PDA

View Full Version : No tanglefoot bags in 5e?

Erose
2016-03-23, 02:59 PM
Or anything that resembles it's function in 3e? I kinda liked those.

Daishain
2016-03-23, 03:05 PM
Not at present, the equipment list is rather sparse at the moment. My own favorite magical tool, shapesand, hasn't shown up either.

However, importing tanglefoot bags to this system would be a synch assuming the DM is on board with the idea.

Quintessence
2016-03-23, 03:56 PM
Not at present, the equipment list is rather sparse at the moment. My own favorite magical tool, shapesand, hasn't shown up either.

However, importing tanglefoot bags to this system would be a synch assuming the DM is on board with the idea.

Oh I miss shapesand so much... I don't think we are ever going to get it back :(

EvanescentHero
2016-03-23, 07:10 PM
What's shapesand? I played 3.P, but never heard about that. It sounds super cool!

Hrugner
2016-03-23, 07:40 PM
A net is as close as it gets to a tanglefoot bag I think. If you can throw a net with your bonus action somehow it may even be worth it.

TripleD
2016-03-23, 08:02 PM
What's shapesand? I played 3.P, but never heard about that. It sounds super cool!

It was from "Sandstorm", one of the "environmental" splat books.

If I remember right it was kind of like "psychic sand" that you could mold into any shape you wanted. There were limits on how much you could shape at once, but the shapes it took were solid, so having some shapesand on hand meant basically never having to worry about bringing a crowbar, pulley, or all the other little things that granted +2 bonuses to checks. It was also reusable.

Quintessence
2016-03-23, 08:37 PM

You used a wisdom check to shape the sand into anything you wanted, even things like weapons.

EvanescentHero
2016-03-23, 09:21 PM
That's rad. I totally want that now.

Daishain
2016-03-23, 11:41 PM
That's rad. I totally want that now.
Indeed, there was a catch in that anyone nearby could attempt the check needed to wrest control of it away from you, making its use in combat with an aware opponent a questionable idea, but even with that in mind, it is still the ultimate swiss army knife.

Coidzor
2016-03-24, 01:31 AM
The biggest issue was shenanigans with it turning into alchemical items or possibly poisons, IIRC.

Axe those and all you gotta do is come up with a price and decide if you want to adjust the DC.