PDA

View Full Version : Non-Magic Combat Medic

Centik
2016-03-24, 07:17 PM
-----As of late, I've been reminiscing about one of my favorite series, Chronicles of the Black Company, and brewing up a new character to hopefully play when I find a group. I've always been a fan of healers, but not so much spell casting healers in d&d, so I decided to make a non-magic healer of sorts using a fighter and the healer feat with an effort to recreate a sort of war-weary merc/doctor like Croaker. My worry is that my focus in healing with the kit once per short rest on each individual might be far, far worse than a traditional cleric or druid healer. Any insight on bettering the concept is much appreciated and i'm open to most suggestions. Homebrewing a specific class might work, but it would have to be given the big OK by the DM of the group I find.

MeeposFire
2016-03-24, 07:24 PM
Actually once per short rest per person is not that bad especially if you consider that they also get to spend their hit dice as well to heal on top of that.

If you want to use it in combat at all I recommend 3 levels of thief to allow you to heal as a bonus action.

RickAllison
2016-03-24, 07:24 PM
If SCAG is allowed, you might look at the Purple Dragon Knight/Banneret. Its level 3 ability allows for Second Wind to heal up to three allied creatures which is the only non-magical ability I can think of that allows for multi-target healing.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-24, 07:35 PM
You could throw on Inspiring Leader for a little more short rest support.

Centik
2016-03-24, 07:36 PM
Actually once per short rest per person is not that bad especially if you consider that they also get to spend their hit dice as well to heal on top of that.

If you want to use it in combat at all I recommend 3 levels of thief to allow you to heal as a bonus action.

Well, a big plus for fighter is action surge, as it will allow for a bonus action heal for myself or another party member. Is the thief ability that much better than AS?

Centik
2016-03-24, 07:38 PM
You could throw on Inspiring Leader for a little more short rest support.

I was thinking about grabbing it at 4, but I don't feel like it really fits my character's personality as the quiet medic who has seen the absolute worst of war and its effects on people both mentally and physically. Maybe I could flavor it as a simple, reassuring hand on the shoulder haha.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-24, 07:44 PM
Actually, you'd be slightly better off with a Thief Rogue for a combat medic, as you can use their Cunning Action with the med kits. This lets you use them in the middle of combat much easier than anyone else. You can also extend this to using the Cunning Action to force a healing potion in their mouths.

With a high enough strength or a good bag of holding, you can have many medical items on your person, ready to use them on others as need be.

Belac93
2016-03-24, 08:05 PM
Thief, start as variant human with the healer feat and a background that gives you herbalism kits, at level 4 take inspiring leader. You are now a reliable source of temporary hit points, as well as being able to bring people back from unconsciousness and having the odd healing potion.

You could throw in a fighter 3 dip for the banneret feature as well.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-24, 10:09 PM
Thief, start as variant human with the healer feat and a background that gives you herbalism kits, at level 4 take inspiring leader. You are now a reliable source of temporary hit points, as well as being able to bring people back from unconsciousness and having the odd healing potion.

You could throw in a fighter 3 dip for the banneret feature as well.

Ooh, Herbalism Kits. Good call, forgot about them. Throw in eventual training with Alchemist Supplies (which your character can do during down time, no need to waste a feat on that,) and you can brew so many healing things it's not funny.

Or maybe it is.

MeeposFire
2016-03-24, 10:19 PM
Well, a big plus for fighter is action surge, as it will allow for a bonus action heal for myself or another party member. Is the thief ability that much better than AS?

Why not eventually go for both? Fighter and rogue go very well together.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-24, 11:47 PM
My worry is that my focus in healing with the kit once per short rest on each individual might be far, far worse than a traditional cleric or druid healer.

A fighter with Healer and medicine proficiency is not going to replace someone with a full spell loadout and the ability to remove conditions. But if you are in a campaign environment with a lot of pressure each day and where your party aggressively pursues short rests between fights, that healing can make a difference by taking pressure off long rest resources like hit dice and your main healers' spell slots. It's a question of your party's endurance in terms of damage and healing.

Also, I think you may want to try and push the envelope regarding what you can do with the medicine skill. The book is exceedingly sparse on uses for it, but maybe you can score something like removing the poisoned condition or improving the hit points people recover on a rest.

Centik
2016-03-24, 11:57 PM
Why not eventually go for both? Fighter and rogue go very well together.

Well, I'm pretty traditional when it comes to characters and, though it can be limiting, generally don't multi-class. It's just never jived with me.

Centik
2016-03-25, 12:01 AM
A fighter with Healer and medicine proficiency is not going to replace someone with a full spell loadout and the ability to remove conditions. But if you are in a campaign environment with a lot of pressure each day and where your party aggressively pursues short rests between fights, that healing can make a difference by taking pressure off long rest resources like hit dice and your main healers' spell slots. It's a question of your party's endurance in terms of damage and healing.

Also, I think you may want to try and push the envelope regarding what you can do with the medicine skill. The book is exceedingly sparse on uses for it, but maybe you can score something like removing the poisoned condition or improving the hit points people recover on a rest.

I'm hoping the DM I find will be a bit chill when it comes to rules and allow me to do some extra things with the medicine skill. Like, for example, extra healing by using a full round action in conjunction with the healer's kit or possibly bonus HP. Good advice. We'll see where I can take it!

Drackolus
2016-03-25, 12:06 AM
Combining healer, inspiring leader, and using the banneret should be more than enough healing. While using a healer's kit as a bonus action is certainly nice, 9 times out of 10 you'd be better off swinging your sword during combat and leaving the healer's kits for between combats. Picking up martial adept for rally and commanding strike is nice. My significant other is playing a character with that build (sans the healer feat) and it's very potent. Of course, if you want a true medic, you'll need to explore homebrew options. I know I saw some on the Unearthed Arcana Reddit, as a scholar archetype if I remember correctly. Of course, that will require the DM to okay it.

EDIT: however, if you go into rogue for thief, don't forget that you also get expertise, which you can put into medicine.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-25, 12:10 AM
I'm hoping the DM I find will be a bit chill when it comes to rules and allow me to do some extra things with the medicine skill. Like, for example, extra healing by using a full round action in conjunction with the healer's kit or possibly bonus HP. Good advice. We'll see where I can take it!

Just be sure to work these things out with your GM beforehand. If you're putting him on the spot to make a ruling during the session, he might say no as a reflex. If you instead give him space to think about it outside of the session, that will probably end up better for you. Either way you'll want to be careful to avoid looking like a powergamer; make sure any skill uses you think of are relatively well-balanced, and be willing to work with him if he thinks something is too strong. Also record whatever rulings come up, because it can be easy to forget a houserule.

MeeposFire
2016-03-25, 02:06 AM
Well, I'm pretty traditional when it comes to characters and, though it can be limiting, generally don't multi-class. It's just never jived with me.

Well in that case I suggest you decide whether you want to be an effective in combat healer (thief as spending an action on healing is usually not worth it but bonus action can be worth it) or whether you want to be better at doing damage in a short amount of time.

RickAllison
2016-03-25, 02:16 AM
Between the Thief and the Banneret, it really becomes a question of if you want to be a mobile medic on the battlefield or if you want to be a combat medic who both heals and makes sure they don't get damaged in the first place.