PDA

View Full Version : DM Help An army of Warforged

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-24, 09:19 AM
I saw in a recent thread that the playground helped out another person requesting help with creating some NPCs, and I have a very similar need, so I thought I might as well ask.

I have until April 3rd to create an army of Warforged to oppose my players. I work a lot and have very little time to create stat blocks for miscellaneous NPCs. I have some of them made already but here is a list of what I still need to have created.

300 Infantry - level 5 Fighters or Barbarians
200 Archers - level 5 Fighters
100 Artillery - level 7 Wizards
50 Heavy Artillery - level 9 Wizards
100 Scouts - level 5 Rogues
20 Elite Scouts - level 7 Rogues

No setting specific sources allowed other than Eberron material, and use the elite array for stats (15/14/13/12/10/8). Alternate Warforged, such as the Warforged Scout, are encouraged. Prestige classes and multi-classing are fine so long as it fits the theme.

I don't mind having several different stat blocks for each type of enemy. I'll mix and match a lot for the upcoming encounters.

Gildedragon
2016-03-24, 12:37 PM
I'd toss in a couple artificers and have some artillery or reinforcements with adept or magewright levels doing healing and buffing with eternal wands and minor schemas
I'll figure out some of the infantry as soon as I get home
Also maybe a cavalry division?
Overall I figure the infantry ought gun for as many construct immunities as possible with the mages using that to not worry about friendly fire

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-24, 02:25 PM
Those are great suggestions. I already had some Artificers made up with repair wands and some other lower level NPC classes, but I didn't even think about a cavalry or Adept class.

Edit: and thank you for assisting. I really appreciate it!

PallentisLunam
2016-03-24, 02:33 PM
Standard NPC wealth for everybody, or are they being bankrolled by somebody with deep pockets/totally impoverished?

I'm thinking of building something like the old Verlorene Haufe battalions. Adamantine body, Fullblades (or greatswords if I can't get those), Powerful Charge, ect.
I would suggest sorcerers instead of wizards for artillery, more spells per day and if they really are artillery then they don't need the flexibility of a wizard.

Godskook
2016-03-24, 02:43 PM
This is a level 6 ex-NPC of mine. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=265125) The fluff I had for them was that they're warforged that were genetically engineered with draconic blood. This drove them angry(barbarian). They were eventually taught basic Incarnum because it was appropriate, and then taught psionics to give them discipline.

I used 2 free flaws at first level for the construction, and I'm not sure if I used NPC or PC WBL, but I think that's the only questionable stuff by RAW.

Gildedragon
2016-03-24, 02:47 PM
For flavor and effect some of the artillery might be trained in war spells, allowing them to cast large blanketing magics.
Mass create darksand can be excellent

Aegis013
2016-03-24, 03:04 PM
You can massively improve your army with only a handful of Bards (2 should be sufficient) playing something like War Drums to Inspire Courage and provide Dragonfire Inspiration (may require Dragontouched feat as well).

Unless I'm misremembering, living constructs should still be affected by morale bonuses, so with even only 3 levels of Bard, you can use the Inspirational Boost spell and give all of your army +2 to hit, and +2 damage with an extra 2d6 fire damage. At level 5, these boosts are pretty substantial. For a few thousand gps from the army's war chest, you can incoporate Badges of Valor on your two bards and have +3 to hit/damage and 3d6 bonus fire damage.

Campbellk8105
2016-03-24, 03:06 PM
What level is your group and what optimization level are they at?

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-24, 03:21 PM
Standard NPC wealth for everybody, or are they being bankrolled by somebody with deep pockets/totally impoverished?

I'm thinking of building something like the old Verlorene Haufe battalions. Adamantine body, Fullblades (or greatswords if I can't get those), Powerful Charge, ect.
I would suggest sorcerers instead of wizards for artillery, more spells per day and if they really are artillery then they don't need the flexibility of a wizard.

This is one of the armies that follows the Lord of Blades in my campaign. I'd like to keep them at standard NPC wealth.

What level is your group and what optimization level are they at?

Level 14 Gestalt. Pretty high op level. These are intended to be mooks that will drain resources, and pose a challenge in large numbers.

Edit for clarity: PCs and important NPCs get to be gestalt. These guys do not.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-24, 03:59 PM
This is one of the armies that follows the Lord of Blades in my campaign. I'd like to keep them at standard NPC wealth.

Do they pay full price for items or will the artificers/magic-users craft at cost?

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-24, 04:28 PM
Do they pay full price for items or will the artificers/magic-users craft at cost?

That's not something I had considered. Go ahead and assume at cost.

Gildedragon
2016-03-24, 05:00 PM
Cavalry:
Warforged Chargers (Dragonborn, Wings Aspect)
(Assuming 5 class levels and not 5HD)

25 str, 11 dex, 24 con, 8 Int, 6 Wis, 2 Cha
Lion Totem Barbarian 1, Something BAB +1 1, Warforged Juggernaut 3

HD: 4d10 (Racial) + 4d12 + 1d?

These low int troops charge in, hit hard, and fall back to repeat next round.

Feats:
Adamantine Body (B)
Powerful Charge (B)
Power Attack
Improved Bull Rush
Powerful Charge (WfJug: retrain for something else?)

Immunties: healing spells, nonlethal damage , extra damage from critical hits, all mind-affecting spells and abilities (including morale effects, but remember immunity can be lowered, allowing bards to boost them), poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain

I'll calculate skillpoints and saves once I figure out what other class to stick in there.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-24, 05:43 PM
Warforged Verlorene Haufe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=759972)

Mad berserkers who charge into battle at the front of the line hoping for glory and expecting a brutal death. I'm actually feeling alittle bad about the poison. That might be kinda mean. :smallbiggrin:

Warforged Archers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=759975)

No fancy foreign name for these guys. They set up far away or fly over head, WAY out of range and rain arrows down on the party, mostly relying on RNG. Fire Breath added for the wow factor. Or maybe the "Oh **** How Can These Guys Breath Fire!?!" factor.

Warforged Sneaks (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=760135)

Potion of Invisibility to get into position then run around using Ghost Step and peppering the group with fist fulls of d6s

Ruethgar
2016-03-24, 06:07 PM
Guardian Infantry:
Warforged Bodyguard 1/Implacable Barbarian 1/Crusader 3

12 str, 16 dex, 16 con, 13 Int, 10 Wis, 6 Cha

HD: 4d10+1d12(43 avg)
AC: 20(10+5 mithral body+3 heavy shield+3 Dex-4 Reckless Offense+2 Combat Expertise+1 Cautious)

Feats:
Trait: Cautious
Flaw: Parry
Flaw: Mithral Body
First: Combat Reflexes
Bodyguard: Cover
Third: Stone Power
Retrain(profs): Improved Parry, Expert Parry, Combat Expertise, Protective Parry, Reckless Offense

They grant +7 to AC for all adjacent allies at the cost of -1 AC to themselves. Couple this with Iron Guard's Glare for more fun. They should probably also be taking that full -5 to hit if against PCs for a +10 temp HP/round. Their Rage can really save them with a +2 to AC(from Dex) and 1/- DR in addition to the +1 HP/lvl. They are meant to survive while a more offensive focused ally does the damage with a +8 to AC. They also burn up to 3 AoO per round to parry melee attacks against himself and allies. For the damage dealers, a typical 2H Power Attack should be fine.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-03-24, 06:28 PM
Warforged are great tanks. How about:

Warforged Soldier
Warforged barbarian 2/fighter 2/crusader 1
LN? Medium construct (living construct)
Init +1
AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16 (+1 dex, +6 armour)(-2 while below 10 hp)
HP 50 (5 HD, max on first HD), DR 2/-- while below 10 hp
Fort +12, Ref +3, Will +2 (fractional base save)(+2 while below 10 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Melee mwk dwarven warpike +7 (2d6+8 and 2 hp heal to ally within 30'/x3)(power attack for 2)
Melee while below 10 hp mwk dwarven warpike +9 (2d6+11 and 2 hp heal to ally within 30'/x3)(power attack for 2)
Base atk +5 Grp +8 (+10 while below 10 hp)
Atk options Battle Leader's Charge (no AoO charge, +10 damage)
Abilities 16 str (+1 increase)(20 while below 10 hp), 13 dex, 14+2=16 con, 10 int, 12-2=10 wis, 6 cha
Feats Mithral Body, Improved Trip (barbarian 2 bonus), Combat Reflexes (fighter 1 bonus), Knock-Down, Power Attack (fighter 2 bonus)
Skills 28 skill points, -2 ACP
Posessions 4300 gp total: mwk dwarven warpike (345 gp), +1 enhancement on plating (1000 gp), cloak of resistance +1 (1000 gp), oils of magic weapon, protection from evil etc. depending on what allies' buffs are present.

Barbarian: Berserker strength wolf totem barbarian. Whenever you go below 5*barb level = 10 health, you get +4 str, +2 on saves, DR 2/-, and -2 AC. Normally, that's pretty bad, but if these guys are going to be in long battles, the long duration really helps. You can add a flaw, for a homebrew bonus feat, that increases the threshold to 30 or something (that'd be ideal). Whirling frenzy lion totem is more charge-oriented, but slower on the battlefield.
Fighter: Exoticist fighter. Get proficiency with dwarven warpikes.
Crusader: For the stance and delayed damage, primarily. I understand you're not looking to use 300 maneuvers per turn, but the stance is worth it.

The general idea is that each soldier uses Martial Spirit (and Crusader's Strike) to heal targets at low health within 30', and a combination of Steely Resolve (also begging for a flaw+homebrew feat, to increase it to 10) and coordinated heals is used to maintain Berserker Strength at all times. They can charge using Battle Leader's Charge, avoiding AoOs and doing an extra 10 damage on hit. If you really want to make things complicated, you can use combinations of White Raven and Devoted Spirit maneuvers to set up really nice synergistic squads.

Note that berserker strength can be activated by your own initial artillery bombardment, if the enemy is not doing enough damage. It's not efficient, but it sure is intimidating.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-24, 06:50 PM
These are great you guys. Keep em coming. I'll be sure to link this thread to my players after this portion of the campaign is complete so they know who to credit for their woes. I especially like the one that grants +8 AC to allies. That will be a great pair with lots of things.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-24, 08:00 PM
So I've got one that is more of a tactic than a full write up:

Evoker 7
STR 12 DEX 13 CON 16 INT 16 WIS 8 CHA 6
HP 29
AC 12
Feats: Spell Focus (Evocation); Greater Spell Focus (Evocation); Enlarge Spell; Energy Substitution (Acid)
Spells/day: 4/6/5/4/2
Save DC (Evocation Spells +2):
1st-14
2nd-15
3rd-16
4th-17
Tactic:
Cast Chain of Eyes (SpC pg. 45) on a willing subject, allow them to sneak up on the party while the Wizard hides (or indeed hangs out in a heavily fortified bunker with an open window) within 1200 ft. Once the spotter has eyes on the party (thereby giving the wizard line of sight and line of effect to them), drop an Enlarged Acidic Fireball (7d6; Reflex Save DC 18) on them and then follow up with an Enlarged Chain Missile (SpC pg 45, 4d4+4 force damage to everybody in a 4 person party). Follow up with a few Enlarged Magic Missiles. At which point you may have to wait for the party to get all the way up to 600 ft away, at which point you may begin pelting them with more Acidic Fireballs.

Also prepared: Greater Mage Armor, Repair Light Damage, Repair Moderate Damage, Fly, Expeditious Retread, & Shield

Add scrolls ad nauseam.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-28, 02:48 PM
Sorry to double post but are you still looking for more variety or do you have what you want?

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-28, 03:59 PM
More variety is always nice. No one took up the level 9 heavy artillery either. Anything left undone I will create myself.

I appreciate all the responses so far, thank you everyone.

Gildedragon
2016-03-28, 06:57 PM
Writing up some artillery:

Psiforged Erudites
Why psi and erudite: Psi has no ASF (which warforged's default plating gives) and Int is the one mental stat warforged don't penalize. The psicrystal also works as a healer for the 'forged army as it shares their master's craft skill.
Going Spell to Power on the erudite so as to keep the possible battlefield control abilities as wide as possible.
If you want them to be scarier, add dragonborn to them (+2 con, -2 dex) and they can fly from a distance beyond the battlefield.

Build So Far:

Abilities:
Str 10 (+0) Dex 12 (+1) Con 15 (+2)
Int 17 (+3) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 6 (-2)

Feats and Class Features:
1: Psiforged
1: Convert Spell To Power
1: Psycrystal Affinity

3: Iron Will*

5: <Metapsionic Feat> OR (if you accept erudites as a psion variant: Telepathic Communication)

6: Great Fortitude*

9: War Spell*

*I wouldn't gear up every one of the ammunition corps with the war-spell feat. Maybe just one or two. The rest probably would best be suited with lots of metapsionic powers in those slots.

Skill Points: 54 skill points
Concentration: 12
Psicraft: 12
Spellcraft: 12
Craft (Gemcutting/Scultpture/Armorsmithing/Blacksmithing): 12**
Craft Poisonmaking: 6**
**Maybe swap these values around

Powers:
I'm going to give 5 I can see being used in battle and a few others that may be of use

Out of Battle (Pre battle)
Psionic minor creation
-generating poisons for the warriors to coat their weapons with and vials of inhaled poisons to be lobbed or dropped into the battlefield. Your psicrystal will help you hit high DC poisons. Greensickness would be particularly vile to drop on the human hordes.

Quintessence
-to store the poison long term/until needed

In Battle: How much cheese do you want?
Trapsmith War Haste would be great (5pp to manifest, affect 25 warforged per manifester level) despite its long casting time (1 min)
ditto for War sickening clouds; blanketing the area in thick effects that protect the warforged but hinder the humans would be tactically sound

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-28, 07:33 PM
Writing up some artillery:

Psiforged Erudites
Why psi and erudite: Psi has no ASF (which warforged's default plating gives) and Int is the one mental stat warforged don't penalize. The psicrystal also works as a healer for the 'forged army as it shares their master's craft skill.
Going Spell to Power on the erudite so as to keep the possible battlefield control abilities as wide as possible.
If you want them to be scarier, add dragonborn to them (+2 con, -2 dex) and they can fly from a distance beyond the battlefield.

Where is Erudite found anyway? My familiarity with Psionics is very limited. I've used Psions here and there but that's about it.

In Battle: How much cheese do you want?

Everyone has a different definition of what is acceptable cheese. I say cheese it up and I'll decide what's too much and make any on the fly adjustments I need.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-28, 09:56 PM
Another archer build using crossbows this time. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=764749) I didn't really know what to do with the extra cash for this one.

These guys (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=764748), I'm not sure if I would enter them under the scouts or the infantry but they're built to never stop bouncing between the characters and to always have a partner to flank with.

Gildedragon
2016-03-28, 10:04 PM
Where is Erudite found anyway? My familiarity with Psionics is very limited. I've used Psions here and there but that's about it.
Complete Psionic
the CStP are here
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060406b&page=1

Everyone has a different definition of what is acceptable cheese. I say cheese it up and I'll decide what's too much and make any on the fly adjustments I need.
Then definitively have some making Greensickness (Dungeonscape) barrels or canisters to be shot or catapulted at the fleshy ones. Give other in the artillery division craft Alchemy instead of craft Poison. Make alchemist's fire, lots.

For War Spell (note that warspells take 1 minute to cast) folk:

1: a)Entangling Ectoplasm
b)Psionic Grease
c) Control Fire (this is why you want barrels of alchemical fire)
d) Wall of Smoke
e)

alt)
alt)

2: a) War Haste
b) War Ray of Enfeeblement (hit 25 people)
c) Control Sound (those urns of inhaled poisons, and alchemical fire you have set up around the battlefield, make them explode)
d) War Treacherous Weapon
e) Arcane Turmoil

alt) Ray of Stupidity
alt) Seeking Ray

3: a)War Stolen Breath (steal a turn from your enemies or have them sickened for a minute... with the cavalry charging in)
b) Mass, Curse of Impending Blades
c) War Gliterdust (Blind the enemy!)
d) Sleet Storm
e) Blacklight

alt) Phantasmal Strangler
alt) Psionic Glyph of Warding
alt) Time Hop

4: a) War Dispel Magic (a 60' radius burst, with long range), b)War Ray of Exhaustion
c)Cone of Fear
d)Enervation
e)Greater Invisibility

alt:
alt:

5:

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-03, 09:42 PM
I just want to give everyone a quick update. I got to use some of these in our game today. It was quite fun for all involved. They loved the variety and unique challenge each encounter provided. I am kind of sad our game was a short one and we won't be playing again for 2 weeks but I look forward to giving them hell once again with your creations!

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-04, 10:45 AM
I just want to point out that ASF is not an issue for erudites, and Psiforged doesn't do anything in that regard. Psionics do not have material or somatic components, so ASF can't affect powers. I would definitely go with Adamantine Plating, or a blasting feat, instead.

Gildedragon
2016-04-04, 12:22 PM
I just want to give everyone a quick update. I got to use some of these in our game today. It was quite fun for all involved. They loved the variety and unique challenge each encounter provided. I am kind of sad our game was a short one and we won't be playing again for 2 weeks but I look forward to giving them hell once again with your creations!
Did they find some vats of greensickness or other inhaled poisons?

Gildedragon
2016-04-04, 12:24 PM
I just want to point out that ASF is not an issue for erudites, and Psiforged doesn't do anything in that regard. Psionics do not have material or somatic components, so ASF can't affect powers. I would definitely go with Adamantine Plating, or a blasting feat, instead.

Which is why the artillery was made psionic instead of arcane. Psiforged body at lvl 1 is to give them a nice big boost of pp for the battle.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-04, 02:18 PM
Did they find some vats of greensickness or other inhaled poisons?

They would find a way to exploit that rather quickly lol

Edit: I did not get the chance to use that particular enemy just yet either. We'll see how that goes down next time.

Gildedragon
2016-04-04, 02:32 PM
They would find a way to exploit that rather quickly lol

Edit: I did not get the chance to use that particular enemy just yet either. We'll see how that goes down next time.

Don't count on that. A: warforged will break the urns (either by lobbing them or shattering them with a spell) B: if they check What's in the urns they release the poison C: poison is created by a power, it will cease to exist after some time (hence the quintessence storage for transport)