PDA

View Full Version : winged tiefling character. need help with spells.

Reaper34
2016-03-22, 10:28 PM
ok going into a new campaign. we're lucky cause out of 7 of us 3 are dm's, so new campaigns are pretty common. anyway we've nerfed the flying a bit. 1st gets double jump higth/distance and feather fall. still kinda working on it from there.

winged tiefling wizard/enchanter when we get there. s7/d13/c7/i19/w14/c18 noble CN maybe NE he's not much for violence but isn't adverse to it. has a slightly warped sense of morality. (like a dinner serving a halfling roasted on a spit wouldn't bother him cause it wasn't a demon or a human.) he was never taught eating people that arn't your race was wrong. he is smart enough to keep this kind of behaviour hidden from those that think it is wrong and he is loyal to his friends. he is also capable of selfless kindness and often cast spells for the poor or tosses them coin. he's not above doing these things very publically if he thinks it will gain him something though.

background his grandmother is a succubus that owns a brothel called the shifting desire in a large city. guilds control the city more than the nobles. his mother works there as well as several doplergangers and other creatures able to shapeshift. they shift into whatever the customer desires. clients range from usual brothel customers to home sick merchants wanting to share a meal with their family (even if it is a lie the charms make them beleave it for the time they are there). unable to shift he had to make his own way in the world. his mother and gran provided for him to study wizardy and now he's setting off.

personality. he's the refined gentleman (think victorian big bussinessman). charming or intimadating. lives at the top edge of his means. drinking the finest wines and attending the finest parties. this sometimes involves a gifted invite form one of his "new friends" (charmed or blackmailed person). his dress matches his tastes and they are often gifts from suiters (some charmed some not).

looks: his skin is jet black with blood red curled and slightly curved horns. the "whites" of his eyes are red with cat eye pupals. his teeth are sharp like a cats with distinct canines. he has a forked tongue. his wings are usually wrapped around him like a cape of fine suede leather. he doesn't cast a shadow. in less urban areas many of these things disturb people.

most enchantment spells are good as are illusions. any other ideas. doesn't have to be optamized the character certanially isn't.

Lawful Good
2016-03-22, 11:24 PM
I have to say, awesome character concept. I will have to steal parts of this for my upcoming game (*no shame*:smalltongue:).

First of all, the character sounds rather neutral to me. He does evil acts willingly, but he also does good acts willingly. It all depends on the situation he's in and the benefit that he gains (as I'm typing this, this does sound somewhat evil).

As for spells, if you aren't going for an optimized character, you should just pick the spells that look cool. As an enchanter, and with your backstory, it sounds like you are leaning on more of the "illusion" aspect of enchanting. Maybe pick spells that would help you con people/trick people. Friends would definitely fit in.

Zman
2016-03-22, 11:34 PM
Just go Warlock. Pick up Eldritch Blast, Agonizing Blast, Eldritch Spear. Then go Sorcerer. Pick up Distant Spell and when you get a feat pick up Spell Sniper. Just fly up and hit enemies from 1200' above with no cover with the best ranged attack around.

Reaper34
2016-03-23, 01:25 AM
he's not a sorcerer or a warlock. it's a wizard build for fun. figured someone would suggest this though.

JackPhoenix
2016-03-23, 01:59 PM
First of all, the character sounds rather neutral to me. He does evil acts willingly, but he also does good acts willingly. It all depends on the situation he's in and the benefit that he gains (as I'm typing this, this does sound somewhat evil).

Not wanting to start another alignment debate (Gygax knows we've got enough of those), but good and evil are not equal. Few good deeds won't redeem you or balance the alignment if you still do evil stuff without regrets. The character would be evil.

Reaper34
2016-03-23, 03:45 PM
Not wanting to start another alignment debate (Gygax knows we've got enough of those), but good and evil are not equal. Few good deeds won't redeem you or balance the alignment if you still do evil stuff without regrets. The character would be evil.

a few points to look at though. 1. he doesn't commit evil acts for the sake of evil. he either has something to gain from it or he doesn't think it's wrong. 2. If he was taught that certain evil acts were OK or even culturally acceptable (demonic culture granted but still) is it still evil. others don't do it because it's not their culture and it makes them uncomfortable if you do it. 3. how many chances does a person have to truely commit evil when they arn't going out of their way to do it or have the power to do it. opposed to how many times you can do something good either for personal gain (oh look how nice i am invite me to the ball) or just to curry favor with a group. (here old charlie have a couple gold and if you hear anything interesting while begging let me know.) or just because you want to. (i picked up this blanket on my last adventure charlie you need it more than me.) he's probably still evil but he functions well within society.