PDA

View Full Version : Optimization D&D Paladin Fighting Style Dilemna

DaKiwiMonsta
2016-03-23, 04:41 PM
I'm creating a 1st level paladin, but I realise that I want two fighting styles for my character. Unfortunately I can only pick one.

The first is Great Weapon Fighting, which appeals to me as my character uses a Glaive, and potentially improves my damage output. I have taken the polearm master feat already so I would feel inclined towards taking this one as my paladin is already rather dedicated to his Glaive.
The second is the mariner fighting style (taken from UA Waterborne) which improves my swimming and climbing while not wearing heavy armour, as well as adding to my AC when I don't wear heavy armour. This appeals to me from a roleplaying perspective as my character has the sailor background and we may or may not be spending a lot of time near the ocean.

However my character is restricted to starting equipment (DM's Rules) so he is currently in Chainmail (heavy). This would render the Mariner useless unless I were to forgo my Chainmail for another armour (preferably in the medium section) which will be costly. I'm not sure which one to choose because I have no idea how much time the adventure will spend near the coast, nor will I have time to figure it out as the Fighting Style feature becomes available at 2nd level paladin. I don't want to multiclass either, as I really want this Dragonborn character to get wings (Avenging Angel feature), so fighter is out of the question. Opinions and Advice?

RavensLand
2016-03-23, 05:24 PM
It would depend on if your dm rules that the great weapon style lets you reroll all dice in the attack (smite spells or the divine smite feature). If you get to reroll those as well I say there's no question. If he doesn't then I would go mariner because more utility and ac is more appealing than the occasional reroll of 1d12(?). Being away from the sea would be a minor issue since the climb speed could still be very potentially useful and you never know when you'll have to swim or die.

wunderkid
2016-03-23, 05:33 PM
Well it was sage adviced that the intention for the rerolls is only on the weapon not any smite dice.

RickAllison
2016-03-23, 05:36 PM
So it's sounding like the best option would probably be Mariner and just forgetting about the Fighting Style. As for starting in chain-mail, you can sell it off at the next armorer to get your medium armor. You can handle one adventure without it.

RavensLand
2016-03-23, 05:42 PM
Well it was sage adviced that the intention for the rerolls is only on the weapon not any smite dice.

Completely understandable. A paladin can dream though.

DaKiwiMonsta
2016-03-23, 05:43 PM
So it's sounding like the best option would probably be Mariner and just forgetting about the Fighting Style. As for starting in chain-mail, you can sell it off at the next armorer to get your medium armor. You can handle one adventure without it.

Thanks for the advice, I see what you mean and I'd have to agree that mariner would have more utility. I think I know what to choose now when i level up to paladin 2 :).

Quintessence
2016-03-23, 05:43 PM

I always thought that was pretty obvious... I feel that GWF style is underwhelming compared to +1 AC from defense or mariner :(

RickAllison
2016-03-23, 05:44 PM
I always thought that was pretty obvious... I feel that GWF style is underwhelming compared to +1 AC from defense or mariner :(

Maybe it's to make up for the GWM feat :smalltongue:

Alerad
2016-03-24, 06:26 PM
The GWF gives you slightly more damage, but I'd take the Mariner. It gives you better utility and you also have some nice ideas for character background right from the style itself. Dragonborn with a swim speed can be pretty cool-looking character.

I'm playing a Barbarian with the polearm master feat, and it's pretty solid by itself. I'll recommend taking Sentinel with it though, again for more interesting combats ;)

I don't know what is your party composition, but if they're not that optimized for damage maybe no need for you too. Otherwise it will feel they're left behind, you already have pretty strong smites.

Corran
2016-03-24, 07:07 PM
PM and dragonborn implies you are using a str build. Between str, cha and con (and to a lesser extent wisdom, as it will hurt you to have a negative mod in it), there are not enough points for you to spare for your dex score. So unless you rolled some really op stats, heavy armor seems to be a no brainer. And sooner rather than later you will get access to better armor, so that makes me think that mariner is a bad investment for you.

That said, gwf is not impressive either, if your DM follows the clarification regarding how the rerolls on 1's and 2's are applied. Defense seems your best bet.

Alejandro
2016-03-24, 07:11 PM
I'm creating a 1st level paladin, but I realise that I want two fighting styles for my character. Unfortunately I can only pick one.

The first is Great Weapon Fighting, which appeals to me as my character uses a Glaive, and potentially improves my damage output. I have taken the polearm master feat already so I would feel inclined towards taking this one as my paladin is already rather dedicated to his Glaive.
The second is the mariner fighting style (taken from UA Waterborne) which improves my swimming and climbing while not wearing heavy armour, as well as adding to my AC when I don't wear heavy armour. This appeals to me from a roleplaying perspective as my character has the sailor background and we may or may not be spending a lot of time near the ocean.

However my character is restricted to starting equipment (DM's Rules) so he is currently in Chainmail (heavy). This would render the Mariner useless unless I were to forgo my Chainmail for another armour (preferably in the medium section) which will be costly. I'm not sure which one to choose because I have no idea how much time the adventure will spend near the coast, nor will I have time to figure it out as the Fighting Style feature becomes available at 2nd level paladin. I don't want to multiclass either, as I really want this Dragonborn character to get wings (Avenging Angel feature), so fighter is out of the question. Opinions and Advice?

Don't place much value on Avenging Angel. You will only get it at 20th level. How many adventures will the PC go on after that point? How long will it take to get the PC to 20th level? Basically, some of the most powerful, high level abilities are also the least valuable, simply because you won't spend most of the game using them. Consider this at least. :)