PDA

View Full Version : your last 4 characters are a party. how do they fair?

Foxhound438
2016-03-22, 03:45 PM
I have a human war cleric with absolutely no compassion for other people's problems, a dragonborn OoA pally/fey lock who has no idea what he's doing ever, a human eldritch knight/theif (ranged) who's always trying to scam everyone, including the other party members on occasion, and an aarocockra sun monk who's secretly afraid of everything but hides that by going head first into melee.

How do you think they'd do? what do you have?

Edit: a lot of good stuff so far, a few that are a bit long to fully read lol. A few were listing off levels and magic equipment, i guess the spirit of what i was looking for is more starting out. Fine if you add where they would go later for multiclassing etc, but don't worry about having startups mixed with retirees, it would be fresh start for everyone.

Douche
2016-03-22, 03:55 PM
A life cleric, a crossbow-wielding rogue, a polearm barbarian, and a warlock.

Pretty damn standard fare, there. Healer, skill monkey, tank, spellcaster.

The cleric is lawful good, rogue and warlock were chaotic neutral. Barb just followed the orders of whoever was most powerful (lawful neutral?). Would have trouble getting the cleric to stick around, but otherwise it's a pretty good team composition, I think.

Renvir
2016-03-22, 03:58 PM
I could see a group taking that party into a dungeon and making it back out alive. The biggest threat to their survival might be themselves.

My last four were a Tempest Cleric who thinks he's a the offspring of a god, a war-weary Arcane Trickster who just wants to go home, a High Elf Elemental Monk/Evocation Wizard who was always a jerk to everyone (incidentally, he went full evil and is in the BBEG's inner circle now), and a TWF Champion/Lore Bard that has an answer to everything and refers to himself in the third person all the time.

Seeing as the Tempest Cleric is currently hunting my Monk/Wizard I can't imagine the party making it very far. I'm sure my Champ/Bard would have more to say on the subject.

PeteNutButter
2016-03-22, 04:04 PM
I have a human war cleric with absolutely no compassion for other people's problems, a dragonborn OoA pally/fey lock who has no idea what he's doing ever, a human eldritch knight/theif (ranged) who's always trying to scam everyone, including the other party members on occasion, and an aarocockra sun monk who's secretly afraid of everything but hides that by going head first into melee.

Your EK/thief scams your clueless palalock into doing everything for him, and plays with the monk's fear, manipulating him back-to-the-future style. "You won't punch that dragon in the face because you're nothing but a chicken bird." The cleric notices the manipulation but is apathetic about it.

I have a CG paladorc that smites anything that might be evil. A LN war cleric/necromancer warmonger. A friendly helpful and fearless halfling bard healer. And a CN barbarian that hates all spell casters.

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 04:10 PM
I have quite the motley party...

Two aarakocra brothers. One is a Swashbuckler who is incredibly kind, generous, loyal, murderous war veteran who loves poison a little too much; the other is a Shadow Sorcerer 1/Undying Light Warlock 1/(future Sun Soul) Monk who simultaneously disregards laws while viciously enforcing them, is incredibly persuasive, and never blinks. They argue and bicker but are worldly travelers who have fought in several different realms each.

A half-elf Bard who loves to tell and live stories. He is a persuasive womanizer whose favorite method of killing an enemy is forcing them to laugh to death via Tasha's Hideous Laughter.

A tiefling Storm Sorcerer, the unholy spawn of Talos and the Nine Hells, who enjoys repairing sails and ships, convincing others to do his work for him, and protecting the sacred waters of Eldath through liberal use of thunder and lightning.

Starting next week, the tiefling will be rotated out for a deep gnome Artificer who has crashed his Spelljammer onto my DM's homebrew world.

Sander
2016-03-22, 04:23 PM
Bit of a mixed bag, really...
A fey Sorc/Lock who figured he could probably get out of his contract with the summer queen by making another contract with the winter queen. Didn't exactly end well...
An elven archer who was so naive as to get scammed by average people. Damn, could he hit a target, tho.
A half-elf Sorc/Pala, possibly the biggest fanatic this side of the dark web. Smiting left and right, then complaining when Pelor wouldn't give him more smites a day.
And now a Tiefling Mystic/Fighter, consumed by madness and evil to the bone, who sees all people as playthings rather than actual "people"

Great, I'm pretty certain I won't get much further than 2nd level... Oh well, would likely make for a memorable campaign.

LordFluffy
2016-03-22, 04:26 PM
Not bad, though a little healer-heavy.

1. Human Fighter, level 4, archery fighting style, with a magic axe and gauntlets of ogre str; healer feat
2. Half-elf Paladin, level 6, Defense fighting style with a set of +1 hand axes that he dual wields
3. Half-orc Cleric, 3rd level, War Domain, level3
4. Human Warlock, 2nd Level, GOO, Pact of the Tome (eventually), magic Initiate feat (Bard for Vicious Mockery)

The warlock is very fragile, so they'd have to keep him alive, but if they could and the lower level characters caught up okay, I think they'd be pretty formidable.

DaKiwiMonsta
2016-03-22, 04:32 PM
Okay here goes:
Human Variant Druid/Monk/Fighter; a character which I built to see how much damage I could deal in one turn. Died attempting to one-hit kill a tarrasque. Good tank I suppose.
Half-Elf Bard; an improved version of my first character. Very good support class, proficiency in multiple skills and enchantment/illusion magic. Good All-Rounder.
Half-Elf Warlock; Very creepy character that I made (GOO archetype); killed himself attempting to barbecue a live Minotaur. Very good evocation magic. Great Mage.
Half-Elf (I bet you're noticing a pattern here?) Wild Magic Sorcerer. Was part of a campaign that unfortunately died off because the DM was unable to continue it. Good all-round Magic. Decent Mage.
In summary: Pretty good party, surprisingly so. Decent Tank and damage, lacking a healer though but one of them could replace a spell for healing.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-22, 04:35 PM
Let's have a look-see...

Forest gnome dark magical girl (homebrew class), CG. Shy, nerdy, wears stupidly oversized hats.
Human swashbuckler, CG. Brash, bold, charming. Used to be a bullfighter. Likes it when other people pay for his drinks.
Human eldritch knight, N. Taciturn survivalist, on the run from powerful enemies. Stealthy and good with a bow.
Half-elf diviner, LN. Wealthy noblewoman, prefers to love rather than fight. Not as streetwise as she thinks she is.

I think they'd just about manage to get on as a group; the gnome and the half-elf are both intellectuals, comfortable in urban environments, so they'd do well with intrigue and mystery quests, while the swashbuckler and the wizard would get on well, socially. The fighter will stick with them as long as they pay her don't attract too much attention, which ought to be possible if they're mostly hanging out in the seedy underbelly of a city.

On the negative side, they're... pretty flimsy. Con scores are 10, 14, 14 and 8, respectively. And there's no healing in there; they're all focussed on dealing damage or having social skills. Definitely a party for solving mysteries and running away from fights!

mgshamster
2016-03-22, 04:37 PM
Dragonborn Tempest Cleric, Hermit/Outlander
Human Tomelock (GOO), Sage
Gnome Beastmaster Ranger, Noble
Tiefling Devotion Paladin, Soldier

Yeah. I think they'd be just fine.

The cleric was the first character I made with 5e. Got to play him in a module. The warlock is my current character in a PBP homebrew game. The ranger is my planned character for Strahd. And the paladin is my planned character for PotA. Other than that, I've been the GM for my group, so I don't get to make or play too many PCs.

CaptAl
2016-03-22, 04:39 PM
A half-elven sage Cleric of Deneir/Lore Bard who is constantly writing everything down. A high elf hermit Bladesinger/Rogue with Dawnbringer who's convinced it's his job to cleanse the underdark. A gnome entertainer EK tank who loves beating up bullies. And a Human Cleric of Lathander (Life Domain) with Magic Initiate (Druid) for Good berry and Shillelagh, who's doing penance for crimes committed in his past (Haunted one background).

Little melee heavy, but these 4 could tear through a dungeon crawl.

GanonBoar
2016-03-22, 04:47 PM
An dex based elven fighter/wizard specializing in illusions, a stupid but wise Strength based Dragonborn battlemaster, A dex based human sailor fighter/warlock, and another illusion fighter/wizard but human and strength based. Despite the overload of gishes, I don't think they'd do that bad.

Belac93
2016-03-22, 04:58 PM
Well, for past 4 made, CE Aarakocra Barbarian, NG High elf Warlock of the Undying, LE Lizardfolk Rogue Torturer, and TN Gnome crossbow fighter. Roleplaying would be a problem, but pretty solid on combat.

Submortimer
2016-03-22, 05:07 PM
Well, let's see here...

- Warshaper half-orc fighter. Potentially tries to eat the party. Fails because they're all stronger than him.
- Human House of Knights Warmage. Has a Rod of Lordy Might. Hits things with fire.
- Assimar Vampire Warlock who has a pact with an angel that may or may not be a version of Superman. Day walker (takes no damage from sunlight), lord of a city, and general all-around bad ass.
- Human Battle master fighter who is a direct Zapf Brannigan expy. Armor is worn over layers of velour. Has a small, weak, yet inexplicably attractive to the fairer sex half-elf squire who regularly greases up his armor for him.

I've used lots of home brew in my games.

As an aside, they'd all probably work fine together: story wise, the Warmage worked for the Vampire Warlock, the Warshaper would respect something he couldn't consume, and Franc Brannigan would get browbeaten until he did what the rest of the team wanted.

Aran nu tasar
2016-03-22, 05:07 PM
An archer paladin, two sneaky-type snipers, and a superhero (statted out in 3.5 as a warlock) who shot beams of light at people. I appear to have a marked preference for ranged characters, which I didn't notice until now. So I guess they do extremely well right up until somebody gets in melee range, and then there are some problems.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-22, 05:26 PM
I have a Shoot-first-ask-the-corpse-questions Hand Crossbow-slinging Vengeance Paladin, a spell-less Bard Diplomat/Spy with a severe My Country Right or Wrong attitude, a cowardly gunslinging Arcane Trickster who may or may not be a dragon* and a NG high level Bladesinger Wizard I don't actually know much about, but who appears to be named after Victor Laszlo from Casablanca*

Stat-wise, low on healing, but otherwise fine apart from the fact that the first two are 6th level while the last two are apparently* 20th with Epic Boons. However, the fact that everyone on the list has Deception proficiency or Expertise, a penchant for lying and or manipulation, and a career adventurer's sense of paranoia might cause problems. It probably ends with a showdown between the last two with the first dead by the wayside, with outcome dependant on whether the AT makes the check to trigger his scroll of Antimagic Field.

*Uncertainty due to slight case of Transient Global Amnesia.

Theodoxus
2016-03-22, 05:50 PM
Not really fair... my last four characters were an anti-party I ran against my players.

All 10th level: 5 EK/5 AT with sharpshooter; 5 Life Cleric/5 Evoker Wizard; 5 Lore Bard/5 Fire Sorc with Elemental Affinity [fire]; 5 Bear Barbarian /5 Swashbuckler Rogue with Dual Wielder and paired warhammers.

They got the initial drop on the players with an alarm spell and a triggered Glyph of Warding which alerted them to the parties presence. Paired fireballs from wizard/sorc dropped 2 players outright and singed all but the paladin who bravely waited in another room. The players managed to talk their way out of it - saying there was a misunderstanding.

The anti-party healed up the party and then things went sideways when the Paladin detected a strong fey presence in the anti-party and questions were had. The party wisely waited until they had a tactical advantage (both numbers and terrain of their choosing). The battle was epic, lasting 15 rounds and probably 2 hours of game time. The party eeked out a win in the end and felt pretty good about it.

Had it not been 6 minds against my 1, it would have been a bit more lopsided... I'm not the greatest at mid-combat tactics; which is probably good for the players - lol.

Lawful Good
2016-03-22, 05:59 PM
Hmmm...

-A High Elf Arcane Trickster who believes in the "liberation" of shop's wares
-A Gnome Necromancer (reskinned as an Artificer) who is a chronic hoarder and kleptomaniac
-A Half-Orc Barbarian with dumped Intelligence
-A Tiefling Warlock with no common sense (or any sense at all)
The way I see it the Tiefling get robbed by the Gnome (and subsequently die in the stupidest way possible:smalltongue:) and the High Elf would con the Half-Orc into giving him his part of the treasure (I give you small yellow rocks and you give me bigger rocks? Yayyy!!!).

The humanity.

RaynorReynolds
2016-03-22, 06:02 PM
Pretty darn good. Tempest Cleric 2/Sorcerer 18, Barbarian (Totem) 20, Shadow Monk 6/Rogue 8/Warlock 3/Ranger 3, Warlock (Tome, Old One) 20. Maybe a little heavy on the casting. Barb and Cleric/Sorc would take the front line, Monk and Warlock doing their thing from the shadows.

Everyone is CG except the cleric who is CN. So they would get along socially as well.

pwykersotz
2016-03-22, 06:06 PM
They fair hard. First candy apples, then the Ferris wheel, then at least three exhibits with petting zoos.

My last four characters are a Champion Fighter (LMoP), and a OotA Paladin who saw one game. So...not well. Ah, being the forever GM. :smalltongue:

Jeebs
2016-03-22, 06:07 PM
Changeling Hunter, Half-Elf Draconic Sorcerer, Half-Elf Eldritch Knight, and a Half-Orc Vengeance Paladin.

I always build my characters after the rest of the party, and I try to make sure every mental stat is covered. I like a balanced party, and I guess I just stumbled into my own.

DracoKnight
2016-03-22, 06:12 PM
Fafnír Eridor Frostwing: Dragonborn Vengeance Paladin cursed with immortality for failing to save his clan, and now he's out for the blood of the dragonborn warlord who murdered his clan.

Althor Stormforged: Nord Tempest Cleric (Skyrim Campaign) just a simple son of the Nords who grew up in Markarth and Riften. He's a staunch supporter of the Dawnguard after vampires raided Markarth. Currently he and his party are investigating an outbreak of Dwemer automatons that are attacking the Skyrim countryside, and razed Riverwood.

Roscoe St. Doran: Variant Human (Observant) Arcane Trickster/Conjuration Wizard, raised in an orphanage by a tiefling mage, he later learns that the patron of the orphanage murdered his parents who ruled a powerful crime syndicate.

Draco Mercer: Variant Human (Weapon Master) Draconic Sorcerer built for melee tanking. His mother was a fighter whose skill was beyond compare (level 20), and one evening a dragon attacked their tiny village looking for his mother. She went out to fight the dragon, and in the middle of the battle, she shifted into an Ancient Brass Dragon. After driving the evil wyrm from the village, she returned to her house to find her husband dead under the fallen rafters, and her baby crying. She raised him on her own, teaching him draconic magic to use in defense of himself and others.

So...two tanks, two fullcasters, a healer, and a rogue...I think the party's good. :smallbiggrin:

Requiemforlust
2016-03-22, 06:27 PM
Draco Mercer: Variant Human (Weapon Master) Draconic Sorcerer built for melee tanking. His mother was a fighter whose skill was beyond compare (level 20), and one evening a dragon attacked their tiny village looking for his mother. She went out to fight the dragon, and in the middle of the battle, she shifted into an Ancient Brass Dragon. After driving the evil wyrm from the village, she returned to her house to find her husband dead under the fallen rafters, and her baby crying. She raised him on her own, teaching him draconic magic to use in defense of himself and others.

How did you build a sorcerer for Melee...? D6 Hit Die seems a detriment to melee...let alone tanking...

Lawful Good
2016-03-22, 06:44 PM
How did you build a sorcerer for Melee...? D6 Hit Die seems a detriment to melee...let alone tanking...

It is a detriment, but it can still work. The Draconic bloodline for Sorcerer adds a lot of survivability, as well as the Favored Soul (which gets heavy armor).

Atalas
2016-03-22, 06:57 PM
Tiefling Lore Bard who would do anything to be part of a grand story (went insane after accumulating a vast amount of knowledge after kickstarting the apocalypse), a half-elven Lore Bard who was devoted to his country and ended up being part of a war to take out the evil mage who ruled it, a tiefling GOO Warlock who ended up taking part of the Nine Hells from a Balor and his entourage and is now a legacy character for powerful mage needs, and finally an aarakocra drunken master Monk (home brewed off the old 3.5 prestige).

Yeah, this party isn't surviving except for the Warlock.

DracoKnight
2016-03-22, 06:58 PM

Well, I rolled 14/17/18/10/16/17 and that helped a lot. Then I went Variant Human for the two +1s.

So my starting spread looked like this:

STR 14
DEX 18 (+1 from Weapon Master)
CON 19 (+1 racial)
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 18 (+1 racial)

I decided to go with a Sorcerer because I'd never actually played one beyond level 2. After picking sorcerer, I decided to play against type (whenever people in my group play a sorcerer they play a ranged Wild Magic Sorcerer), going for a Melee Draconic build. I went with a brass ancestry because fire is the most common damage type (and I don't like gold dragons).

At level 1 this gives me +1 HP per level (so I started with 11 HP) and AC = 13 + DEX for 17 AC.
At 3rd level I picked up Twinned and Quickened Metamagic and I would cast Blur and then Quicken green-flame blade.
My feat selection was as follows:
1st: Weapon Master; +1 DEX & rapiers, shortswords, glaive, shortbow
4th: Tough; +2 HP per level
8th: Durable; +1 CON
12th: Elemental Adept; Fire
16th: +2 DEX
19th: +2 CHA

My final stats looked like this:

HP 240
STR 14
DEX 20
CON 20
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 20

My Spells were as follows:
Cantrips: green-flame blade, light, shocking grasp, prestidigitation, mending, sword burst
1st: feather fall, shield, witchbolt
2nd: blur
3rd: blink, fireball, fly, haste
4th: greater invisibility
5th: dominate person
6th: chain lightning, true seeing
7th: fire storm
8th: dominate monster
9th: time stop

Kane0
2016-03-22, 07:00 PM
1: Winged Tiefling Monk (Sun Soul) 8 / Cleric (Light) 1
Good all rounder, highly mobile and tough to pin down with decent control and damage as well as some bless and healing for emergencies. Also is very difficult to get the drop on and is handy with a lockpick.

2: Variant Human Warlock (Fiend, Tome) 13
Built to blast and control, the amount of magic items and gold at his disposal makes him a stupid good backline DPS and support caster. Access to the vast majority of rituals available gives him substantial support and utility to back up his potent offensive spell loadout.

3: Warforged scout fighter (Battlemaster) 3
Built as a scout and archer prior to the actual Scout subclass. Homebrewed race plus good rolled stats means this guy is an excellent switch hitter while also being tough to drop and stealthy with access to thieves tools.

4: Variant Human Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
An absolute sadomasochist, this guy is a frontliner with heavy armor and the shield master feat. He is looking at going into Rune Scribe to supplement his casting and buff up his hammer attacks and makes good use of shield / absorb elements to make him very tough to deal with.

So plenty of grunt to bring to a fight (not counting for level and equipment gap) while also boasting significant utility plus a good face, but notably lacking in healing. Each individual has ways around the lack of a dedicated healer and benefit from being entirely short rest based, so if they play their hand well they should be pretty efficient.
RP wise, #1 is the only actually good character (Follower of Lathander) with #3 being Futurama's Neutral Planet variety of neutral and #2 and 4 possessing a rather mercenary nature. They won't outright clash, but there would probably be some interesting conversations.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-22, 07:12 PM
Hmm... last four... but I've only had three, so I'll have to tack on a future plan.

1) Lawful Good Stout Halfling Battlemaster Fighter. He lived to see retirement, and was very serious for a halfling. First real character, so he wasn't the best handled RP wise.

2) Neutral Good Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer. He died young. Personal fireball to the face. A bit quirky and nervous about his power.

3) Lawful Good Lightfoot Halfling Thief Rogue. My current character, a very curious, crime-hunting halfling who can't keep his mouth shut. Tends to wander off when he thinks he's found something interesting.

4) Lawful Good Stout Halfling War Cleric. I am planning on actually playing this character one of these days. I'm thinking he'll be a lot better refined personality of my first character.

At least I don't have any alignment issues. And all of them so far have had some subset of my psyche, so they'd get along all right.

...What? Don't look at me like that! Halflings are awesome. You're just in denial.

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 07:15 PM
Now that I think about it, the party I posted above would be awful together :smallbiggrin: The alignments of the four were Neutral Good (Rogue), Lawful Neutral (Monk), Neutral Evil (Sorcerer), and Chaotic Neutral (Bard). I suppose it is better than LG, CG, CE, LE, but not by that much.

charcoalninja
2016-03-22, 07:21 PM
Dragonborn Tempest Cleric / Vengeance Paladin (lightning damage on the Breath)
Human Tempest Cleric 1 / Warlock (Fiend) Tome Pact
Drow Fighter 1 / Warlock 3 / Bard 2 (heavy armour pew pew skill monkey)
And a Dwarf Tempest Cleric / Abjuration Wizard.

Aparantly I'm obsessed with Thunder and temp HP!

JumboWheat01
2016-03-22, 07:28 PM
Dragonborn Tempest Cleric / Vengeance Paladin (lightning damage on the Breath)
Human Tempest Cleric 1 / Warlock (Fiend) Tome Pact
Drow Fighter 1 / Warlock 3 / Bard 2 (heavy armour pew pew skill monkey)
And a Dwarf Tempest Cleric / Abjuration Wizard.

Aparantly I'm obsessed with Thunder and temp HP!

Remind me never to let you in a church with fancy glass windows.

cobaltstarfire
2016-03-22, 07:56 PM
Hmm..I'm not sure how well they would manage.

Tempest Cleric/Fighter White Dragonborn, she was tricked into becoming a Tempest cleric, turns out the evil cultists that tricked her and threatened her home were charlatans though, and she's a vehicle of destruction for a true god who isn't evil. She doesn't know why she has cleric powers, nor does she worship any god. But she uses her divine powers to hunt down and destroy fakers and charlatans who use religion to take advantage of others. She doesn't talk much and enjoys to crush things. She's XG (wildly weaving between Chaotic and Neutral depending on the situation) Also extremely protective of her clan, she's trying to learn about magic as divine magic is very rare. She is vaguely aware that a god is likely giving her the powers she has, but she's not interested in worshiping, just learning more.

Abjuration Wizard Human, (he never played past lv 1, but was going to be abjuration). Son of a merchant father and warrior mother, used his magic to help safeguard the shop. Fairly social though he's also rather self centered. Very bad at flirting. Leans TN/LN, could be pushed into evil territory if things go wrong enough

Totem Barbarian "Kiwi" Aarakocra, currently in a game that's still running, she's in the mortal world to taste all the delicious food. She can't stand to see evil deeds to be done and will step in to help even strangers. Talks kind of like Columbo, and is just as earnest. Usually enraged by rudeness. I suppose she'd best be described as CG, since she'll step in to help others and would likely break laws in order to do so. (not to mention she abandoned her post on the plane of air)

Paladin of the Ancients Copper Dragonborn, he didn't go long because he ended up being a poor fit for the group, and I'm not sure I can play a paladin properly. He's the above Tempest Clerics Son. He's fairly friendly, and likes to help others and attempt to turn evil towards the light. Mercy is important to him in all things, whether that is to swiftly end someones misery, to give others a chance to turn over a new leaf, or to snuff evil out as quickly and painlessly as possible if there is no chance of the evil changing its ways. He was NG.

I think they'd get along well enough, Momma dragonborn might be overbearing or too hard on her Paladin son, Wizard fellow will find this hilarious and probably tease the Paladin (though also likely bond with him over parents). The Aarakocra would love the wizard because the wizard can cook, though she might also try to stop wizard from being selfish or doing potentially bad things so the wizard might find the big bird really annoying and only just barely tolerable.

How long would they last? It's unknown and probably dependent on the DM style. They can't really deal with locked doors and traps other than brute force. The wizard would be fine at being a face and leveraging his merchanty background/ties if given the opportunity. The biggest problem would be healing, they'd be a little light on it, and they would fair badly in stealthy situations as well.

Requiemforlust
2016-03-22, 08:18 PM
Well, I rolled 14/17/18/10/16/17 and that helped a lot. Then I went Variant Human for the two +1s.

So my starting spread looked like this:

STR 14
DEX 18 (+1 from Weapon Master)
CON 19 (+1 racial)
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 18 (+1 racial)

I decided to go with a Sorcerer because I'd never actually played one beyond level 2. After picking sorcerer, I decided to play against type (whenever people in my group play a sorcerer they play a ranged Wild Magic Sorcerer), going for a Melee Draconic build. I went with a brass ancestry because fire is the most common damage type (and I don't like gold dragons).

At level 1 this gives me +1 HP per level (so I started with 11 HP) and AC = 13 + DEX for 17 AC.
At 3rd level I picked up Twinned and Quickened Metamagic and I would cast Blur and then Quicken green-flame blade.
My feat selection was as follows:
1st: Weapon Master; +1 DEX & rapiers, shortswords, glaive, shortbow
4th: Tough; +2 HP per level
8th: Durable; +1 CON
12th: Elemental Adept; Fire
16th: +2 DEX
19th: +2 CHA

My final stats looked like this:

HP 240
STR 14
DEX 20
CON 20
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 20

My Spells were as follows:
Cantrips: green-flame blade, light, shocking grasp, prestidigitation, mending, sword burst
1st: feather fall, shield, witchbolt
2nd: blur
3rd: blink, fireball, fly, haste
4th: greater invisibility
5th: dominate person
6th: chain lightning, true seeing
7th: fire storm
8th: dominate monster
9th: time stop

Okay, wow...that works a LOT better than I expected...you have the same average HP of a BARBARIAN at 20th level. Wow

Misterwhisper
2016-03-22, 08:42 PM

My last 4 characters:

NG Half Elf Bard: Lover of all things music and uplifting who tries not to hurt people directly but if he has too he casts Shillelagh on his guitar and clubs people unconscious.

LE leaning NE Half-Elf Rogue Swashbuckler: The only non-caster, and leader of a high standing family of Warlocks who follow the King in Yellow, Social centered murderer and problem solver. He was even more religiously devoted than the Paladin or Cleric in the group.

N Wood Elf Monk: He did not believe in wasting anything because he grew up in a very rustic hovel in the woods, so he ate what he killed, even if it was a humanoid race, he was an exceptional cook and started his own INN and Restaurant and wrote a cookbook called "How to Serve People" about how to properly cook each individual race.

Alignment is iffy Half-Elf Warlock: Sold his soul for social power, he adventures for one reason, to be a famous, beloved, hero of the people and then to lead them and have them love him for it. However he will lie, cheat, and kill to become the beloved hero. Think butt-kissing, glad handing, cowardly guy who just REALLY want to be popular, but is a little psycho at the lengths he will go to to get it.

The Rogue and Warlock would get along great, the Monk would not care about it and just go along with the plans, however the Bard would be an issue. The Warlock and Rogue would want to use him as a frontman and example for the public, but it is pretty hard to manipulate Bards. They would use and manipulate him until he sought on then the Warlock and Rogue would end up killing him.

DracoKnight
2016-03-22, 08:49 PM
Alignment is iffy Half-Elf Warlock: Sold his soul for social power, he adventures for one reason, to be a famous, beloved, hero of the people and then to lead them and have them love him for it. However he will lie, cheat, and kill to become the beloved hero. Think butt-kissing, glad handing, cowardly guy who just REALLY want to be popular, but is a little psycho at the lengths he will go to to get it.

This sounds: a) awesomely badass for RP and combat, and b) the perfect combination of Littlefinger, Vaerys, and Tyrion. :smallbiggrin:

Reaper34
2016-03-22, 08:53 PM
mt. dwarf fighter tank professional soldier LN

human rogue cat burgular CN

high elf bard con man CN

wood elf monk you have no dicipline type. LG

working on a winged feral tiefling wizard but haven't played him yet.

rogue and bard would work well together. the others not so much.

Telwar
2016-03-22, 09:12 PM
In reverse order:

1) LN Hill Dwarf battlemaster fighter, protection style, yay medium lasers!

2) N Trollkin (Iron Kingdoms) Ancients paladin, with greatsword, plate, and tartan

3) NG Mountain dwarf totem warrior barbarian, in loincloth, shield, and flail (reskinned as an Egyptian for our Aeneid game)

4) That starter pack CG halfling rogue-thief

So...very melee-heavy. On the other hand, good defenses all around and the battlemaster and barbarian can enable the paladin and rogue to rip things apart, and the paladin provides defenses against aoe spells, so it works to keep them in a clump.

TheRedTemplar
2016-03-22, 09:24 PM
(Note: All Characters are AL legal. These four are around Tiers 2 and 3, the first one verging on tier 4)

Red Dragonborn Pally (OoD)/Sorcerer (Storm). Lawful Good, Nobility Background. He always puts Good before Law, and will help out almost anyone in need. He's an incredibly friendly person and only desires to make the world a better place by helping out anyone in need, but he desires especially to bring Graz'zt to justice, as the Demon Lord destroyed his town from the inside out. While he rules as the King over the remaining citizens, he leaves to go on adventures to help neighboring kingdoms every now and then, hoping that one of them will lead him closer to the Dark Prince. In personality he's like a mix between General Armstrong and Gaston's LG twin. His main weakness would be his recklessness: he's smart enough to put a cunning plan together, but always rushes out to do it before stopping to realize why, exactly, his plan is a terrible idea. The fact that (through brute force, improvising, DM Fiat and Sheer Dumb Luck [mostly luck tbh]) not one of them has failed is not helping his problem, and he may one day wind up way in over his head.

Assimar Life Cleric. Chaotic Good, Outsider Background. She's lost her memory of life before the age of 16, but she's convinced she was an angel that was sent to protect the world in a mortal form. She's extremely energetic and playful, and often loses herself in society's entertainments. Nevertheless she hates to see the weak oppressed and the innocent condemned, and has made it her goal to find out why she lost her memories and who she really was.

Tiefling Long Death Monk/Warlock (Undying). True Neutral, Custom Background (using Pirate feature). This character was made for the new Curse of Strahd season, and almost immediately after creation was turned into an Undead with the ability to walk through walls. She was sacrificed by her party in death house and left to rot when they (and she) found out she was undead. Using her new power of incorporeal movement to escape, she's been trapped in the Demiplane of Dread for so long that her mind and sanity are almost totally gone, while she slowly gains more undead-like traits (since they come with her classes). She thinks she is a savior that will unite the world upon her escape, but she no longer understands what people think is morally acceptable and why. She is only listed as True Neutral because her ultimate goal is to bring total harmony to all forces, in reality her insanity is so far off the charts that no alignment really fits her (She saved a child and found out he was being abused by his father, so she disintegrated the man in front of him. She doesn't understand why the child was scared of her after that-she just saved him, after all. She's also killed an old lady in secret after the woman went insane from demonic madness and she couldn't think of a way to cure her-no one found out that she murdered her (she told the party and town that she'd been mauled by hellhounds). This gains more levels of irony because she'd spent the previous two hours trying to keep the party from murdering innocent bystanders for fun-killing randomly isn't right, unless it's the solution to her problems apparently).

Lastly, my Duergar Monk-Fighter-Rogue Luchador. Chaotic Neutral, Entertainer (Gladiator) background. A Wrestler at heart, this plucky little dwarf loves one thing and one thing only: a good ol' fashioned Lucha Libre. Taking up the name of 'The Rumbler' in the DWF (Dwarf Wrestling Federation) he's been named king of the ring five times before he left to make a life for himself as a traveling merchant selling Dwarven Moonshine. He hopes to one day meet a worthy opponent that can match his grappling skills. He's not to bright (all mental stats are 8), but he's extremely boisterous when he's not hamming it up. Unsurprisingly, his God of Worship is LOS TIBURON, SHARK OF THE LAND.

If you stuck these four together, I'd pity the DM who'd have to put up with all of them at once. Combat-wise, they'd decimate literally everything (the Dragonborn alone single-handedly took down 30 Animated Armor suits, the Tiefling has undead immunities and serious survival power combined with an at-will frighten, the Assimar can heal all of them but the Tiefling [thus is the cost of being undead, I'm afraid] while buffing and supporting them, and the Duergar has about a +12 to Athletic Checks stacked with natural advantage from his Enlarge power, as well as Boots of Striding and Springing, a Jump Spell, and Step of the Wind to pound someone's head into the dirt, making him good for party support/tanking. The Dragonborn also has a Shield Guardian and a Pet Basilisk.).

Role Play wise, I can easily imagine the Dragonborn and Assimar getting long quite well (they share the same god and basic outlook on life). Maybe they'd make a sweet battle couple? The Dragonborn and Duergar would also get along quite well: both men love to fight, and they'd respect each other's power quite a bit (The former has a Belt of Dwarvenkind as well, and he's personally saved the Deepking's life and sanity three times, so the Duergar would especially respect him). The Duergar and Assimar would be awkward at first, but they'd probably make nice and be friends if the wrestler manages to keep his hands to himself. On the subject of the Tiefling, the Dragonborn would despise her at first, but probably pity her once he found out why she's like the way she is, and might even try to cure her madness or get her to come to terms with reality. The Assimar and Tiefling would despise each other, and even if they somehow managed to become 'friends', it's likely be a love-hate relationship. The Tiefling and Duergar would get along just fine, though (mostly through joking with each other, though the plucky lil' dwarf would probably be at least slightly appalled by some of the things the Tiefling has done). The Dragonborn and Tiefling would probably fight for role of leadership (or agree on mutual leadership, or maybe a whole 'Knights of the Round Table scenario), the Duergar would likely have to be a peacekeeper in the group, and the Assimar would just tend to sit back and watch the fireworks (so long as no one get's hurt, anyways).

TL;DR, they'd work amazingly well together in combat, the Dragonborn and Assimar/Tiefling and Duergar would be besties, and the Duergar and/or Dragonborn would have to make the peace whenever a fight between the Tiefling and Assimar would break out. They'd get along well, but I see a few conflicts/story arcs before they become True Companions.

2016-03-22, 09:35 PM
Bolt: Warforged Scout Battlemaster/Assassin, handles ranged DPR and scouting.

Amber: Undead Death-Patron Bladelock; handles melee DPR and social skills.

Rainbow Dash: Wood Elf Elemental Monk (Person_Man's fix); secondary scout, melee support, highly mobile.

Zerron Marthaas: Tiefling Lore Bard, emulating Indiana Jones as a legitimate archaeologist/adventurer.

Hrm...low on healing, and lacking some pretty standard support magic...but there's enough variety of skills to cover non-combat...and enough combat capabilities to cover the fights. Throwing some kind of Cleric in there would help.

jas61292
2016-03-22, 10:26 PM
Interesting topic. Well, for me we would have:

Lawful Good Hill Dwarf War Cleric
Neutral Good Human Hunter Ranger
Neutral Good Half-Elf Lore Bard

And well... that's all I've played in 5e. If I fill this out by going back to my last character before my group switched over from 3.5, it would be a human spell-less Ranger with a level dip in Rogue and some animal companion boosting PrC, so if I was to convert him to 5e, I would probably end up with.

Neutral Good Human Beastmaster Ranger with a single level of Rogue

As for how the party would do... well... I have faith in them. Though I kinda fear for our melee ability. It might not seem so bad with two rangers, but both were archery focused. And if I'm porting the beastmaster faithfully, I'm not sure how much help his dog is going to be. Probably not an ideal companion. At least the Cleric used a Flametongue Greatsword and waded into melee. I guess on nice thing is that I wouldn't have to worry much about healing, with at least 3 of the 4 always having some healing spell prepared. The party would be severely lacking in any blasting though. At the very least, I would have fun with these guys.

Foxhound438
2016-03-22, 11:16 PM
They fair hard. First candy apples, then the Ferris wheel, then at least three exhibits with petting zoos.

My last four characters are a Champion Fighter (LMoP), and a OotA Paladin who saw one game. So...not well. Ah, being the forever GM. :smalltongue:

wrecked. Killed by one rat.

Naanomi
2016-03-23, 12:17 AM
Water Gensai Beastmaster with a crab buddy; nomadic outlander who prefers solitude and life under the sea to this messy 'land' business
8/16/16/12/20/8; magic initiate, medium armor master

Human Mastermind 'master of disguise' who likes worming his way into evil organizations as 'new mook recruit #72' and sabotaging
9/20/12/12/10/20; actor, lucky

Human multiclass mess (warlock/fighter/rogue/sorcerer) semi-reformed bandit whose answer to every problem is to blast it until it isn't a problem anymore
8/14/16/8/10/20; spell sniper, war caster

Half-elf cleric/bard lore-master, traveling to learn ancient secrets but a bit of a coward at heart
8/14/12/13/16/20; observant, keen mind
----
Well my front line is a bit weak, but I have skills covered and almost everyone socially capable... Should fare ok

DracoKnight
2016-03-23, 04:22 AM
Okay, wow...that works a LOT better than I expected...you have the same average HP of a BARBARIAN at 20th level. Wow

The HP of a Barbarian with 9th level spellcasting.

Arkhios
2016-03-23, 04:54 AM
Unfortunately I have only played three characters in 5th edition as a player so far, so I'll grab the first/fourth from our latest Pathfinder campaign (Wrath of the Righteous)

In order from oldest to latest

The pathfinder oddity translates best as a Variant Human Paladin with Tavern brawler feat (unarmed combatant due to his class archetypes). nothing special I can recall about his personality. Your regular goody-two-shoes, with fists. I suppose he would been great with Oath of Devotion.
Human Mage (yes, he was my D&D Next playtest character); born physically blind, but due to auspicious birth, he could see his surroundings through the Weave. Had a certain affinity for destructive magic.
Human Paladin (will be Oath of the Ancients); Storywise he's the fifth-generation descendant of the playtest Mage, which implies something very interesting for the party composition and interactions. :smallbiggrin:
Dwarf War Cleric; one-shot character for the classic: Battle of Emridy Meadows. Rowdy drunk. However else can you play a dwarf anyway? :smalltongue:

So, the party composition would be: Two paladins with different oaths, one cleric, and an evocation wizard (in current spectrum of classes).
Mechanically I'd say they might accomplish really well, though melee is going to be pretty cramped. Only conflicts I can think of would probably be related to the two oaths, but nothing too severe.
Three different Turn Fey/Fiend/Undead features, +plus one could even destroy undead to some extent. And a blaster wizard.

Defining roles:
"The Sacred Fist" would definitely aim for unarmed "two-weapon fighting" as best as he could, so that'd make him as the melee DPR.
The Mage, known as "The Stormbearer", would definitely be the ranged DPR.
The Oath of the Ancients Paladin, alias "Summer Knight", would be my group's dedicated tank, him being a sword & board type anyway.
The drunken "War Priest" would probably "have to" focus more on healing, though luckily for him both paladins can hold their own really well on that regard, so he could support the melee with his maul.

Hordes of Fey/Fiend/Undead, let them come, we ARE prepared!
Stealth missions? Ehh...well... Maybe not!

Inevitability
2016-03-23, 05:11 AM
Assuming characters I'm currently applying for a game with count:

-Human thief rogue with the healer feat.
-Half-orc war cleric.
-Half-elf warlock focusing on illusions and blasting.
-Human swashbuckler rogue.

So... a fair amount of healing, good damage, solid skill sets, and some utility casting on top of that. The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of a tank, though I guess the half-orc can do a decent job there.

Atomburster
2016-03-23, 08:56 AM
Sorcerer, Wizard and Bard. If I only count 5E. If I count others, then an Oracle (PF) s included.

And the latter two were built as buff/debuff-type casters. Now they've no one to realistically buff.

:O

At least they're all casters.

Oramac
2016-03-23, 09:18 AM
Some good stuff so far. My group would be a tad light on healing, but still pretty good I think.

1. Cade Stormchaser - Tempest Sorcerer (Cleric 2 / Storm Sorc X), who pretty much just wants to explore the world and have fun doing it.

2. Merric - Halfling Divination Wizard with the Lucky Feat. Rerolls all 1's, gets 2 Portent rolls, and 3 luck points to reroll everything else. Luckiest damn Wizard ever.

3. Tyr Stormborn - Tempest Cleric. He wears heavy armor and wades into melee with a Greatsword, killing everything with his blade or lightning.

4. Bronan the Barbellian. A caricature of Gym Bro culture who loves strength and hates magic. Variant human with the Tough Feat. To quote a guide here on GITP: "He blocks arrows with his chest, and has to make an Int check to see if he felt the arrow".

Halflinks
2016-03-23, 09:18 AM
A 5'4 Half-Orc Barbarian grappler, a Shardmind Illusionist Wizard, a Half-Elf Lore Bard, and a 4 Intelligence Half-Elf GOO Warlock.

Could go either way at this point.

JohanOfKitten
2016-03-23, 09:41 AM
A human old fiend lock who has wisdom as dump stat and makes a lot of bad decisions and deals with fiends, thinking they're pretty good deals.
An half-elf Tempest Cleric / Storm Sorcerer, short tempered, believing he's the offspring of an evil tempest god and try to be a good man.
A dwarf fighter battlemaster, acolyt of Helm, with the safety of other at first in his mind;
A dwarf war cleric thrilled by adventure and with a psychotic obsession of blacksmith art and wrought metal.

The team can be balanced, with the fighter in first line, the fiend lock doing most DPR and the both cleric as support (the half-elf in support + versatility of spell + DPR, the dwarf in support + tank).

But they will need to work with each other and it's not so easy with the fiend lock, who risk to be killed/emprisonned by the other three quickly if he acts in an evilish way (which he will, because he has no idea it's not a good idea to be respectful with the morale of the others)

OldTrees1
2016-03-23, 09:55 AM
In reverse order:
1) A Trapsmith/Locksmith out practicing his trade as a guide. Mostly uninterested in other manners except for how it pertains to guiding his current "clients" to where they wish to go.

2) An abberant winged giant of a man. Will spontaneously help others, but otherwise is motivated merely by self interest and is willing to use force/intimidation to get his way.

3) A Lich worshiping twin goddesses of life & death but a servant of the second. Devoted to the ideal of restoring and maintaining the population at the ~1000 years ago level. Frequently used simultaneous channeling of positive & negative energy for torturous interrogation.

4) Dvati protector cleric(s) modeled after the ideal of a Paladin. Devoted to right action and protecting their charges.

First I would question HOW they became a party. The winged giant and the protector cleric(s) probably joined up as a result of one of the spontaneous good deeds of the winged giant. The guide might have attached themselves to the group. Circumstances would probably be needed to get the Lich in the party (although not due to any antimonster bias as seen by the acceptance of the abberant winged giant). As a party they could handle what they encounter quite easily. However the first time information is needed out of a prisoner, the winged giant and the protector cleric(s) would start vigorously arguing. In the meantime the Lich would start their uncaring torture. Well a 3v1 fight would immediately break out since that kind of torture violates even the winged giant's censors. After the dust settles the party is down a member and up an enemy NPC. 10 years later the Lich would come back with a vengeance, new resources, and the entire army they had in reserve. The guide might survive by taking shelter in the Tome of Horrors but the other two are doomed.

Conclusion: 2 dead(corpses turned into skeletons but souls to afterlife), 1 hiding in the Tome of Horrors, the last as an NPC BBEG off to reduce the population to a 1/10(reverse decimation).

Edit: But going back 5 characters would change things.
5) Necromancer utopian kingdom builder.

Everything would happen same as before, but now there would be 2 armies clashing. The lich would probably die again (army + necromancer < army + necromancer + 3 PCs). The lich would go out adventuring 50 years later but would ignore the party.

GraakosGraakos
2016-03-23, 10:22 AM
An aarakocra shadow monk, a half elf storm sorcerer, a human champion fighter, and a drow rogue walk into a bar..

Boci
2016-03-23, 10:32 AM
A "short rest caster" female Half-Elven Fey Warlock 2 / Dragon Sorceror 4, using agonizing eldritch blast and hex or quicken spell to deal large amount of damage, with most resources returning after a short rest. She was a swindler and a scoundrel, capable of picking locks and using her persuasive abilites to peddle trash as magical/rare gear. Owed her life to a Cleric witch hunter named Dr. Hoffenzeit.
She has lost around 11 from her max HP after a spectre caressed her and she died after that, not sure if the effect would linger after her ressurection. She also had 2 magical items (lantern of revealing and medallion of thought).

A male Wood Elf / Hunter Ranger 5, who uses a bow and traded regular elf dark vision for drow's superior darkvision + light sensativity. Kidnapped by drow as a child he was saved by a harper agent and now works as a new member to the Guild. Likes collecting hunting trophies, hoping to add a dragon to his collection eventually. No notable gear.

A male High Elf / Assassin Rogue 4 who got the GM's permission to get SA on chill touch (his high elf cantrip) in return for never boosting int. A loner he was called abck to civilization after he started having dream of a great disaster he wishes to avert. Sees himself as a neutral dealer of death rather than a ruthless killer. No notable gear.

A male High Elf / Lore School Bard 3. A charlatan who liked all challanges when it came to decieving and manipulating others he was on a mission with his childhood friend, a human priests and a barbarian he befriended on his travels when they were all taken prisoner / bled out after a fight with the Cult of the Dragon. No notable gear.

So a bit squishy and a little light on healing (though the bard and ranger may just be able to handle that between them), but darkvision and trance for all and pretty solid damage dealing potential. Not sure if we adjust levels but I could see them working as a party.

Moreplovac
2016-03-23, 10:40 AM
Terribly well actually, I make party oriented characters usually.

From the newest to the last of the 4th.

Klukxorr (Kluk is a sound the chicken makes, because he was a chicken chaser when he was young) - Bard (Human) - Dungeon World - Neutral alingment. The typical funny guy that ideal is meant exactly to calm the party down and bring tensions to a minimum by playing his flute while acting like a clown. He has his "clever" side that he is a tactician and a party buffer.

Mattaniel Forest - Monk(Way of Open hand)/Cleric(Life) (8/4) (Half-Elf) - A Neutral Good Noble that cares for his family and party members (his best friends) and treats them like family as well. His flaw is that he never backs from a challenge, whatever it may be. Multiclassed into Cleric for RP reasons of brining life back to the world (Fighting the Undead), as well as Meta we needed a party buffer/healer.

Sihikiel - Paladin Vengeance - Aasimar - A Lawful Good character whose goal is to avenge his brother that was sacrificed in a ritual of the fiends. He has an eternal hatred to fiends and demons. With him being the only healer and party buffer in his party (in that world ofc) he is more of a mid-line fighter who keeps everyone up. Smite all evil and that ****.

Meerkat Doomvalor - Cleric War Domain - Human - Chaotic Neutral. In a world where Humans were slaves to Dragons and Giants, he is a Folk Hero who rose against the tyranical actions of a Human overseer of several villages (Imagine William Wallace). Was originally Chaotic Good, but he fell from that grace as he sacrificed his best friend to get close to a cult in which they worship Death or a Death God, something like that.

So in short, this party will survive, with su much heals and buffs. They may not agree on several points, but you can see my outline as a human being, family and friends first (even in sacrifices! :D ). And typical clown-like characters who are there for fun of the party.

Foxhound438
2016-03-23, 01:21 PM
4. Bronan the Barbellian. A caricature of Gym Bro culture who loves strength and hates magic. Variant human with the Tough Feat. To quote a guide here on GITP: "He blocks arrows with his chest, and has to make an Int check to see if he felt the arrow".

ah, hating magic in a party of him and 3 casters. Excellent.

Foxhound438
2016-03-23, 01:23 PM
Assuming characters I'm currently applying for a game with count:

-Human thief rogue with the healer feat.
-Half-orc war cleric.
-Half-elf warlock focusing on illusions and blasting.
-Human swashbuckler rogue.

So... a fair amount of healing, good damage, solid skill sets, and some utility casting on top of that. The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of a tank, though I guess the half-orc can do a decent job there.

clerics make fine tanks usually, since they (mostly) get heavy armor and healing for days.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-23, 01:55 PM
3 of these are 3.5.

A Warforged Warblade, whose goal is to triumph so mightily that it earns respect for his kind from humans.
A Dragonborn Gnome Dragonfire Adept, bringing the joy of the good news about dragons to everyone.
A human sorcerer with a Stormborn background (ported from Pathfinder) - a sommelier, and a girl desperate to escape the small town where she grew up.
A wood elf ranger with a dark and sinister background, who was once hung as a thief and a murderer and thus cannot speak above a hoarse whisper.

So I've got a disruptive in-your-face martial, some minor healing and area attacks from the DFA, blasty blasting from the sorceress, and pew-pew-pew (did I mention pew?) from the ranger.

Overall, I think I'm weak on healing and utility magic.

Joe the Rat
2016-03-23, 02:50 PM
From oldest to newest:

A Hill Dwarf "Sailor" Tempest Cleric of Umberlee, because I always wanted to be a Dwarven Pirate. Arr.

A Half-Elf Barbarian (Criminal), who played the role of the dashing sword (and board)sman. He was seeking those who wronged his family. Last seen in the neighborhood of Hillsfar.

A Human Fiend Bladelock/Two-Weapon Fighter (Guild Merchant). Actually the Barbarian's half-brother. Was seeking the same people on the Sword Coast, only to get taken into the Underdark. Due to Invocation selections and (player) musical tastes, he became known as The Harvester of Eyes.

Ah, being the forever GM. :smalltongue:I feel you there.

My last 5e "character" is a Hobgoblin Captain with a Longbow and some fancy sword skills. Technically he's an NPC, but he's the only henchman the party refuses to leave behind, and thus the only other character I play regularly. If I were to rebuild him as a PC, he'd be a Fighter (soldier), either Battlemaster or Banneret.

My last D&D PC was a Lizardfolk (Green) Dragon Shaman. Seven feet tall, surprisingly sneaky, cone of death breath.

My last PC is a two-gun Jawa that shoots first

This is a mixed-up, melee-focused party. The "squishy wizard" fights like a kill-stealing ranger, and Faces like a bard, the strong guy is the scouting and lockpicking man, the cleric is the master of Shock and Awe, and the last guy a monster murder machine wildcard. There's a lot of good cross support here.

Daishain
2016-03-23, 03:26 PM
I've only actually played three 5E characters (spent several campaigns on the DM end of the table). I'll just assume that my last 3.5E character could be imported somehow in a balanced fashion.

-Illusionist Wizard with a penchant for control spells
-EK fighter with a little immortal Mystic mixed in, focus is on self buffs for maximum effectiveness
-Ancients Paladin, polearm master focus
-from 3.5, a sorcerer/psion/cerebromancer who could pretty much mindf*** anything he encountered.

All of my characters tended to prepare for anything. lockpicks hidden in undergarments, way too much rope, etc. The paladin even carried much of a smithy around with him in his saddlebags just so he could make tools for the task at hand, and the cerebromancer owned a large container of shapesand (psionically active sand that could be willed into any shape) that would mostly make the smithy obsolete. The party is missing a skill monkey, but should do very well in both diplomacy and combat, and has enough magical and mundane tricks up their collective sleeves to bypass most of the reasons to have a skill monkey in the first place. A little light on healing ability though, better hope the paladin isn't the first to go down.

ravenkith
2016-03-23, 06:14 PM
Barbarian 1/Cleric of War 1/ Bladesinger X (RIDICULOUS rolled stats)
GWM/Smite Nova specced Paladin of Devotion 5/Dragon Sorceror X
Sword and Board Cleric of War
Sword and Board/Shield bashing Fighter 4/Rogue X

Arguably the paladin doesn't count, as I made him for someone else, in which case the Monk 2/Druid X comes into play instead (was just going to go monk, but the party ended up needing a healer bad, and my character was already a wood elf with a nature bent).

Haveatya
2016-03-23, 06:46 PM
Fiend Bladelock reskinned to have a lunar God as his
Patron with all teleportation spells on his list. A battle master with absolutely stunning stats (rolled) that is a relentless tactician and politician. An Eldritch Knight that is a super tank. A bladesinger Eladrin with mostly counter mage and control spells.

AmbientRaven
2016-03-23, 09:07 PM
halfling Ranger/Barbarian whom rides a veloceraptor who is reckless and has to prove himself vs the biggest guy on the battlefield
An arrogant noble bard/sorcerer
A Ancients paladin/Shadow Sorcorer who puts himself on the line for his friends
A Knowledge cleric/divination wizard of Mystra whom wants to learn about thew world.

I think they would fair well have 2 survivable characters, 2 good damage, 2 healers, buffs and debuff. RP wise....would be interesting. I think my barbarian would murder the sorcerer whilst the paladins trys to stop the fight and the cleric takes notes on the battle.

monkey3
2016-03-23, 11:50 PM
Warshaper fighter (wolverine)
Dread Necromancer (minions)
Malconvocer (more minions)
Wizard with Staff of the Magi (only one in 5e)

They would do great! Would probably never take any damage, except for the regenerating warshaper.

shaagaah
2016-03-24, 01:33 AM
My four last characters were

1. CE elemental monk that had no respect for other people
2. Insane necromancer that had no qualm about killing people to raise them up
3. A tiefling bard that enjoyed messing with people's mind and let them kill each other
4. Oathbreaker paladin

So yeah... they'd fare pretty well together.

I'm a ****ty player. wow.

Cette
2016-03-24, 04:11 AM
Lawful neutral monk/barbarian/rogue mafia fixer. Think "the Wolf" from Pulp Fiction.

Neutral good gnomish mercenary beast master ranger played as a tanky frog riding heavy cavalryman. Likes to help people whenever possible but isn't shy about being payed to do it. Also dumb as a bag of hammers.

Chaotic good half elf OOA paladin who dual wields whips made of living thorny vines. Rarely understands what's going on around him but feels a compulsion to act towards his oath. Based heavily on The MAXX.

Chaotic good halfling barbarian noble from a family of sorcerers. Sent off while the heat cools down after a member of a rival family challenged him to a magic duel and ended up with a hatchet thrown into his forehead. Likes schmoozing but likes smashing even more.

Little light on healing and no ranged capacity to speak of but they're beefy and can wreck house up close.

The fixer is going to get real sick of the Paladin and barbarians disorganized and attention attracting antics but they should overall get along okay as long as there's a clear goal.

Solusek
2016-03-24, 09:02 AM
CG reach weapon Fighter
NG Truenamer
CG sword and board Barbarian
TN stormborn Sorcerer

I think we would fare decently. A lack of roguish abilities and healing could be problems from time to time, but the combat potential, knowledge, and the social abilities are well covered with this mix of characters.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-24, 09:08 AM
CG reach weapon Fighter
NG Truenamer
CG sword and board Barbarian
TN stormborn Sorcerer

I think we would fare decently. A lack of roguish abilities and healing could be problems from time to time, but the combat potential, knowledge, and the social abilities are well covered with this mix of characters.

Well, Thieves' Tools are... well... a tool, which one can train for during downtime, and since there's no pick lock or disable device skill, all you need are Thieves' Tools.

Or just have the barbarian rip the puny lock off and the sorcerer summon something over the trap. Voila! You have now picked the lock and disabled the trap!

Aasimar
2016-03-24, 12:17 PM
Ok, I'm sticking to d&d and pathfinder characters only. (My radioactive superhero would interact...oddly with the others)

Særún Steingrímsdóttir - She's a norse Half-elf valor-bard viking. She's silly and rather dumb, but brave, a competent fighter and genuinely good and helpful.

Jessa Sunstone - A monstrously strong Tiefling Paladin of Devotion, devoted to Torm. She's a very competent fighter and keeps her morality under strict discipline, knowing that her base instincts are wholly evil.

Talia Moonmeadow - A young elven arcane trickster. She's super-intelligent, cocky, immature teen (for an elf) and somewhat self centered, but an ok team player.

Xarra Redtusk - A half orc rogue/barbarian. She had a keen sense of smell and swung a mean greataxe.

I think they'd be good, even if they lack some healing. An arcane trickster and a bard can cover arcane casting together, and a paladin means they've got at least SOME healing.

Slightly overstocked on rogues (Talia came in to replace Xarra after she died, so they had to fill the same niche)

Demonslayer666
2016-03-24, 03:26 PM
Paladin 17, Barbarian 10 (dead), Wizard 1, Warlock 5

Absolutely terrible.

The warlock would die to the paladin at first sight (detect evil). The paladin could easily afford a rez for the barbarian, but the barbarian would not come back - he is busy killing ogres in his afterlife. I don't see the wizard surviving anything thrown at the party.

The paladin was near indestructible since he was in Pathfinder. Lots of HPs, awesome saves, and Lay On Hands as a move action on self. Crazy good. He would be a one man party.

Thanks, this was fun. :)

RedMage125
2016-03-24, 05:05 PM
So I'd have a Dragonborn Valor Bard (5e), decent enough in a fight, good healer.

A Pathfinder Tiefling Wizard 5/Cypher Mage 3, with 3 Mythic Tiers.

A Pathfinder Dwarf Cleric 6 of Cayden Calean with 2 Mythic Tiers.

A 3.5e D&D level 18 Sun Elf Wizard 5/Incantatrix 10/Archmage 3.

I think I'm good.

Pikkle
2016-03-24, 05:34 PM
Dwarf Barb,
Human rogue
Dwarf Cleric
Human Hexblade (Bladelock I guess)

Missing some main caster strength but not doing bad overall.

OldTrees1
2016-03-24, 05:46 PM

Absolutely terrible.

Nice, another dysfunctional party! It really is interesting to look back and notice how your characters would "disagree" (to put it lightly).

oxybe
2016-03-24, 06:05 PM
So the last 4 characters i've played/is playing are:

D&D 5th - Draziw the Despondent, human L8 Transmuter wizard
Pathfinder - Marcellano, human L1 Court Bard (what? he's like 2 sessions old :smalltongue:)
Pathfinder - Nisha the Swarmmistress, tiefling L17 witch
Pathfinder - Carlos Santiago, half-orc L12 evoker & magical craftsman

Bonus party member 1 - Draziw's Shieldy the Shield Guardian
Bonus party member 2 - Baby, Nisha's pet centipede under a share spell'd Swarm Skin
Bonus party member 3 - Slave, Nisha's Dominated Great Cyclops
Bonus party member 4 - Gumby, Carlos's Clay Golem

Extra Special Guest Star Party Members - Those fiendish dinosaurs that Nisha kept summoning.

Nisha begins experimenting with various curses and substances using her resources. Carlos is hesitant at first but sees that she has appropriate safety precautions in place and joins in. magicalSCIENCE! ensues. A new era of dominated/mindslaved workers, taken from prisoners, arises and new public works gets done at a surprisingly fast pace. magical knickknacks begin spreading their way in town and raising the overall quality of life. Dissidents and terrorists initially find themselves wasp'd, triceratops'd or mindslave'd. Rumors of governement-funded, superpowered secret lycantrope hitsquads appear.

Slave and Gumby provide muscle-based security as they do their works.

Marcellano gets bored of wizards-staying-at-home stuff and goes off adventuring. Makes a name of himself for brash actions and annoying his enemies greatly.

Draziw is huddled in a corner in a neurotic, crying blob after seeing Nisha & Carlo's handiwork, while Shieldy just kinda stands there guarding him as Baby nests in him.

Ogre Mage
2016-03-24, 09:51 PM
Dwarf Cleric of Kossuth (light domain)
Wood Elf Moon Druid
Half-Elf Favored Soul (life domain)
Half-Elf Lore Bard/Fey Warlock

I think they would do pretty well. The moon druid would tank, the cleric of Kossuth (light domain) and favored soul (life domain) are both support casters with a good mix of buffing, healing and blasting. The bardlock provides stealth and is the group skill monkey.

Personality wise the main conflict would be that the "purify by fire" attitude of the cleric of Kossuth would not sit well with the moon druid in nature settings. She has a tendency to toss around burning hands, scorching ray and fireball rather zealously.

Drackolus
2016-03-24, 10:12 PM
A crown paladin/abjurur knight-captain golem with a soul and a passion for order (lawful good), a merfolk water genasi (inherited legs from her father) arcana cleric/ocean (coast) druid who wants to learn and discover all there is to the world (neutral good), a veteran favored soul/devotion paladin of Pelor who wants to show her lawful-good city that Pelor's teachings are inhibited by their over-orderly ways (neutral good), and a little kobold cleric of a god of life who just wants everyone to be happy and healthy (neutral good).

I think everyone would get along just dandy! And, with a caster-tank, caster-tank, utility divine caster, and full healer, they definitely won't be hurting for defensive power, if nothing else. Actually, I think I've only made one character who wouldn't get along with everyone else, which is my evil kobold sorcerer who is now motivated only by his hatred for the goblin demigod who destroyed his (and, as a red dragonwrought chief, I mean HIS) clan. Really though, he's starting to not be so bad. Not killing minions means you have more minions, after all.

EDIT: Actually, my chaotic good tiefling enchanter crook who hates rich people would probably come into conflict pretty quickly with the lawful good knight. Cops and robbers. Famously bad combo.

MrConsideration
2016-03-25, 11:41 AM
A Chaotic Good Fey Pact Warlock (debonair, vapid, excellent hair), a Lawful Neutral Infernal Pact Warlock (deluded into thinking he is using Ancestor Worship), a Chaotic Neutral Trickery Cleric (and pirate and roustabout and rogue) and a Chaotic Evil Moon Druid (part long lost prince, part Viking cannibal).

Teamwork might be an issue. And yes, I only every play full casters.

Kellendros95
2016-03-25, 01:43 PM
Drow Cleric (Tempest) - CG - want to know everything about surface life.
Human Paladin (wanted to be Ancient, but died) - LG - raised by druids, wanted to protect nature.
Human Barbarian (Totem, homebrew Salamander totem) - CN - pyromaniac, wanted to commit heroic deeds for glory.
Half-elf Bard (Lore) - NG - want to know about creation of magic items and create a magical musical instrument that will can serve only good.

Not so bad, I think. Artillery/Support/Healer, Tank/Healer, Tank/Damager and Support/Healer/Party-face.

And they must not killed each other, Barbarian and Paladin may have tried to, but, I think, others can stop them.

Socko525
2016-03-25, 02:31 PM
Half-Elf Oath of the Ancients Paladin/Lore Bard
Half-Elf Life Cleric/Lore Bard (1 level Life c\Cleric for armor/boosted healing)
Winged Feral Tiefling Bladesinger Wizard
Variant Human Fighter/Tempest Cleric (2 levels Fighter for Action Surge)

I think my party would faceroll through a lot of encounters.
I'd have:
-ridiculous amounts of healing
-Charisma to saves/half damage from spells/immunity to fear.
-All characters have high AC
-Lots of melee/tanks
-High skill versatility and high Persuasion rolls to avoid combat
-Tons of AOE/spell damage versatility from Bard and Wizard

I'd adventure with this party any time.

Lycanthrope13
2016-03-25, 08:42 PM
Let's see, last 4
Half-Orc Druid
Dwarf Barbarian
Tiefling Ranger
Half-Elf Cleric

Looks like I'm desperately lacking a skill monkey. Cleric has enough Charisma to be the face. Barbarian was a pretty good tank. Ranger had excellent damage output. Druid was poorly executed. I was trying something new.

xanderh
2016-03-26, 06:00 AM
Mine could very well be a family gone adventuring. All catfolk:
Current is an Eldritch Knight that has embraced the curse of lycanthropy. Sword&board tank, doing really well in his current party.
Then we've got a Arcane Trickster charlatan that killed a noble and assumed his identity.
A (female) wild magic sorcerer that with some regularity gets younger. It's frequent enough that she could be the age of her children and eventually grandchildren.
And then there's a Gestalt fighter//wizard, which would best be played as a homebrew arcane half-caster.

No healing, but it should work pretty well in any case.

Flashy
2016-03-26, 06:58 AM
NG Knowledge Cleric (Vuman)
NG Bladelock (Half Orc)
LG Thief Rogue (Lightfoot Halfling)
CG Hunter Ranger (Half Elf)

Not a bad party composition, take it all around. The rogue and the ranger were both back in 3.5, so the subclass for each is really what I'd probably convert them to rather than anything hard and fast. Maybe a touch on the squishy side, but fairly well balanced. Solid out of combat options in basically every category.

Foxhound438
2016-03-26, 01:04 PM

Absolutely terrible.

The warlock would die to the paladin at first sight (detect evil). The paladin could easily afford a rez for the barbarian, but the barbarian would not come back - he is busy killing ogres in his afterlife. I don't see the wizard surviving anything thrown at the party.

The paladin was near indestructible since he was in Pathfinder. Lots of HPs, awesome saves, and Lay On Hands as a move action on self. Crazy good. He would be a one man party.

RIP lay on hands... you used to be good, in other games...

WarrentheHero
2016-03-26, 01:49 PM
Let's see... I've got a human Fighter (Battlemaster) with only one usable arm (DM says he can one-handed his greatsword), a Tiefling Binder (import homebrew from 3.5), a Half-Orc Paladin (Devotion), and a human Wizard (Diviner).

The Fighter is stoic and pragmatic, the Tiefling never reveals all he knows and is secretly working the group to achieve his own ends, the Half-Orc rushes headlog into battle because he believes Pelor's Light will keep him safe, and the reclusive Wizard is there mostly to see how everyone's fates measure up. Oddly, he's the most cooperative of the group.

Serket
2016-03-28, 06:32 PM
I choose to answer this as "the next character I'm playing combined with the last three from any role-playing game" rather than just 5e, because I think it's funnier.

The stone-age human woman wants to be in charge, because she's from a matriarchy and therefore does dominance games. The elf arcane trickster wins easily, and is about to kill her just to make a point about Elven superiority when the vampire decides that Vampire Elf is the new black, and that Elf blood is probably super tasty. She has ludicrous super-speed, so the Elf is very briefly surprised, but then the 27th century space robot (who had been confused by all these strange organics) realises her "sanctity of life" directive is pinging, and shoots the vampire. Given her 27th century gun, the vampire is also very briefly surprised.
Unfortunately space robot has no idea how to repair damaged organics, so the human woman bleeds out.

Although that is all pre-supposing no compelling reason to work together. I suppose if we add that in they probably do fine - the vampire and the robot can both self-heal, and the AT has some neat tricks. I suppose in 5e the human is a dual-wielding Fighter of some sort, so she's not really pulling her weight.