PDA

View Full Version : Are there any rules for throwing people after you Grapple them?

Zephonim
2016-03-24, 09:21 AM
I'd like to fling people off cliffs or into their allies are there any rules to support this?

fishyfishyfishy
2016-03-24, 09:26 AM
There are maneuvers in the Tomb of Battle that do this specifically. Otherwise you probably need to ask your DM for how to handle it. As a DM I would make it so that the person to be thrown has to first be pinned by the grappler, and allow them to throw them with an attack roll -using the improvised weapon rules- after succeeding on the pin. This would obviously take multiple turns if they don't have multiple attacks, but that seems fair to me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I would also make sure to check that the character being thrown fits within the lift weight of the character doing the throwing. If they're too heavy to move then they don't even get to try.

Telonius
2016-03-24, 09:29 AM
There are a couple of different ways to achieve that sort of effect. The Setting Sun school from Tome of Battle is probably the cleanest way to get exactly what you want. Improved Bull Rush, the Knockback feat from Races of Stone, and the "Dungeoncrasher" variant Fighter from Dungeonscape could also factor in if you don't have access to Tome of Battle. They're not exactly Grapple-related, more like "slam the dude into the wall."

EDIT: The Shock Trooper feat from Complete Warrior is most famous for its Heedless Charge ability, but it also has the "Domino Rush" ability that lets you Bull Rush an opponent into another opponent, possibly knocking them both down.

Doctor Despair
2016-03-24, 09:32 AM
DMs I've played with in the past have asked for either strength checks or opposed strength checks depending on what point I was in the grapple.

Zephonim
2016-03-24, 09:42 AM
There are maneuvers in the Tomb of Battle that do this specifically. Otherwise you probably need to ask your DM for how to handle it. As a DM I would make it so that the person to be thrown has to first be pinned by the grappler, and allow them to throw them with an attack roll -using the improvised weapon rules- after succeeding on the pin. This would obviously take multiple turns if they don't have multiple attacks, but that seems fair to me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I would also make sure to check that the character being thrown fits within the lift weight of the character doing the throwing. If they're too heavy to move then they don't even get to try.

Strength will not be a problem. I am a Master of Many Forms I'll be using Dusk Giant or War Troll forms

30 strength is just wonderful

Necroticplague
2016-03-24, 09:50 AM
The Fling Enemy feat does exactly this, and its even designed to be used by various giants. Races of stone.

MilleniaAntares
2016-03-24, 09:50 AM
For PF, the Ki Throw feat is relevant, as are the feats further in its chain.

Troacctid
2016-03-24, 09:51 AM
Flinging people off cliffs requires you to grapple and pin them, then make a grapple check and a Strength check.

If a creature manages to grapple a foe and pin her, the creature can then move near edge of a precipice and drop or throw the pinned creature over the side. Doing so requires a successful grapple check, followed by a DC 15 Strength check. Succeeding on the grapple check but failing the Strength check means the creature retains hold of the grappled opponent, but she is no longer pinned and does not go over the side. Failure on the grapple check means the opponent is still pinned but doesn’t go over the side.

Zephonim
2016-03-24, 10:09 AM
The Fling Enemy feat does exactly this, and its even designed to be used by various giants. Races of stone.

Thanks this one will probably work best once I get Huge sized Wildshape

daremetoidareyo
2016-03-24, 10:36 AM
Here an enemy flinger: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18951763&postcount=15

Psyren
2016-03-24, 10:50 AM
Flinging people off cliffs requires you to grapple and pin them, then make a grapple check and a Strength check.

Wait, what? Failing the grapple check means they're still pinned, but succeeding at it reduces it to grappled? Isn't pinned worse than grappled? And why is the strength check static, does that mean it's just as easy to drop an ogre off a cliff as it is an elf? Just, what? :smallconfused:

Ashtagon
2016-03-24, 11:34 AM
Keeping strictly to core, this is probably best played out as a bull rush special attack.

Since you would already be in the other guy's space, you don't provoke an AoO for entering his space.

Next, it's an opposed Strength check, modified for size class. No one is charging in this scenario, so no bonus for that.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-24, 11:54 AM
Here you go: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478226-One-Bull-Rush-Man

Read through the thread to make sure you have all the info.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-24, 12:12 PM
What about hulking hurler? IIRC, the limits on what you can throw depend on weight. If you've already got them via grapple, I think a reasonable DM would allow you to throw them.-

ben-zayb
2016-03-24, 07:27 PM
I could've sworn I've already read a thread or more that has commoners, pigs, and/or gnomes as improvised thrown weapons.

stack
2016-03-24, 07:46 PM
Pathfinder has the reposition combat maneuver, but you need a feat to put them anywhere dangerous. Because everything requires six feats apparently.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-24, 07:49 PM
Pathfinder has the reposition combat maneuver, but you need a feat to put them anywhere dangerous. Because everything requires six feats apparently.They give 30% more feats than in 3.5, so they require 500% as many feats to accomplish what you could do in 3.5.

Unless you're a spellcaster, of course.

Seems totally legit to me.

2016-03-24, 08:17 PM
They give 30% more feats than in 3.5, so they require 500% as many feats to accomplish what you could do in 3.5.

Unless you're a spellcaster, of course.

Seems totally legit to me.

It's almost like Pathfinder didn't really solve any of the more problematic parts of 3.5 when they copy-pasted everything over.

druid91
2016-03-24, 08:23 PM
For all their OP nonsense, I rather liked Frank and K's tomes. With their rule that you get one normal feat a level and an 'awesome' feat at the same rate of feats as in normal games.

Zephonim
2016-03-24, 08:47 PM
It's almost like Pathfinder didn't really solve any of the more problematic parts of 3.5 when they copy-pasted everything over.

I suppose they at least nerfed Polymorph

Psyren
2016-03-25, 12:55 PM
Pathfinder has the reposition combat maneuver, but you need a feat to put them anywhere dangerous. Because everything requires six feats apparently.

Reposition is used to let you move people without grappling them. You don't need to use it if you're grappling them - with the grapple rules, you can simply put them somewhere dangerous (remember, PF grapple doesn't force you to share their square, they stay adjacent) and all they get is a +4 chance to break free. If that fails, bombs away.

Other than toning down nearly every core spell, fixing magic item creation, fixing alchemy, abolishing level drain tricks, fixing infinite wealth, vastly improving monsters as PCs, streamlining special attacks in combat, making all schools of magic competitive, and making the entire game available for free - yeah, aside from all that, they didn't do a damn thing! :smalltongue: