if you look at vmc and eldritch heritage.

Florian
2016-03-23, 12:55 PM
Feats can get you an animal companion and familiar in pf, multiple ways actually if you look at vmc and eldritch heritage.

You´re actually better of with Leadership in this regard. Three feats for an Animal Companion you can´t use half of the features? Pretty much not worth it, especially if you only have 10 feats in total.

ATHATH
2016-03-23, 06:48 PM
If you visit the Catalogues of Enlightenment, you can pick up the Deathbound domain to double your Animate Dead pool. Pick up some of the Animate Dead scrolls that I mentioned earlier, and be a half-decent necromancer on the side of whatever else you're doing.

stack
2016-03-23, 06:59 PM
If you visit the Catalogues of Enlightenment, you can pick up the Deathbound domain to double your Animate Dead pool. Pick up some of the Animate Dead scrolls that I mentioned earlier, and be a half-decent necromancer on the side of whatever else you're doing.

Pathfinder

Florian
2016-03-24, 02:28 AM

That doesn´t work out with Pathfinder as commanding undead is not bound to the domains anymore.
To make it work, you must either have the ability to Channel Negative Energy and invest in the Command Undead feat or have the actual ability to cast Animate Dead or Control Undead and invest in the Undead Master feat. Both can be done, but like the above mentioned way to gain an Animal Companion, both are too feat intensive for too little gain.

Edit: You´d need some feat that grants you access to divine magic with a scaling CL, like Nature Magic (or be a Dread Gnome), then a way to gain a Familiar, can be done via Companion Figurine, those would allow you to pick up Adept Channeling and from then on over to Command Undead.

ATHATH
2016-03-24, 10:41 AM
That doesn´t work out with Pathfinder as commanding undead is not bound to the domains anymore.
To make it work, you must either have the ability to Channel Negative Energy and invest in the Command Undead feat or have the actual ability to cast Animate Dead or Control Undead and invest in the Undead Master feat. Both can be done, but like the above mentioned way to gain an Animal Companion, both are too feat intensive for too little gain.

Edit: You´d need some feat that grants you access to divine magic with a scaling CL, like Nature Magic (or be a Dread Gnome), then a way to gain a Familiar, can be done via Companion Figurine, those would allow you to pick up Adept Channeling and from then on over to Command Undead.
PF Animate Dead doesn't put automatically them under your control?

Jormengand
2016-03-24, 10:44 AM

It does. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/animate-dead) 10chars

Florian
2016-03-24, 11:17 AM

It would. But this spell has two serious logistical flaws to it that show up here:
- Items include material cost. You must either know how many HD you will affect per casting or always pay for the maximum.
- It´s function is based on your caster level. Shame if you don´t have one. Now we could argue that the caster level of the item is what counts, but then the relevant feats would not function and there´d be no interaction or you could use multiple items for stacking, which would also be weird. So: Your CL.