PDA

View Full Version : Mage Hand/Arcane Trcikster Question

SMac8988
2016-03-22, 08:20 PM
So I was reading over the Cross Bow Master feat, amd it feels like a decent enough feat. But i see there really isnt a way to still use two hand cross bows, due to needing a free hand to reload.

my question is, would most dm`s allow the use of mage hand to reload the cross bows while firing. Since attack with an ammunation weapon states drawing the ammo and drawing it ispart of the attack, but requires a free hand.

Figured mage hand could handle it, since they are capable of a lot. Thoughts?

Hrugner
2016-03-22, 08:31 PM
I'd let it go honestly. Since you can just use the same hand crossbow twice and not worry about needing an extra hand, using the magehand to reload them isn't a big issue. I'd look at it more closely if you wanted something else in that second hand though like a shield or quarterstaff.

SMac8988
2016-03-22, 08:35 PM
My thought is it would give you an extra attack with it, similar as if you had 2 daggers, plus the bonus. Being 4 attacks, if i looked at it right. My idea would be to take some levels in ranger for collisal slayer, and archery and hunters mark. Then run in with cross bow master and wreck shop?

Lawful Good
2016-03-22, 08:36 PM
Loading a crossbow with Mage Hand would probably be usable with most DM's. I would definitely allow it. It has really good flavor, and there's no reason it couldn't.

RickAllison
2016-03-22, 08:39 PM
My thought is it would give you an extra attack with it, similar as if you had 2 daggers, plus the bonus. Being 4 attacks, if i looked at it right. My idea would be to take some levels in ranger for collisal slayer, and archery and hunters mark. Then run in with cross bow master and wreck shop?

Is that as a fighter with the second Extra Attack? Because Crossbow Expert only gives you one attack as your bonus action.

SharkForce
2016-03-22, 09:20 PM
i would let you use a hand crossbow with just about anything that isn't a shield in the other hand. you want a sword? sure, i don't care. you want a magic wand? go right ahead. you want to juggle half a dozen flasks of alchemist's fire just to show how amazing you are that you can do that while focusing on aiming? knock yourself out (but not literally, because then you'll drop all that alchemist fire, and you won't enjoy that).

but the moment you talk about putting a shield in that hand, i'm just going to say no, and if you complain that i allow the other things i'll stop allowing the other things.

i'm relatively okay with crossbow expert being the best damage-dealing ranged option. i mean, it annoys me slightly that it is better to use a hand crossbow than a longbow, but whatever. but i'm not going to allow it to be the fighting style that enjoys the benefits of superior offense to a point where it is close to two-handed weapons, superior defense equal to sword and board, *and* range.

Hrugner
2016-03-22, 11:02 PM

When you have two daggers you attack with one and take your one bonus action as a second attack with the other one. You'd get the same thing with the hand crossbow if you had this feat, but you'd only need one crossbow. Getting 4 attacks would require: more bonus actions, which isn't s thing so far, or more attacks through extra attacks.

Colossi slayer is also once per turn. Cool if you get your reaction attack or have tunnel fighter, but not amazing.

SMac8988
2016-03-22, 11:59 PM
So with one bonus attack feature, and cross bow mastery i would gets 3 attacks at the expense of my bonus action? I thought with using 2 weapons i would get one more at least?

I had saw someone before describe using two weapons at level 3 with two attacks, and 3 at level 5. But i could be confused.

manny2510
2016-03-23, 12:40 AM
A crossbow with a 5 pound draw?

SMac8988
2016-03-23, 12:58 AM
A crossbow with a 5 pound draw?

That is a thing, but at same time i feel we can suspend disbelief, since it is a the magic hand of a man fighting a potentional dragon doing it.... just saying i dont see anything in the books about draw str. Because then i should, by that definition, be able to get high draw bows and crossbows for more damage...

Hrugner
2016-03-23, 01:30 AM
So with one bonus attack feature, and cross bow mastery i would gets 3 attacks at the expense of my bonus action? I thought with using 2 weapons i would get one more at least?

I had saw someone before describe using two weapons at level 3 with two attacks, and 3 at level 5. But i could be confused.

Nope, your bonus action produces one extra attack unless you get a bonus action that specifically gives you two attacks such as the monk's 2 hit unarmed flurry. So, at first level, you get one attack and a second attack from the bonus action. Then, at fifth level, you'd get your extra attack from your extra attack class feature for rangers giving you two attacks from your attack action and a third attack provided by your bonus action.

RickAllison
2016-03-23, 01:38 AM
As far as I can remember, the only ways to get more than three attacks with the crossbow involve Swift Quiver (two attacks with the bonus action instead of one), Haste (gives you another action that can have have one attack from the Attack action), or fighter levels (to get more Extra Attack).

SMac8988
2016-03-23, 05:28 AM
Oh ok. Makes sense.

I gotta get my build together now!