PDA

View Full Version : Tome of Battle Legacy sword question

brian c
2007-06-20, 02:37 PM
Okay, in the back of ToB there are Legacy weapon statistics for the Nine Swords. Each has certain abilities and drawbacks, in the form of attack penalty, hp loss, and penalty to a save. Looking through those, the Iron Heart Sword, Kamate, has the save penalty listed as "Save Penalty", whereas the other 8 swords list a specific save, Ref, Fort or Will. Does that mean that Kamate gives a penalty to all three saves? Or is it to a save of your choice? Or is it just a typo?

Arbitrarity
2007-06-20, 02:43 PM
I'd go with all saves :smallyuk:

Just seems that way to me. Check the ToB errata, possibly.

EDIT: Wait, there is no ToB errata...

brian c
2007-06-20, 03:02 PM
I'd go with all saves :smallyuk:

Just seems that way to me. Check the ToB errata, possibly.

Unfortunately, there is no Errata for ToB. The most recent FAQ does not mention this either.

Edit: Yeah, see? There actually hasn't been any Errata released by WotC for almost a year, June 29th, 2006 for Monster Manual III.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-20, 03:11 PM
That is indeed to all saves. See Weapons of Legacy.

brian c
2007-06-20, 03:14 PM
That is indeed to all saves. See Weapons of Legacy.

Damn. Well, Kamate only takes away 1 to attacks, whereas the others end up taking 3 or 4, so I guess it's a decent tradeoff.

Mad Wizard
2007-06-20, 03:59 PM
On a related note, are legacy weapons really worth it? They don't seem that much more powerful compared to other items you could just buy, and you have to do rituals to get their powers, along with losing attack bonuses and save bonuses.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-06-20, 06:15 PM
On a related note, are legacy weapons really worth it? They don't seem that much more powerful compared to other items you could just buy, and you have to do rituals to get their powers, along with losing attack bonuses and save bonuses.

In a strict number-grinding analysis, likely they're a wash at best. The costs for having one can really be a pain, especially once they start adding up to something significant at higher levels.

That said, there is something oh-so-cool about the idea of a magical item that gains power with its owner; it becomes a part of the character and her legacy, and many people play D&D for stuff like that. So probably not worth it on "crunch" but very much so on "fluff".