PDA

View Full Version : Spelljammer Busboy: Background for a Gnome

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 06:21 PM
Okay, this will sound a little weird but here goes. I'm making a gnomish Artificer (which I'm still trying to pull ideas for in another thread) and I would like some input on his backstory. I'm envisioning him as a waiter/busboy at the World Serpent Inn, interacting with gods and travelers from throughout the realms while never seeing anything for himself. One day, he got sick of his life of just serving travelers and decided to become one himself. He stole a Smalljammer, but was pulled into the crystal sphere of the world m DM is using and crashed. Now, he seeks to find what he can about his new world while trying to repair the ship so he can continue his travels or return home. I was thinking of using the Far Traveler background, but with something like Persuasion substituted for Insight. Thoughts and comments from people more familiar with the Spelljammer setting?

indemnity
2016-03-22, 08:31 PM
Okay, this will sound a little weird...

First, paragraphs and white space will make your comment much more readable.

Second, not weird enough!

That is a pretty standard "hero's journey" background story (hello Skywalker, lost, want to go home). Simple, easy to understand motivation, good hooks for the DM. What motivation do you have to play with others? Eventually you fix the ship and go home, right?

Far Traveler is fine. Other backgrounds with perception include Hillsfar Smuggler (stealth) and sailor/pirate (athletics). Both have alternatively suitable features.

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 08:41 PM
First, paragraphs and white space will make your comment much more readable.

Second, not weird enough!

That is a pretty standard "hero's journey" background story (hello Skywalker, lost, want to go home). Simple, easy to understand motivation, good hooks for the DM. What motivation do you have to play with others? Eventually you fix the ship and go home, right?

Far Traveler is fine. Other backgrounds with perception include Hillsfar Smuggler (stealth) and sailor/pirate (athletics). Both have alternatively suitable features.

Sorry! My grammatic tendencies prevent me from arbitrarily breaking up true paragraphs into more manageable chunks, but my tired mind is not keeping up with the presentation necessary. Where is Hillsfar Smuggler at?

Falcon X
2016-03-23, 10:03 AM
Homebrew backgrounds are pretty easy to allow. Check out the Reluctant Foreigner here: http://tribality.com/2015/04/13/new-options-for-your-gith-pcs

I once made a worker for the Intergalactic Postal Service who claimed to have been stuck on the planet in a similar circumstance, but in actuality had some high level packages to deliver to questionable people. Throw in the fact that he was a 3.5 Multiple Personality Disorder Changeling Factotum and you had lots of fun...

What if your busboy already had dreams or aspirations before he got sucked in. You know, perhaps he always dreamed of being a pirate, or saving damsels in distress, or whatever. Now he is in a world confronted by some of his dreams. How does he react to that? what if it doesn't look like what he wanted?