PDA

View Full Version : Evil ranger/rogue assassin which race fits best

Ewhit
2016-03-23, 04:15 PM
Looking at a L,N,C evil ranger/rogue assassin using only phb races

Either traditional forest or underdark style ranger
. He's the hired tracker and assassin for main villain.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-23, 04:23 PM
Halfing. 'Cause reasons. And they'll never see you coming.

Though seriously, a lightfoot halfling's ability to hide behind anyone bigger than them is a good way to get around and stab something in the back. And Lucky is just plan awesome.

A wood elf wouldn't be too bad at all, their bonuses line up with what a ranger needs, and they also get a nice stealth benefit from being able to hide in any natural weather phenomenon. Of extra note, they have a faster moving speed than any other race, letting you get in and backstab that much quicker, and get out that much faster as well. And Darkvision is really handy for someone of a less... nice persuasion.

Gtdead
2016-03-23, 05:32 PM
I'd go with drow. Being able to cast darkness with darkvision is awesome. 2 dex is awesome, charisma depends on your character concept.

Edit: seems darkvision doesn't work with magical darkness. Still it's good to have darkvision for a sneaky type though.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-23, 05:37 PM
I'd go with drow. Being able to cast darkness with darkvision is awesome. 2 dex is awesome, charisma depends on your character concept.

Unfortunately, Darkvision doesn't work with magical darkness, like the one created by the spell. That's why Shadow Monk / Warlock is so popular, because of the Warlock invocation that directly says it lets you see through magical darkness.

RickAllison
2016-03-23, 05:37 PM

Assassins do like Charisma to pass Deception checks. Certainly not a waste, in any case.

Gtdead
2016-03-23, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately, Darkvision doesn't work with magical darkness, like the one created by the spell. That's why Shadow Monk / Warlock is so popular, because of the Warlock invocation that directly says it lets you see through magical darkness.

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that.