PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Prismatic Mage - Wizard Archetype

Calen
2016-03-23, 07:29 PM
Taste the Painbow!
Caster of the 7 Deadly Colors!

A wizard who has taken the most mundane of the elements around herself, light, and turned it into a potent weapon.

An idea I had while setting up an NPC for a game.

Please critique and review!

2nd Level

Prismatic Attunement
Starting at 2nd level when you choose this archetype you attune yourself to the colors around you. At the end of a short or long rest roll 2d4 and attune yourself to the indicated color. When you cast a spell that deals damage of the type that you are attuned to you may reroll dice that show a 1 or a 2, you must use the new result. Additionally you are considered proficient when making saving throws that deal the damage type you are attuned to.

The table is set up so that Radiant, Fire and Lightning would be the most rolled.

#
Color
Damage

Green
Acid

Blue
Cold

Red
Fire

Yellow
Radiant

Orange
Lightning

Indigo
Thunder

Violet
Necrotic

Light Reveals
When you select this archetype at 2nd level, learn two additional cantrips of your choice. In addition when you cast a spell that allows you to choose a damage type you may choose any damage type from your attunement list.

6th Level
Discerning Gaze
As an action you can view objects as if they were half the distance that they actually are from you.

Powerful Attunement
You have resistance against damage that you are attuned to. In addition when attuning to a color you may roll twice and use either result.

10th Level
Expansive Colors
You gain Blindsight out to 60 feet.

Perfect Hue
When you cast a spell of 5th level or lower you may change the damage type to the color that you are attuned to. You must complete a long rest to use this feature again.

14th Level
Bold Colors
When rolling dice for a spell effect or for the damage type you are attuned to you may add your Intelligence modifier times half the casting level of the spell to the result.

A spell cast at 8th level would add Int mod times 4 to the result

PotatoGolem
2016-03-23, 08:35 PM
I'd switch radiant and cold. Wizards get very little that does radiant damage. Also, the 14th level feature is ill defined and seems op. If I cast fireball at 4th level, it adds 2xint (so 10) to the damage? That's way better than an evoker.

Calen
2016-03-24, 02:49 PM
Also, the 14th level feature is ill defined and seems op. If I cast fireball at 4th level, it adds 2xint (so 10) to the damage? That's way better than an evoker.

Using your example a Evoker will do 9d6 + INT maximized damage (59)

A Prismatic will do 9d6 + 2 INT averaged (45) or thereabouts.

The Evoker does more damage at the risk of damage over time. The Prismatic will do less damage but not being taking self damage.

--

Your other point is a good one. I might nix Light Savant and add spells to the Prismatic list.

CantigThimble
2016-03-24, 04:37 PM
I don't like the rolling every turn, it's time consuming and random. Bookkeeping like that on a regular basis is just annoying to play with. What if, instead of rolling, you cycled through the colors every time you cast a spell? That way you could have more control and plan ahead. Also, it would encourage you to use spells of every element rather than just focussing your list on fire and radiant and hoping it turns up when you need it.

For the level 2 feature I would grant a few extra attack cantrips to round out the list of elements in their spell book.

Calen
2016-03-24, 06:10 PM
I don't like the rolling every turn, it's time consuming and random. Bookkeeping like that on a regular basis is just annoying to play with. What if, instead of rolling, you cycled through the colors every time you cast a spell? That way you could have more control and plan ahead.

Maybe its just me but that seems like it would take more bookkeeping?

"Ok so I am on Acid this turn...."
"I thought you used Acid last turn?"
"Oh did I?"
"Yeah when you critted the kobold."
"Guys, that was two turns ago."

I could be wrong or our tables may vary.

CantigThimble
2016-03-24, 06:43 PM
Maybe its just me but that seems like it would take more bookkeeping?

"Ok so I am on Acid this turn...."
"I thought you used Acid last turn?"
"Oh did I?"
"Yeah when you critted the kobold."
"Guys, that was two turns ago."

I could be wrong or our tables may vary.

Thats a problem regardless of the two systems because you need to remember what element you're resistant to on enemy turns. I'd just have a list with a marking piece on it. (Don't use a die though) And move it around as needed.

JBPuffin
2016-03-24, 07:56 PM
I don't like the rolling every turn, it's time consuming and random. Bookkeeping like that on a regular basis is just annoying to play with. What if, instead of rolling, you cycled through the colors every time you cast a spell? That way you could have more control and plan ahead. Also, it would encourage you to use spells of every element rather than just focussing your list on fire and radiant and hoping it turns up when you need it.

For the level 2 feature I would grant a few extra attack cantrips to round out the list of elements in their spell book.

Second point is certainly a good one. As for the first, why not make the roll every short rest instead? That requires less modification while still making for less bookkeeping.

Calen
2016-03-25, 10:18 AM
Why not make the roll every short rest instead? That requires less modification while still making for less bookkeeping.

That is a good idea. Thanks!