PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Strahd as a one shot

JamesIntrocaso
2016-03-23, 08:14 AM
So I really want to run Curse of Strahd to get a fix of that sweet, sweet gothic horror, but I also don't want to stop the games I'm currently running for a few months to run something else since my players and I are invested in those stories. I had an idea for running Strahd as a one shot that I posted on my blog (http://worldbuilderblog.me/2016/03/23/playing-curse-of-strahd-as-a-one-shot/), but the idea is basically outlined below.

Have your players make level 9 PCs that have already been living in Barovia for months or years and have some reason to hate Strahd and then begin the game with them in a Vistani carriage on their way to Castle Ravenloft. Madam Eva is in the carriage with them and does a modified Fortunes of Ravenloft card reading with a limited tarokka deck (so all items and allies are inside Castle Ravenloft). Essentially the PCs just play through Chapter 4 - Castle Ravenloft of the adventure.

I know this isn't as deep or satisfying as running the whole thing, but I think it's a good way to get a taste and doesn't ruin a later play through of the whole adventure, since Fortunes of Ravenloft makes everything a little more modular. What do you think?

Falcon X
2016-03-23, 09:51 AM
I haven't read through Curse of Strahd, but I know the 3.5 edition of Castle Ravenloft had a one-shot section. If you can get a hold of it, it might give you some pointers.

JamesIntrocaso
2016-03-23, 10:36 AM
I haven't read through Curse of Strahd, but I know the 3.5 edition of Castle Ravenloft had a one-shot section. If you can get a hold of it, it might give you some pointers.

That's a great tip! Thanks!!!

eastmabl
2016-03-23, 11:13 AM
An adventure called "Death House" is available through the DM's Guild.

It is also Appendix A of the Curse of Strahd.

JamesIntrocaso
2016-03-23, 12:00 PM
An adventure called "Death House" is available through the DM's Guild.

It is also Appendix A of the Curse of Strahd.

I have read/reviewed that one. It's great! But I want my players to fight the main event.

pwykersotz
2016-03-23, 12:04 PM
Depending on how long your session is, you might need to downsize the crypts a little. There's a LOT of them, and it will take time to go through them all.

Also, if she's not the ally drawn, you might still want to work Ireena in there somehow. Maybe substitute her in where you usually find Gertruda.

JamesIntrocaso
2016-03-23, 12:06 PM
Depending on how long your session is, you might need to downsize the crypts a little. There's a LOT of them, and it will take time to go through them all.

Also, if she's not the ally drawn, you might still want to work Ireena in there somehow. Maybe substitute her in where you usually find Gertruda.

These are great suggestions. The Ireena call is an especially good one!

gunrock82
2016-03-24, 01:01 AM
I happen to have the 3.5 adventure in my garage. Been actually thinking of attempting to transfer it to 5th. If you have any particular questions, **** me a line

JamesIntrocaso
2016-03-24, 08:41 AM
I happen to have the 3.5 adventure in my garage. Been actually thinking of attempting to transfer it to 5th. If you have any particular questions, **** me a line

I have copy somewhere too. If I can't find it, I'll let you know!

Falcon X
2016-03-24, 02:29 PM
If I remember correctly, it was mostly just streamlined, spending the majority of the time in the castle. You start in Barovia where you receive a letter. Skip in between fights and get to the lead-in that makes you go to the castle.
You don't have to go on a quest for items of power. If you get one of them, it is placed in easy to find places upon your path.

JamesIntrocaso
2016-03-24, 02:55 PM
If I remember correctly, it was mostly just streamlined, spending the majority of the time in the castle. You start in Barovia where you receive a letter. Skip in between fights and get to the lead-in that makes you go to the castle.
You don't have to go on a quest for items of power. If you get one of them, it is placed in easy to find places upon your path.

There ya go! That's what I did (and more or less how I6 did it).