PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What alignment is this fictional country?

Zhentarim
2016-03-23, 07:34 PM
In Newtonia, absolute loyalty to the state is required. It is illegal to criticize the government, and the military patrols the streets ensuring there is no litter, the streets are clean, and the homeless are executed. The law serves as a filter for the strong and cunning, and those who are too weak or mentally feeble to exist in Newtonia are executed. The law also ensures the strength and cunning of the strong and cunning in society are combined to crush Newtonia's enemies, which exist only for Newtonia to exploit.

tadkins
2016-03-23, 07:48 PM
Definitely the hardest of the hardcore Lawful Evil.

I want so badly to blow up that country. xD

Zhentarim
2016-03-23, 07:53 PM
Definitely the hardest of the hardcore Lawful Evil.

I want so badly to blow up that country. xD

I'm making a one shot where you get to.

What would chaotic evil look like?

atemu1234
2016-03-23, 08:14 PM

Barbaric lands that sack neighboring nations for resources and slaves, without internal hierarchy.

Coidzor
2016-03-23, 08:44 PM
If LE was your mission, mission accomplished.

I'm reminded of a wrinkle in time now.

An honor-based society of groups all jockeying for power that only cooperates when forced to by a temporary person on top of the heap before they get dragged down or when an external enemy presents itself.

Think Drow if they were more internally consistent and didn't have LOLth hampering them for her amusement.

Or an Ork Waugh, where the only hierarchy is size and strength and power.

tadkins
2016-03-23, 09:14 PM

I'm picturing a land inhabited by loose tribes headed by savage warlords. The only way to attain power in such a tribe is to kill the leader; a leader only remains in power by crushing those who attempt to usurp them.

Very dark and brutal type of place.

Hecuba
2016-03-23, 09:22 PM
An honor-based society

Depends on what you mean by "Honor." If you are going for chaos, Beowulf's Honor - one of personal might and valor - will be more on the mark than the (romantic) Arthurian image of duty and courtly virtue.

Coidzor
2016-03-23, 09:38 PM
Depends on what you mean by "Honor." If you are going for chaos, Beowulf's Honor - one of personal might and valor - will be more on the mark than the (romantic) Arthurian image of duty and courtly virtue.

Irish mythological honor, yeah. Also the kind that has a lot of killing someone for maiming your cousin because your cousin scarred their cousin because they beat your other cousin in an arm wrestling contest.

Or burning your daughter alive because she got raped, possibly along with the rapists. If you can get them.

Feuds. Feuds as far as the eye can see. Feudsalism.

Prime32
2016-03-23, 09:43 PM
An honor-based society of groups all jockeying for power that only cooperates when forced to by a temporary person on top of the heap before they get dragged down or when an external enemy presents itself.

Think Drow if they were more internally consistent and didn't have LOLth hampering them for her amusement.

Or an Ork Waugh, where the only hierarchy is size and strength and power.
I'm picturing a land inhabited by loose tribes headed by savage warlords. The only way to attain power in such a tribe is to kill the leader; a leader only remains in power by crushing those who attempt to usurp them.

Very dark and brutal type of place.A chaotic good society could potentially be much the same, except that the fights aren't to the death, and people only challenge the leader out of objection to their policies (or they hold regular tournaments to determine the leader).

tadkins
2016-03-23, 09:49 PM
A chaotic good society could potentially be much the same, except that the fights aren't to the death, and people only challenge the leader out of objection to their policies (or they hold regular tournaments to determine the leader).

A Chaotic Good society I would picture to be something of a democracy. Very limited government and laws, because some level of structure is needed, but one that generally allows the freedom for people to do what they want. They would only intervene if people use that freedom to harm others.

Gildedragon
2016-03-24, 02:52 AM

Similar. But with a few tweaks
a) every law and system exempts the elites from punishment. Laws, as they are, are heavily biased and unequally applied
b) every system is corrupt, from the streets to the courts to the higher ranks. Any act requieres a bribe or a favor, even legal ones, otherwise the clerks or cops or whichever gatekeeper exists will block you.

Gildedragon
2016-03-24, 02:55 AM
A Chaotic Good society I would picture to be something of a democracy. Very limited government and laws, because some level of structure is needed, but one that generally allows the freedom for people to do what they want. They would only intervene if people use that freedom to harm others.

A CG society could also be a colectivist one with a gift-economy or other system that strongly favors reciprocity and selflessness.