PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A Little Bit of Cheese for the Beastmaster?

xroads
2016-03-24, 10:12 AM
According to the PHB, a wolf has...

Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the wolf’s allies is within 5 feet of the creature and isn't incapacitated.

If the wolf has a rider (ex. Halfling Beastmaster :belkar:), would the wolf have advantage on all of his melee attacks?

Inevitability
2016-03-24, 11:17 AM
Unless you purchase a ridiculously high saddle, yes it would.

Shining Wrath
2016-03-24, 11:21 AM
Yes. Also if the wolf has a non-rider companion who keeps the wolf by her side in combat, i.e., a front line fighter rather than an archer. The ability to function as 10' x 5' creature that moves together can have its moments.

Mors
2016-03-25, 10:32 AM
Or you can achieve the same with the beast bond spell and any animal. However it does need concentration so it competes with Hunter's Mark, and according to lvl and build it may or may not be better to use BB instead of HM. It is definately going to outclass HM at 11 lvl if you are going to use Bestial Fury, which you probably should. Check this topic though for more info.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?476182-Guide-Small-size-Beastmaster

CoggieRagabash
2016-03-25, 11:23 AM
Druids can utilize this as well! When our campaign did a brief prequel story and I played a moon druid, I decided to avoid the brown bear cheese at level two and instead favored dire wolf and teamed up with the dwarf barbarian on the team.

My speed shuttled him all over the field where his short legs couldn't get him. He gave me sweet, sweet advantage. It was a pretty great time, all told.