PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Magic blooded versus muggle mages

tsj
2016-03-24, 02:22 PM
This house rule states the following. ..

Wizards are muggles that learn magic by studying it.

While Sorcerors are magic blooded
that do not need to study hard or have a high
intelligence to learn magic.

Sorcerors are 100% as wizards except
that they use charisma instead of intelligence.

For spontaneous casting use this variant:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spontaneous_Wizard_(3.5e_Alternate_Class_Feature)

Or this

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6797.0

All wizards and sorcerors can use any wizard variants, arch types, substitution levels etc since sorcerors and sorceresses are considered to be wizards

Wizards and sorcerors both qualify for
Dragon blood and related sorcerors heritage feats etc

noob
2016-03-24, 02:52 PM
What if I had a wizard that never had any form of taint of dragon blood in his whole family tree starting from the creation of his race.(like dwarf wizards in some settings) are they able to take dragon blood feats even if it does not have any sense.
And why take would anybody take that acf when there is uncanny forethrought and spontaneous divination acf(combining both is nearly always better)

johnbragg
2016-03-24, 03:02 PM
I love the fluff of magic-user blood having crunch effects. I think having charisma-based wizards, or Int-based sorcerers is balanced.

I'm not 100% sure about the D&D wiki spontaneous arcane caster. It's a bit fiddly--I think you could just go with "Wizard using CHA instead of INT" or "Sorcerer using INT instead of CHA".

I'd like to brainstorm other ways to do it. Free feats: Magical Aptitude? Skill Focus: Spellcraft? Collegiate Wizard?

Collegiate Wizard makes a lot of sense, actually. Maybe balance that with muggle-born wizards getting the Commoner class skills as class skills?

That's a less extreme version of the fluff idea.

tsj
2016-03-25, 01:12 AM
I love the fluff of magic-user blood having crunch effects. I think having charisma-based wizards, or Int-based sorcerers is balanced.

I'm not 100% sure about the D&D wiki spontaneous arcane caster. It's a bit fiddly--I think you could just go with "Wizard using CHA instead of INT" or "Sorcerer using INT instead of CHA".

I'd like to brainstorm other ways to do it. Free feats: Magical Aptitude? Skill Focus: Spellcraft? Collegiate Wizard?

Collegiate Wizard makes a lot of sense, actually. Maybe balance that with muggle-born wizards getting the Commoner class skills as class skills?

That's a less extreme version of the fluff idea.
I like it.

Noob: well then your pc or npc could be fluffed to have some other heritage that allows you to take refluffed dragon stuff
Or
A Muggle could have been blessed by a draconian deity thus allowing him to be become half Muggle half magic blooded thus
Still needing int for spells but qualifying for dragon blood stuff

People who really really wants to cast spontaneous arcane spells would most likely take the acfs

My main concept is to make sorcerer and wizard 2 sides of the same coin

So my concept is that it's the same class (wizard) except wizard uses int and sorcerers use cha

The spontaneous sorcerer does not exist in this concept

To gain spontaneous casting the wizard or sorcerer must work within the limits of the wizard class

I remember reading about strength based wizards at one point?

But yes...

The following wizard variants could work:

College wizard (muggle) :
As wizard but with commoner class skills instead of
Wizard class skills

Natural wizard (pure blood):
As wizard but uses charisma instead of intelligence

In this setting the college is only for
muggle born

Or second class wizards as the pure bloods call them...
Muggles need to study hard in order to master
arcane magic...

Slightly different from Harry Potter since in Harry Potter both muggle and magic blooded both attend the
magic school...

The pure blood wizards have magic blood and therefore
they automatically learns new magic at the same
rate as college wizards... however they sometimes
meditate in order to control the power of their
magical blood

Pure bloods look down upon college wizards and
College wizards believe that the so called
Pure bloods have taint in their blood and that
they can't control it

In this setting anyone playing a wizard must select either muggle or magic blooded before adding
additional (non conflicting) acfs

I see no reason why a wizard can't have multiple acfs as long as they do not interfere or conflict with each other