PDA

View Full Version : How would you build a Gatecrasher in 5e?

EvilestWeevil
2016-03-23, 03:14 AM
As the title suggests, I am in a position of converting a 4th edition character who was a rogue gatecrasher. Any ideas would be welcome as to how to build that in 5th edition.

djreynolds
2016-03-23, 03:50 AM
If the DM would allow a special battle master maneuver versus inanimate object. And an improved cover class feature, that adds luck or charisma to your AC while trying to bust into something while people drop stuff on your head. You could also steal the parry feature of the scout archetype, which is like defensive duelist with maneuver die and then still half damage.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-03-23, 05:12 AM
I assume you mean the teleporting rogue? Probably arcane trickster rogue / pact of the blade warlock, and pick up misty step

Kane0
2016-03-23, 05:35 AM
Oh, i thought it was something like a 3e dungeon crasher fighter. Which would be easy, just take 1-3 barb and 1-2 rogue for advantage and double prof on str checks.

eastmabl
2016-03-23, 11:15 AM
I thought this was the Gate Crashing supplement for Eclipse Phase.

Or as my group called it, "an unlicensed Stargate RPG."

mephnick
2016-03-23, 02:42 PM
Man, you need to add a little more detail to your question, especially with something from 4e. There's a lot of people here who never touched it.

What's a gatecrasher? What are it's key attributes/abilities?

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-03-23, 10:11 PM
If I recall right, Gatecrasher was a Rogue paragon path (similar to prestige class) it only required you to be a rogue in some form with training in arcana.

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Gatecrasher

It gave them access to teleporting powers, teleportation circles/similar rituals, greater mastery over portals (seeing true destination if obscured, recognizing illusionary portals) and a bonus to breaking arcane lock (which could be used on portals in 4E)

So a rogue archetype made similar to the shadow monk maybe, or with something like warlock invocations. It wouldn't work on an arcane trickster, as they don't have as many or high enough spell slots.

They need some access to knock, misty step, maybe Blink, teleportation circle, teleport, arcane gate. Idk about Gate (maybe once a week like clerics miracle)

EvilestWeevil
2016-03-23, 10:42 PM
Gatecrasher was also in 3rd from the manual of the planes, essentially it was a rogue that could open portals, teleport, attack through mini portals, and disable portals.

Kane0
2016-03-23, 11:12 PM
So what you need is misty step as often as possible, dimension door a bit less often, some other misc magic like arcane lock & knock, and eventually full on teleportation magic. Sounds like an AT rogue mixed with warlock, or possibly a favored soul with some sort of travel domain and a rogue dip.

Now you're thinking with portals.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-23, 11:13 PM
I came here expecting a thread about bodily smashing through doors and walls like the Kool-Aid man. I'm somewhat disappointed.

RickAllison
2016-03-23, 11:28 PM
I came here expecting a thread about bodily smashing through doors and walls like the Kool-Aid man. I'm somewhat disappointed.

And now I must ponder how to make that archetype function :P

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-03-24, 12:41 AM
So what you need is misty step as often as possible, dimension door a bit less often, some other misc magic like arcane lock & knock, and eventually full on teleportation magic. Sounds like an AT rogue mixed with warlock, or possibly a favored soul with some sort of travel domain and a rogue dip.

Now you're thinking with portals.

Except the Arcane Trickster caps out at 4th level spells that you don't get until 19th level. Teleportation circle is 5th level, and I'm sure there are other ones useful to the archetype that would be higher level. Teleport is 7th

EvilestWeevil
2016-03-24, 12:54 AM
With the limited options I could re-flavor spells, but more than likely I will just build that aspect out of the character. I will just focus on the fighting elements of the character instead of the magic elements. Rogue/Fighter here I come!

Thanks for the help though.