PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Aarakocra Tiefling PC for Hoard of the Dragon Queen

wr4ith0
2016-03-23, 07:18 PM
Hi, New-ish DM here. One of my characters wants to roll a half tiefling half Aarakocra bard for our upcoming horde of the dragon queen campaign. I was thinking I'd let him chose from one of the two races ability score improvements with 25 ft. walking speed. and 2 of: Talons, Infernal Resistance, Hellish Legacy, and Darkvision. (adding a 3rd at level 3). I also think I'd be okay with letting him have his flight around level 6 (how much should I limit the speed though ((35 ft?)) That's a lot of abilities). From what I remember druids get access to it a level or two later anyway. Also he wanted to hide some of the demonic heritage, suggesting the character could be an incubi, because those automatically get that power. I'd probably be willing to grant him very limited shapeshifting (the ability to hide/reveal his horns etc. effecting nothing else)

Thoughts? (edit) on power level.

Meta: I've been running games for a little over a year, but find i still don't always have the best handle on power levels. I run one custom game, and picked up the last three sessions for this one when the DM got busy. I'm letting the guys come in with level 2 characters because they tend to be a bit hardier and I've been known to accidentally kill a PC (almost TPK'd in their last session... mostly because the players were being entertainingly stupid, but getting overconfident in their diplomatic skills and adding a third giant spider was totally me). This guy's being a good sport and giving up last session's xp and his old character from our fires of hell campaign to roll up a good guy that won't completely derail the plot, but he's also the biggest power gamer in the group. PS. I'm not worried much about fluff, mostly mechanics.

wunderkid
2016-03-23, 07:25 PM
Sword coast has flying tieflings if that's what you're after?

wunderkid
2016-03-23, 07:31 PM
Basically from what I understand you can pick and choose which of these traits and which base tiefling traits you want to use.

Feral. Intelligence +1 and your Dex 2. This trait replaces the Ability Score Increase trait.

Devil's Tongue. vicious mockery cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast the charm person spell as a 2nd-level once per long. 5th level, you can cast the enthrall spell once per long. replaces the Infernal Legacy trait.

Hellfire. 3rd level, you can cast the burning hands spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. replaces the hellish rebuke spell of the Infernal Legacy trait.

Winged. You have bat-like wings sprouting from your shoulder blades. You have a flying speed of 30 feet. replaces the Infernal Legacy trait.

wr4ith0
2016-03-23, 07:40 PM
(edit) Oops you mean from sword coast. He was pretty attached to the backstory he was working on, and I really had no problem with that part. I just wanted to make sure the resulting halfling would be decently balanced.

I was giving him the option to choose 2 of: Talons, Infernal Resistance, The casting, and Darkvision. I think I want to offer the ability to shapeshift away his horns and tail, forshadowing the ability to grow wings at will at level 6, that'll give him 35 foot flight.

Some of the hoard of the dragon queen seems like flight'd make it go a bit wonky, and that should hold it off till right about when they'd naturally be able to get it anyway.

Reaper34
2016-03-23, 07:54 PM
don't compleatly cut out the use of wings til level x. give them something that makes sense. like feather fall, long or high jump, a glide speed, help on dex checks for balance or don't fall off the cliff checks, or a wind push or blinding gust depending on terrian (flap wings to swirl sand into enemy's face).

the shape changing thing can be tricky. be careful about granting it. not saying don't but they may try to abuse the ability. it's basically a minor disguise spell or skill.

just my 2 cents

wunderkid
2016-03-23, 07:56 PM
You can refluff it, but the sword coast just gives you an idea of how it's been worked already, can't really see any balance issues with doing it either way, just wanted to let you know in case you didn't have access to that book

wr4ith0
2016-03-23, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, that was helpful, as was just thinking about it enough to put it to paper.

ps. I don't actually have access to the sword coast book. Flipping wings in for spellcasting might actually be a bit more balanced than delaying them... it's an interesting balance.

gunrock82
2016-03-24, 12:51 AM
IMO the best class for the arakokra is the monk for the obvious wisdom bonus. But you get a fly speed. Wich increases as you gain speed from monk.