PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster help

Sir cryosin
2016-03-23, 11:24 AM
We are running curse of Strahd. we just got done with death house we all died. So we rolled up new characters I wanted to play a sticky fingers AT I don't know how much I'm going to get to steal stuff so how can I battle equiped my AT
Equipment shortbow, Shortsword, dagger, leather armor

Race forest gnome
Str: 12
Dex: 19.
Con: 15
Wis: 13
Int: 17
Cha: 14
Cantrips: prestidigitation,minor illusion,mage hand,booming blade
1st disguise self, detect magic, Tasha's Hideous Laughter.
Any opinions, advice, help?

Jarlhen
2016-03-23, 11:47 AM
Consider getting Find Familiar to start with. It's the single most powerful spell in the game up until, I don't know Wish?

Sir cryosin
2016-03-23, 11:55 AM
Consider getting Find Familiar to start with. It's the single most powerful spell in the game up until, I don't know Wish?

Why? Do you think it is

famousringo
2016-03-23, 12:12 PM
Why? Do you think it is

An extra pair of eyes, a discreet scout, may have powers of perception beyond your own, can give you advantage for your sneak attacks. Also delivers touch spells, but I don't know if there's a good usage there for Arcane Tricksters.

I see the appeal of a scout/trapfinder with Detect Magic, but it feels like something better left to a full caster with lots of spell slots and ritual magic.

Jarlhen
2016-03-23, 12:37 PM
Why? Do you think it is

Just like Famousringo said above. Here's a compendium explaining the ins and outs of a familiar. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bJ7sEa2X-mTcXJ2fDQRDGx3dgoRgY7VOJZtsIMv0ppM/edit

Sir cryosin
2016-03-23, 12:57 PM
An extra pair of eyes, a discreet scout, may have powers of perception beyond your own, can give you advantage for your sneak attacks. Also delivers touch spells, but I don't know if there's a good usage there for Arcane Tricksters.

I see the appeal of a scout/trapfinder with Detect Magic, but it feels like something better left to a full caster with lots of spell slots and ritual magic.

Detect magic dont use a spell slot if cast as ritual

Toadkiller
2016-03-23, 01:54 PM
Which I don't think you can do as an AT without the feat. Unless you're the caster for the party I wouldn't spend much resource on detect magic.

Otherwise it looks fine. I like green flame blade more, but that's simply opinion not power. Booming is fun and with all your movement probably "better".

Bottom line - I'm running a campaign with an AT. Great fun, very versatile. Grab the spells you want to cast and enjoy. Worst case is you fall back to being a rogue if you don't have the ideal spell for a particular situation. Which is fine, you're a magical dabbler not a real wizard.

DracoKnight
2016-03-23, 11:17 PM

Eh, shocking grasp grants advantage if the target is wearing metal armor...you have your familiar shocking grasp an enemy, and then you come in and attack with advantage.