PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept Help!

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 02:31 PM
So a couple of friends and I are working on making new characters for an up coming game. I have a general idea I have been working on, but can't decide between two builds, and level progression.

As of now we have a Half-Orc Barb, and a Dwaft Cleric, and since there is only three of us, I want to pick up a few skills as well as being useful to the group.

My idea of to play a Halfling Archer; starting at level 7. Normal gold progression for the level, so some decent gear is implied.

Now I am stuck between how to Multi-class what I want. And my question is which everyone thinks is a better, and more potentially enjoyable route.

Build one - My first idea was to run a beast master/arcane trickster; riding my giant weasel into combat and firing attacks from hidden distance. Thought being the weasel fixs my move speed problem, it has a hide check; so I would assume it could hide with me. And the trickster would continue my spell progession; don't know how that would work off hand, giving me higher level spell options, and some neat tricks. Figured a 7BM/13AT would work for levels; starting level 7 with 5 in BM and 2 Rogue.

Build two - More complicated would be going Battle Master/Hunter/Assassin with the bow. I would lose my pet, but would increase my combat capability with the Battle Manuvers and hunter skills. The Assassin would be to increase range damage output with sneak attacks, and if I got an ambush I could pop some serious damage off. I would say 3 levels in Battle Master for the skills, but possible to level 7 to get the 2 stat bumps and the id enemy skill. Hunter could get to level 3 and be ok just to get collsal slayer. And the rest in Rogue for sneak attack and skills.

I am open to other ideas as well, this is just want I came up with. As I now, I know its not as strong, but I am leaning towards the first. Seems a bit simpler and also really funny to picture a small Halfling riding a giant white weasel in combat.

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-24, 02:39 PM
As of now we have a Half-Orc Barb, and a Dwaft Cleric, and since there is only three of us,

My idea of to play a Halfling Archer; starting at level 7. Normal gold progression for the level, so some decent gear is implied. Now I am stuck between how to Multi-class what I want.

Build one - My first idea was to run a beast master/arcane trickster; riding my giant weasel into combat and firing attacks from hidden distance. Thought being the weasel fixs my move speed problem, it has a hide check; so I would assume it could hide with me. And the trickster would continue my spell progession; don't know how that would work off hand, giving me higher level spell options, and some neat tricks. Figured a 7BM/13AT would work for levels; starting level 7 with 5 in BM and 2 Rogue.

Seems a bit simpler and also really funny to picture a small Halfling riding a giant white weasel in combat. I'd recommend the beastmaster/trickster combo, and the giant weasel mount has much coolness. That kit looks like a nice plug it to the two characters already in the mix.

Another idea would be Bard/Warlock mix, (5 bard 2 Warlock to start) to mix in some skill monkey, some blasty/caster combinations, and some face.

DaKiwiMonsta
2016-03-24, 03:26 PM
I'd recommend the beastmaster/trickster combo, and the giant weasel mount has much coolness.
That kit looks like a nice plug it to the two characters already in the mix.

I would have to agree, your party already has a barbarian to tank/do damage, and you can increase your utility by casting spells. As a rogue you also have good skill proficiencies, plus you've put a lot of thought into this giant weasel idea and I don't think you'd be satisfied if people told you to go with the second option (it's much less humour and enjoyment for everyone). Your damage will increase (sneak attack, etc) anyway over time as you level up, so don't worry about it.

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 04:02 PM
I would have to agree, your party already has a barbarian to tank/do damage, and you can increase your utility by casting spells. As a rogue you also have good skill proficiencies, plus you've put a lot of thought into this giant weasel idea and I don't think you'd be satisfied if people told you to go with the second option (it's much less humour and enjoyment for everyone). Your damage will increase (sneak attack, etc) anyway over time as you level up, so don't worry about it.

Personally I love the pet idea, ya the beast master feels clunky at times. But just always have that alley near. I also, since level 7, want him to be somewhat famous as a bounty hunter. But be almost like Vast, were because of his attitude and demeanor an size people never believe he is who he says he is. Figured it would be a cool concept of jumping on the back of my weasel and shotting, then pulling twin short swords in melee combat.

The other idea seems fun to though, to be able to trip attack and all from forever away. Then just hammer with sneak attacks and collasal strikes. Plus once prone get advantage for sharp shooter. That works right?

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 04:13 PM
I also can't find a spell list for the Arcane Trickster, so I really don't know how good there spells can be.

And I may consider picking up cross bow mastery, and two hand cross bows. That way if I get in melee I can still focus on archery and get the boast from the fighting style. And I have heard the most DMs will allow mage hand to reload, so no free hand needed to reload.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-24, 04:32 PM
I also can't find a spell list for the Arcane Trickster, so I really don't know how good there spells can be.

And I may consider picking up cross bow mastery, and two hand cross bows. That way if I get in melee I can still focus on archery and get the boast from the fighting style. And I have heard the most DMs will allow mage hand to reload, so no free hand needed to reload.

Arcane Tricksters use the Wizard's spell list (like the Eldritch Knight,) though for them, it's essentially limited to the Enchantment and Illusion spells from that list, with a splash of others here and there. Cuddlebot5000's rogue guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474974-A-Thousand-Lies-and-a-Good-Disguise-A-Rogue-Guide) has a list of suggested spells for an Arcane Trickster. Give it a look.

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 04:38 PM
Arcane Tricksters use the Wizard's spell list (like the Eldritch Knight,) though for them, it's essentially limited to the Enchantment and Illusion spells from that list, with a splash of others here and there. Cuddlebot5000's rogue guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474974-A-Thousand-Lies-and-a-Good-Disguise-A-Rogue-Guide) has a list of suggested spells for an Arcane Trickster. Give it a look.

Awesome, thank you!!!

I am not sure exactly how my spell slots will work though... I am having a hard time figuring out Multi-class spell casters, and arcane trickster I feel makes it more a pain.

Do I have like hunter levels, and trickster levels, and keep them separated. I am trying to figure out what my max sell slots and all will look like, so I can gage what to learn and get.

Celcey
2016-03-24, 04:50 PM
A couple things: first off, a BM/AT mix is going to be kind of mad if you want any decent spell casting, because you need both wis and int for casting.

Also, if you want skills and archery, I would recommend a valor bard. Less skills than lore, but still plenty plus you can easily be a spell slinging archer. A straight rouge is also excellent for this.

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 04:55 PM
A couple things: first off, a BM/AT mix is going to be kind of mad if you want any decent spell casting, because you need both wis and int for casting.

Also, if you want skills and archery, I would recommend a valor bard. Less skills than lore, but still plenty plus you can easily be a spell slinging archer. A straight rouge is also excellent for this.

I actually didn't think about that.... I mean I am not horrible concerned with it. I don't think Wis and Int are bad stats to have buffed up, since I'll have str as a dump, and Cha doesn't need to much. I am also planning on running primary archer, so con doesn't need to too much in it. And I was planning on /using most the Ranger spells for Hunters Mark, and Cure Wounds. May need to look it over agan though.

CaptAl
2016-03-24, 05:30 PM

Seconded. Valor Bard makes a solid archer, has the social skills to back up the "little guy who's scary", and brings a whole other level of utility that your party is missing (spot heals/buffing/debuffing). With just one of your Magical Secrets (at level 10) used for Aura of Vitality, and another on a ranger archer spell, you'll make your Barbarian damn near unkillable while being able to dole out decent at will damage.

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 07:16 PM
Seconded. Valor Bard makes a solid archer, has the social skills to back up the "little guy who's scary", and brings a whole other level of utility that your party is missing (spot heals/buffing/debuffing). With just one of your Magical Secrets (at level 10) used for Aura of Vitality, and another on a ranger archer spell, you'll make your Barbarian damn near unkillable while being able to dole out decent at will damage.

Ive thought about a bard before, but honestly I not a huge singing kinda guy. And I feel like I would be letting the class down if I wasn't singing songs and dropping lymrics through out the game. Maybe if I get a bit more confident in which way I would want to go with it.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-24, 07:21 PM
Ive thought about a bard before, but honestly I not a huge singing kinda guy. And I feel like I would be letting the class down if I wasn't singing songs and dropping lymrics through out the game. Maybe if I get a bit more confident in which way I would want to go with it.

The instruments of your music are the sound of weapons clashing and the lyrics are the screams of your enemies as they fall.

CaptAl
2016-03-24, 07:24 PM

The classic Valor Bard is a 6ft 5in tall blonde man with rippling muscles pounding out a rhythm on his shield with his warhammer (Nordic Skald). Take a look at the Marine Corp band and tell me if you want to get in a scuffle with those men and women. You don't have to be a pansy to rock out.

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 07:25 PM
The instruments of your music are the sound of weapons clashing and the lyrics are the screams of your enemies as they fall.

That is kinda metal.... Maybe. I have considered one before.... Ill have to be sure what my other two are playing. The cleric is still iffy.

RickAllison
2016-03-24, 07:45 PM
Remember that bards don't have to make music to cast spells, they can use components same as anyone else. I kind of like the Dashing Swordsman-type who activates his spells with wise-cracking banter :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, Valor Bard 10 lets you get Extra Attack and the best spells for archery (like Swift Quiver) off the Ranger list. Three levels of Battlemaster gets you trick shots on top of what you already had (and BM 5/Lore Bard 10 gives you the same spells and Extra Attack of Valor while being more versatile, if taking much longer to develop) or you can grab Rogue levels for more versatility and maneuverability (Swashbuckler, for instance, would give you the option to make melee attacks with your fist that, even if they miss, still let you get away to release more arrows.

If UA is allowed, Eldritch Knight could be combined with six levels of Artificer to give you restockable magic arrows and more spell slots to work with, as well as 1d4 hours of concentration-free Enlarge to boost your damage further at the cost of a first-level slot.

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 08:21 PM
Remember that bards don't have to make music to cast spells, they can use components same as anyone else. I kind of like the Dashing Swordsman-type who activates his spells with wise-cracking banter :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, Valor Bard 10 lets you get Extra Attack and the best spells for archery (like Swift Quiver) off the Ranger list. Three levels of Battlemaster gets you trick shots on top of what you already had (and BM 5/Lore Bard 10 gives you the same spells and Extra Attack of Valor while being more versatile, if taking much longer to develop) or you can grab Rogue levels for more versatility and maneuverability (Swashbuckler, for instance, would give you the option to make melee attacks with your fist that, even if they miss, still let you get away to release more arrows.

If UA is allowed, Eldritch Knight could be combined with six levels of Artificer to give you restockable magic arrows and more spell slots to work with, as well as 1d4 hours of concentration-free Enlarge to boost your damage further at the cost of a first-level slot.

The other thing is I really am feeling the weasel riding concept; I have a decent story for it, and think it would just be funny going in to a town on weasel back. I gotta decide background, was thinking folk hero and bounty hunter.

SMac8988
2016-03-24, 09:24 PM
Cleric decided he is playing a bard. Lol

JumboWheat01
2016-03-24, 10:18 PM
Cleric decided he is playing a bard. Lol

Some people are just born to rock. Whether that be with an instrument, their voice, or through the reverberation of cracking someone's skull. It's a hard lure to resist, what with Bards being full casters this edition, combined with Valor Bard, they are great gishes without any real extra effort needed. And on the other hand, Lore Bards are versatile skill monkeys bar none (a whopping 8 to 10 skills your proficient with without feats,) and probably one of the better enchanters or illusionists.

RickAllison
2016-03-24, 10:39 PM
Some people are just born to rock. Whether that be with an instrument, their voice, or through the reverberation of cracking someone's skull. It's a hard lure to resist, what with Bards being full casters this edition, combined with Valor Bard, they are great gishes without any real extra effort needed. And on the other hand, Lore Bards are versatile skill monkeys bar none (a whopping 8 to 10 skills your proficient with without feats,) and probably one of the better enchanters or illusionists.

And don't forget that between Glibness and Jack of All Trades, Bards can actually guarantee successful Counterspells. Glibness ensures the minimum roll on the ability check is 15, while even before then they also get half the proficiency bonus added the rest of the time anyway (which is only beat by Abjuration Wizards).

Ewhit
2016-03-24, 11:23 PM
I like your beastmaster concept seems fun but check with your dm first to see how he is with pets in game.

1. How he handles it in a town setting. It's not a horse.
2. Dungeon crawl. Is it going up and Dow dungeon corridors with group. What if insert here. Climbing jumping flying falling swimming
3. Target for attacks it may die
4. If you ride it and hide can it hide is it equal or better or worse fir hiding

bid
2016-03-24, 11:59 PM
Awesome, thank you!!!

I am not sure exactly how my spell slots will work though... I am having a hard time figuring out Multi-class spell casters, and arcane trickster I feel makes it more a pain.

Do I have like hunter levels, and trickster levels, and keep them separated. I am trying to figure out what my max sell slots and all will look like, so I can gage what to learn and get.
Spells you know:
- you are ranger 5, they have 2nd slots. That's what you can learn from the ranger spell list.
- you are AT 4, they have 1st slots. That's what you can learn from the wizard spell list.

Slot you have:
- you are ranger 5, half of that is 2 caster level (round down).
- you are AT 4, a third of that is 1 caster level (round down).
You have the slots of a level 3 caster.

SMac8988
2016-03-25, 12:10 AM
Spells you know:
- you are ranger 5, they have 2nd slots. That's what you can learn from the ranger spell list.
- you are AT 4, they have 1st slots. That's what you can learn from the wizard spell list.

Slot you have:

Omg thank you so much. So as make level, 7 ranger 13 rogue, ill have 3 from ranger and 4 from trickster. So level 7.spell caster?

bid
2016-03-25, 12:16 AM
Omg thank you so much. So as make level, 7 ranger 13 rogue, ill have 3 from ranger and 4 from trickster. So level 7.spell caster?
Sounds about right.

That means an orphan 4th slot which will need upcast love. :smallwink:

EvilAnagram
2016-03-25, 12:22 AM
I actually didn't think about that.... I mean I am not horrible concerned with it. I don't think Wis and Int are bad stats to have buffed up, since I'll have str as a dump, and Cha doesn't need to much. I am also planning on running primary archer, so con doesn't need to too much in it. And I was planning on /using most the Ranger spells for Hunters Mark, and Cure Wounds. May need to look it over agan though.

I wouldn't worry terribly much about this. You can tailor your Wizard spells not to rely overmuch on your Int (Invisibility and Shield, for example).

Drackolus
2016-03-25, 12:28 AM
Slot you have:

So, before I go on, I'll preface this: by the multiclass rules in the phb, a paladin 5/ranger 5 would cast as a 5th level caster, because you add up the paladin and ranger and THEN round down. However, if you mix a half and a third progression caster, you round down and THEN add. Personally, I think that's a silly and inconsistent way to do it, so I think it would be reasonable to ask the DM if you could total all parts and round at the end. Thus, if the ranger/AT took another level of AT:

- Ranger 5 = (5/2=2.5)
- AT 5 (5/3 = 1.66)
totalled up (2.5+1.66=4.16)
Rounded down (4.16=4)

Whereas, by the rules in the phb, you'd get 2 from ranger and 1 from AT.

I sort of feel it was worded that way to prevent players from having to do basic math. Which is somewhat insulting, actually.

SMac8988
2016-03-25, 04:38 AM
I wouldn't worry terribly much about this. You can tailor your Wizard spells not to rely overmuch on your Int (Invisibility and Shield, for example).

That was going to be my plan for both, focus in Hunters mark, pass without a trace, stuff like that.

Anyone have any spell suggestions for both classes? I normally don't run casters, so new to this....

EvilAnagram
2016-03-25, 06:23 AM
That was going to be my plan for both, focus in Hunters mark, pass without a trace, stuff like that.

Anyone have any spell suggestions for both classes? I normally don't run casters, so new to this....
I have a Ranger's guide and Fighter's guide in my signature that cover the spells you'll be able to pick from. Just keep in mind that Rangers have some pretty nasty spells that require a decent Wis (16+), and you'll have to put a bit in Wis anyways to multiclass.

That said, Hunter's Mark, Spike Growth, Fog Cloud, Cure Wounds, Beast Bond, Absorb Elements all are fine without Wis.

Citan
2016-03-25, 07:05 AM

While Valor Bard could indeed be a nice alternative, the problem you speak of does not really exist.
There are plenty good spells in Ranger and Rogue spelllist that don't rely at all on spellcasting stat.

So you could in fact dump both INT (hard) and WIS (down to multiclass requirement) without much problem.
In fact, it could even be a good choice: just pick non-concentration & concentration buffs and utilities. With such a dump you can up DEX and Constitution to good levels, helping to keep concentration.
With that said, if you stay at range concentration saves should not be as a priority as it would be for a melee AT.

@OP
So keep your BM/AT build idea which is great, as for stat distribution the safestbet is probably to keep Wis at a decent level (for spells such as Ensnaring Strike and wisdom spells) and just dump INT which is not even needed for multiclass nor for using good AT spells (Mirror Image, Blur, Haste, etc).

Indeed. Notice that there is a net loss compared to Ranger 8 / Rogue 12: one ASI and one spell level.

Besides that...
With 7 / 13 repartition, you get AT's archetype feature so you can distract a creature with Mage Hand as a bonus action...
Well, with a beast in play, I'd say it's nearly useless since the beast is enough to enable SA and you have many things to do with bonus action already.

You can also learn great spells AT lvl 3 spells such as Haste or Fly. But both are concentration spells, and Ranger also gets many interesting spells lvl 3 spells that require concentration.
Action-economy wise, you could easily say that Conjure Animals trumps Haste. Damage-wise, you get Conjure Barrage, Flame Arrows or Lightning Arrow.

So if you don't mind having one less ASI anyways, I would suggest rather Ranger 9 / Rogue 11. You still get most Rogue's interesting features, you lose one die on SA and you get the same spell level but you can learn Conjure Animals and a direct damage spells.
For your rogue beastmaster concept, I'd daresay it flows more easily into the fluff and be great fun to play as well. :)

SMac8988
2016-03-25, 04:43 PM
While Valor Bard could indeed be a nice alternative, the problem you speak of does not really exist.
There are plenty good spells in Ranger and Rogue spelllist that don't rely at all on spellcasting stat.

So you could in fact dump both INT (hard) and WIS (down to multiclass requirement) without much problem.
In fact, it could even be a good choice: just pick non-concentration & concentration buffs and utilities. With such a dump you can up DEX and Constitution to good levels, helping to keep concentration.
With that said, if you stay at range concentration saves should not be as a priority as it would be for a melee AT.

@OP
So keep your BM/AT build idea which is great, as for stat distribution the safestbet is probably to keep Wis at a decent level (for spells such as Ensnaring Strike and wisdom spells) and just dump INT which is not even needed for multiclass nor for using good AT spells (Mirror Image, Blur, Haste, etc).

Indeed. Notice that there is a net loss compared to Ranger 8 / Rogue 12: one ASI and one spell level.

Besides that...
With 7 / 13 repartition, you get AT's archetype feature so you can distract a creature with Mage Hand as a bonus action...
Well, with a beast in play, I'd say it's nearly useless since the beast is enough to enable SA and you have many things to do with bonus action already.

You can also learn great spells AT lvl 3 spells such as Haste or Fly. But both are concentration spells, and Ranger also gets many interesting spells lvl 3 spells that require concentration.
Action-economy wise, you could easily say that Conjure Animals trumps Haste. Damage-wise, you get Conjure Barrage, Flame Arrows or Lightning Arrow.

So if you don't mind having one less ASI anyways, I would suggest rather Ranger 9 / Rogue 11. You still get most Rogue's interesting features, you lose one die on SA and you get the same spell level but you can learn Conjure Animals and a direct damage spells.
For your rogue beastmaster concept, I'd daresay it flows more easily into the fluff and be great fun to play as well. :)

How would you go about levleing thwn? I can see the benefits to the 9/11 build. I would have to look more into it.

Citan
2016-03-25, 06:23 PM
How would you go about levleing thwn? I can see the benefits to the 9/11 build. I would have to look more into it.
Well, I'll let others say their opinion on whether one among both (9/11 or 7/13) is significantly better or not, for your particular build at least.

TBH, I think both are as viable, it's more a matter of personal taste (I personnally like animals, and as I said I think it's more "inline" with your fluff, but Haste for a ranged character is still a very potent choice).

Anyways...
On the question of how to build it, I'm not sure of the best way to go actually. The two obvious options would be:
1. Ranger straight up to 7 to get all Beast related abilities, then Rogue up to 7 at least, then whatever you want.
This is a safe way to go, and you get to play with your beast as designed but the (big) problem is, you start playing your concept very late. This can work if you plan on starting your career by riding your beast anyways (since you can also make it Dash)...

2. The other obvious way that I see and would actually favor would be one that brings Rogue into the mix much earlier.
Start Ranger still up to 3 to get your beast (4 if you think you need to boost DEX) then immediately dip into Rogue until 3 at least to get the first AT spells.
At that level, on the plus side, your base concept is online, and you already get some cantrips to play with. The lack of Extra Attack is slightly compensated by your extra mobility (Cunning Action) and 2d6 extra damage through easily enabled Sneak Attack.
On the minus side, two significant flaws: your beast is useful only for scounting and, during fight, to enable SA. Meaning also that (since still low levels) it's very susceptible of becoming a target of choice and being down pretty quick (theorycrafting here though, never actually played Beastmaster so I don't know how resilient it can be).
So, from here, your priority will be Ranger 5: it helps a bit with beast resilience and, depending on the situation, you can prefer making a combined attack with it rather than doing yourself both attacks from Extra Attack. You also get 2nd level spells.
After that, I have no real opinion, I'd say it depends on how fun you're having already, what spells you'd like to play with and what end build you're targeting.
My intuitive choice would be Rogue 4 for ASI, then going Ranger up to 9 (final "Beast"), ASI and Conjure Animals then finishing Rogue. This makes Reliable Talent the build capstone, I've seen worse.
If you'd rather play with Reliable Talent, go Rogue all the way up then it will be Conjure Animals being the pinnacle of your build.

Hope that helps, and more importantly hope you'll have plenty of fun. :)

SMac8988
2016-03-25, 10:22 PM
Im honesty not going to say i know enough abour conjure animal to make it like a cap stone. I figured haste would give me two attacks and my beast one at least. I was planning to use the mage hand thing for advantage to make sure i get sneak attack, but i alsp think my beast can use help to do the same thing.

Honestly i dm more than i play, and most my players are pretty standard, so i havent ran into much of my current confusion perviously.

Citan
2016-03-26, 04:29 PM
Im honesty not going to say i know enough abour conjure animal to make it like a cap stone. I figured haste would give me two attacks and my beast one at least. I was planning to use the mage hand thing for advantage to make sure i get sneak attack, but i alsp think my beast can use help to do the same thing.

Honestly i dm more than i play, and most my players are pretty standard, so i havent ran into much of my current confusion perviously.
Well, it's just that beast allows you to auto-enable SA (creature hostile to your target within 5 feet of it). With that said, it doesn't give you advantage unless you ask it to Help you with bonus action (wich then is exactly the same as using your Mage Hand, that's all).
Also, Haste is still a very powerful choice, since you are sure to get another extra chance at landing your SA while still allowing your beast to get an attack.

So, don't bother so much with us (at least with me). :) I thought you had no clear idea on build so I suggested a variant, but if you'd like to have fun with Haste go with it, it's also a solid choice. So forget about "power consideration" and just consider your fluff. :)
Really. :) Forum advice is just this, advice. Pick up what you want to play and think you'll have fun with first and foremost, it will never be a bad choice (optimizing is not a requirement). :)

Enjoy your game!

SMac8988
2016-03-26, 04:42 PM
Well, it's just that beast allows you to auto-enable SA (creature hostile to your target within 5 feet of it). With that said, it doesn't give you advantage unless you ask it to Help you with bonus action (wich then is exactly the same as using your Mage Hand, that's all).
Also, Haste is still a very powerful choice, since you are sure to get another extra chance at landing your SA while still allowing your beast to get an attack.

So, don't bother so much with us (at least with me). :) I thought you had no clear idea on build so I suggested a variant, but if you'd like to have fun with Haste go with it, it's also a solid choice. So forget about "power consideration" and just consider your fluff. :)
Really. :) Forum advice is just this, advice. Pick up what you want to play and think you'll have fun with first and foremost, it will never be a bad choice (optimizing is not a requirement). :)

Enjoy your game!

Lol thanks, that was my biggest thing was fluff. 5e, from what im seeing, works really well for playing what you want to play. Im concerned that ill need to be level 20 for haste, but its not terrible.

HONESTLY, ill probably go 8 ranger, 12 trickster, due to the stat and feat bumps. Unless the spell choices sway to much or what id lose from 13 trickster is a big loss. I know i can use the hand for advantage as a bonus action, but i cah have my beast "help" as the same thing at level 3....

Citan
2016-03-26, 05:23 PM
Lol thanks, that was my biggest thing was fluff. 5e, from what im seeing, works really well for playing what you want to play. Im concerned that ill need to be level 20 for haste, but its not terrible.

HONESTLY, ill probably go 8 ranger, 12 trickster, due to the stat and feat bumps. Unless the spell choices sway to much or what id lose from 13 trickster is a big loss. I know i can use the hand for advantage as a bonus action, but i cah have my beast "help" as the same thing at level 3....
(note though that Haste is obtained only at 13 Rogue ;)).

Sure. :)
In any way, unless your DM levels you up every session, I'd say you'll have pleeeeeeenty of time to think about how to distribute the latest levels. Unless you're starting with a lvl 16 or so character...:smallbiggrin:

SMac8988
2016-03-26, 07:09 PM
(note though that Haste is obtained only at 13 Rogue ;)).

Sure. :)
In any way, unless your DM levels you up every session, I'd say you'll have pleeeeeeenty of time to think about how to distribute the latest levels. Unless you're starting with a lvl 16 or so character...:smallbiggrin:

What level do i get swift quiver? I`m still not grasping this spell level thing....lol. or am i not going to be getting that? I mean i feel my bonus action is almost always going to be taken up, but still could be nice

bid
2016-03-27, 12:30 AM
What level do i get swift quiver?
Swift quiver is 5th, rangers get a 5th slot at level 17.

SMac8988
2016-03-27, 02:17 AM
Swift quiver is 5th, rangers get a 5th slot at level 17.

Welp, never going to see that then... lol

Citan
2016-03-27, 03:38 AM
Welp, never going to see that then... lol
Indeed, but as you said yourself, you already get so much to do with your bonus action (and concentration as well, if only because Hunter's Mark) that it's a painless "loss" for you whose main damage comes from Sneak Attack. :)

SMac8988
2016-03-27, 08:53 AM
Indeed, but as you said yourself, you already get so much to do with your bonus action (and concentration as well, if only because Hunter's Mark) that it's a painless "loss" for you whose main damage comes from Sneak Attack. :)

Very true. Ill just have to figure out which spells I like and could help. Not 100% on them right now...

SMac8988
2016-03-27, 10:37 AM
Also is there a giant squirrel to use instead of the weasel? Cause that would be awesome!

OMG or a flying squirrel!

EvilAnagram
2016-03-27, 11:26 AM
Also is there a giant squirrel to use instead of the weasel? Cause that would be awesome!

OMG or a flying squirrel!

You can just reskin the weasel as a squirrel. Or the Pteranodon.

SMac8988
2016-03-27, 11:40 AM
You can just reskin the weasel as a squirrel. Or the Pteranodon.

Very true. Ill have to check on it.

SMac8988
2016-03-29, 07:57 PM
Hey everyone, hoping this isnt considered reserrection but i had a question.

At level 3 arcane trickster, i get 2 1st level spells. If i take find familar, A.) Can i still get it even though i have my beast? B.) Can i use the dash action for my beast while mounted, and have the familar use help to get advantage for sneak attack? C.) Can i use the see through their eyes during an attack? Like if i shroud myself in fog can i have my hawk fly above it to see past the fog? D.) What do people suggest as a good familar?

Citan
2016-03-30, 03:30 AM
Hey everyone, hoping this isnt considered reserrection but i had a question.

At level 3 arcane trickster, i get 2 1st level spells. If i take find familar, A.) Can i still get it even though i have my beast? B.) Can i use the dash action for my beast while mounted, and have the familar use help to get advantage for sneak attack? C.) Can i use the see through their eyes during an attack? Like if i shroud myself in fog can i have my hawk fly above it to see past the fog? D.) What do people suggest as a good familar?
Hi again!

Imo, everything you say works by RAW. As for familiar choice, I like the Owl because of "flyby" ability (no opportunity attacks) and it would make a nice scout to complement your beast.
The drawback is that it's a fragile beast, so if you want to make it Help you (= being in close combat) another beast would probably be best.

SMac8988
2016-03-30, 04:49 AM
Hi again!

Imo, everything you say works by RAW. As for familiar choice, I like the Owl because of "flyby" ability (no opportunity attacks) and it would make a nice scout to complement your beast.
The drawback is that it's a fragile beast, so if you want to make it Help you (= being in close combat) another beast would probably be best.

Fighting with a longbow primary, so no worries there!!!