PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Debuffer/melee Shaman build help

Unbalanced
2016-03-25, 09:45 AM
So I'm playing my first PF campaign in a while after an extended hiatus spent exploring some sci-fi rpgs, but having been away a while I'm having trouble coming up with ideas and making the build work.
I'm trying to build a shaman that can support the team with debuffing and also competently back up the barbarian.

I have to be either a dwarf or a half-orc.
I have to be a shaman.
Ability scores are 17, 11, 16, 7, 18, 14 to be allocated as I like.
I get 2 traits.
Doesn't have to be optimised but would like to be formidable.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Gnaeus
2016-03-25, 10:25 AM
Well, there is a good guide. I know it is in the PF guide to class guides.

Failing that, put your highest stat in wisdom. Take slumber as a witch hex at level 2. Carry a scythe (you don't need to be proficient.) put things to sleep and murder them. If your familiar takes the Mauler archetype, he can murder them for you.

Unbalanced
2016-03-30, 11:29 PM
I did read a few guides, but it did still leave me at a bit of a loss..

But this is what I ended up with -
Debuff/melee Shaman:

Half-Orc
(Alternate racial trait: Sacred Tattoo)

STR 17
DEX 11
CON 16
INT 7
WIS 20 (+2)
CHA 14

Languages:
Common, Orc

Traits:
Reactionary - You gain a +2 trait bonus on initiative checks.
Bully - Gain a +1 trait bonus on intimidate checks, and intimidate is always a class skill
for you.

Shaman 1-
HP: 11
Initiative: +2 (Trait +2)
Attack: +3 (Str +3)
Damage: 1D12+4 (Greataxe)
AC: 15 (Scail mail +5)
Saves: FORT +4 (Con +3, Luck +1), REF +1 (Luck +1), WILL +8 (Shaman +2, Wis +5, Luck +1)
Spirit: Battle
Spirit animal: Goat (mauler)
Spirit magic: 1st - Enlarge Person
Feat: Intimidating prowess

Spells:
0th level - 5 per day (+2 Wis bonus)
1st level - 2 per day (+1 Wis bonus)

Skills:
Handle Animal +6 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, +2 Cha), Intimidate +12 (+1 rank, +3 class skill, +2 Cha, +3 Str, +1 trait bonus, +2 race bonus)

We had our first session last night and after Django the goat followed his nose (rolled better on a survival check than the rest of the party) and led us into trouble, I was able to successfully demoralize the opponent shortly before slipping and falling into a small creek, haha. But Django made a good roll after my team mates dwindled down the opponents HP a bit and he managed to land the killing blow. Hah! That'll teach you for attacking my innocent goat!

Geddy2112
2016-03-31, 10:02 AM
Not a bad build.

Since you dumped int, you won't be wandering into lore to get the arcane enligntenment hex. Bones and mammoth will probably be your primary wandering spirits, but read up on all of them so you can always have the spells/hexes you need for wherever you are.

Second slumber as a hex. Secret is probably the best shaman hex, but wait till you qualify for a good metamagic feat. If your DM allows crafting, take fetish. Flight is another good witch hex to grab, and if you ever consider brewing potions, take cauldron hex instead-it is brew potion as a bonus and +4 to craft alchemy.

If you wanna debuff more from fear, you could get weapon focus+dazzling display, but I am more of a fan of power attack+coragun smash, so you can intimidate as a swift action after axing somebody in the face.

Once you get into higher levels, use your favored class bonus to add cleric spells to your spell list, because shamans have a pretty garbage spell list. Using the water hex fluid magic you can prepare the spells obtained this way in slots other than your spirit spell slots(cause otherwise the cleric spells you learn only can go here). Still worth learning things like blessings of fervor.

On orisons:Always prepare detect magic and create water. You don't need light/dancing lights since you have darkvision. Only prepare mending and read magic when you need either. Daze will stop being useful after level 4 but consider it for the first couple levels. Touch of fatigue is great for your bad touch build. The rest are pretty useless(a rank in survival gives you the equal to know direction).

Unbalanced
2016-04-22, 06:44 PM
Looking for some help again...
Just hit level 2, grabbed the slumber hex, and there's nothing else to mention there.

With level 3 coming up next I need to pick a feat and I'm having trouble...
It's ended up me and my goat basically being the team's tanks. Unfortunately.
With that in mind I need to raise my AC and/or HP and/or defensive effectiveness.

I've already reserved my 5th level feat to be Improved Familiar to pick up an earth elemental (that will take the form of a goat) for a more effective mauler but also suits the flavour of my character being very close to nature spiritually.

Was looking at Power Attack and Cornugon Smash but that won't help my defence capabilities (by way of debuffing) until level 7.

I've considered heavy armour proficiency but we all know at later levels your AC doesn't really matter anyway, so I'd rather invest in a more absolute form of defence.

Any suggestions??

Cheers.

avr
2016-04-22, 07:27 PM
If your familiar's going to be getting into melee a lot, eventually half your HP won't be enough. Mauler's Endurance may save you a lot of money some day. If your own defences are an immediate problem then heavy armor prof is as good as you can do for now, you can look into retraining it later.