PDA

View Full Version : I have more water, now I need better walls!

ReaverVonVette
2016-03-25, 07:22 AM
So recentlyy I've posted about needing a spell that creates a bunch of water, so I can combine it with Wall of Force, a swim speed, and Spring Attack to do some not-so-nice things to my victims. However, I failed to realize that Wall of Force doesn't create horizontal surfaces, so they can just swim to the top and climb out of what is basically my Olympic sized swimming pool. Is there a better spell for containing 100,000 gallons of water, a razor-sharp Sharklord and his victims?

Necroticplague
2016-03-25, 08:29 AM
Wall of ice can be horizontal. So can Dark Way,but that's probably a bit thin for your purposes.

Doctor Despair
2016-03-25, 08:44 AM
Use a summoning spell and stick some gargantuan creature up there. I don't think you can tumble while swimming, so they shouldn't be able to move through the squares your giant spider is occupying.

MisterKaws
2016-03-25, 08:48 AM
Apocalypse From the Sky can create a 10km radius crater, as long as it's used in common soil.

Or... y'know, Plane Shift with the target; that basically turns Plane Shift into a save-or-suck for 80% of the creatures.

Zale
2016-03-25, 08:55 AM
Apocalypse From the Sky can create a 10km radius crater, as long as it's used in common soil.

Or... y'know, Plane Shift with the target; that basically turns Plane Shift into a save-or-suck for 80% of the creatures.

Isn't Plane Shift save-or-suck for most creatures anyway?

At any rate, OP, they still have to swim out of the pool of doom; that should give you plenty of time to make their life uncomfortable- especially if you did this in a confined area to begin with.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 08:58 AM
Sculpt Spell and any wall-type effect with an Area, such as forcecage. Turn it into a cone; now you have a massive, hollow cone of force. Or a sphere, at your leisure.

ReaverVonVette
2016-03-25, 09:32 AM
Wall of ice can be horizontal. So can Dark Way,but that's probably a bit thin for your purposes.

My only concern with this is that water on ice will make the ice melt, and idk how quickly this will happen.

The Sculpt Spell/Wall of Force combo seems pretty funny, but how many spell slots does it bo

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 09:39 AM
My only concern with this is that water on ice will make the ice melt, and idk how quickly this will happen.

The Sculpt Spell/Wall of Force combo seems pretty funny, but how many spell slots does it boSculpt Spell adds +1 spell level. +0, with something like the Forceful Spell feat.

And it's forcecage, not wall of force.

ReaverVonVette
2016-03-25, 01:15 PM
Sculpt Spell adds +1 spell level. +0, with something like the Forceful Spell feat.

And it's forcecage, not wall of force.

They would both work, Wall of Force is just a lower level spell is all. The only issue with this is that a 40-foot diameter ball, as large as it is, isn't quite large enough when my swim speed is 120 after Blade Dancer (OA). It would work, but the bigger the better.

Necroticplague
2016-03-25, 02:00 PM

Wall of Ice isn't Instantaneous. The wall created is magical. It'll avoid melting as long as it has the magic of the spell is holding it together.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 02:09 PM
They would both work, Wall of Force is just a lower level spell is all. The only issue with this is that a 40-foot diameter ball, as large as it is, isn't quite large enough when my swim speed is 120 after Blade Dancer (OA). It would work, but the bigger the better.Most wall effects do not have Areas (except energy wall, which is the only exception, as far as I can tell), so Sculpt Spell won't work on them.

Troacctid
2016-03-25, 02:23 PM
Moon Path (SpC) creates a flat bridge out of force, up to 20 feet wide and 15 ft/level long. It's essentially the same as a horizontal Wall of Force, except that it can be dispelled, and it provides you with a protective effect when you walk on top of it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 03:58 PM
Anyone know of any barrier type spells like forcecage that have Areas and could be used as-is or with Sculpt Spell?

MisterKaws
2016-03-25, 04:59 PM
Anyone know of any barrier type spells like forcecage that have Areas and could be used as-is or with Sculpt Spell?

None with the size you need. Your best choice is either Resillient Sphere with overcharged CL, or just a plain Reach Plane Shift(or greater teleport to some REALLY deep part of the ocean).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 05:04 PM
None with the size you need. Your best choice is either Resillient Sphere with overcharged CL, or just a plain Reach Plane Shift(or greater teleport to some REALLY deep part of the ocean).Most things such as that have Effects, not Areas, and resilient sphere is one of them.

It's hard to find a barrier spell with an Area entry. As far as I know, only forcecage and energy wall qualify, and the latter isn't exactly usable for holding water.

Cruiser1
2016-03-25, 05:09 PM
However, I failed to realize that Wall of Force doesn't create horizontal surfaces
This restriction is easily bypassed! :smallbiggrin: Just cast False Gravity (SpC) to redefine "down" for yourself to be 90 degrees different from normal. Then you can cast Wall of Force, and create a valid vertical surface relative to your current orientation, that will be horizontal relative to your pool.

If you can't cast False Gravity, then set up your pool on the Plane of Air or some other plane that has subjective gravity instead, so you can choose and change the direction of "down" at will.

Jack_Simth
2016-03-25, 05:27 PM
So recentlyy I've posted about needing a spell that creates a bunch of water, so I can combine it with Wall of Force, a swim speed, and Spring Attack to do some not-so-nice things to my victims. However, I failed to realize that Wall of Force doesn't create horizontal surfaces, so they can just swim to the top and climb out of what is basically my Olympic sized swimming pool. Is there a better spell for containing 100,000 gallons of water, a razor-sharp Sharklord and his victims?
Given the timeframe of most combats, the highly-shapeable Wall of Stone should generally work out well for you. Yes, the rock might be porous... but it'll be a while for very porous rock to pass that much water.

MisterKaws
2016-03-25, 05:27 PM
Most things such as that have Effects, not Areas, and resilient sphere is one of them.

Overcharging the CL has nothing to do with Areas. A Resilient Sphere with CL on the hundreds will achieve what you want. Other than this, you can only do it with a Plane Shift, since there's no way to make a pool big enough to match your movement capabilities.

Jack_Simth
2016-03-25, 05:33 PM
Overcharging the CL has nothing to do with Areas. A Resilient Sphere with CL on the hundreds will achieve what you want. Other than this, you can only do it with a Plane Shift, since there's no way to make a pool big enough to match your movement capabilities.

That it will, yes, and theoretically it's only the target that gets the save on Resilient Sphere. You might be able to trap someone else by casting the spell on yourself and forgoing the save. 1 ft/level diameter means that a CL 20 Sphere is four squares across at the widest point. If you're in the middle of that, a medium sized opponent adjacent to you (or even five feet away, depending on exactly where the sphere is centred) would theoretically be in it as well.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 05:43 PM
Overcharging the CL has nothing to do with Areas. A Resilient Sphere with CL on the hundreds will achieve what you want. Other than this, you can only do it with a Plane Shift, since there's no way to make a pool big enough to match your movement capabilities.I was referring to the fact that you can use Sculpt Spell to change forcecage's Area to a very, very large one, which you can then use to create a large area to fill with water. If you could find a lower level barrier spell with an Area, even an absolutely tiny one, that's conceivably capable of holding water, Sculpt Spell can turn it into something far, far larger.

ATHATH
2016-03-25, 06:20 PM
If you can somehow make the water a creature, Dragonmark Demesne might work well.

ATHATH
2016-03-25, 06:23 PM
Actually, that gives me an idea.

Get immunity to acid. Acquire a gelatinous cube, a Living Spell (via the Spell Sovereign PrC), or a water elemental and get it to engulf your foes. Jump into the animated liquid and use it as a mobile swimming pool.

ReaverVonVette
2016-03-25, 07:49 PM
What if I cast Move Earth, which can create a 750x750x10 hole at the most, then use False Gravity combined with Wall of Force to cover the top and then unleash Flash Flood?

It'd take a few turns, but it might work.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 08:00 PM
Since shields are bashing weapons, get a square-shaped light shield and enhance it as a +1 sizing weapon. Now you can use it to blockade a doorway, a wall, or a corridor by setting it upright and increasing its size until it wedges itself tightly wherever it will do the most good, so you can follow that up by creating all the water you want. The shield will act as a wall, keeping the water from escaping until you resize it again. Make sure the shield is password protected so that only the one with the passwords can make it larger or smaller, one password to make it bigger, and another to make it smaller. That way your foes can't grab it while you're screwing them over.

If you buy several, you can blockade corridors from both directions and block off several places at once.

If you have a familiar with prehensile digits (or a prehensile tail) who can talk, you can both keep a couple of shields each on-hand to set up the battlefield quickly.

If you make it a morphing weapon as well, you can change the shape of the shield to suit whatever room you're in at any given time.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-03-25, 08:16 PM
If you have an intelligent pet, familiar, psicrystal, follower, or other helper, you can give it a psychoactive skin of proteus. It will then be able to turn into an object of any size category you want. Turn it into a massive metal box to fill with water, if you want.