PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying What would your character do...

brionl
2016-03-25, 09:51 AM
The genre is modern horror with the "secret war", i.e. most people don't believe that there are monsters. Or really, any setting with hidden monsters.

Through a Friend of a Friend, your character finds out about a vacancy in a really great apartment building in the campaign city. It's got a great rent, a good neighborhood, nice amenities nearby, good transportation, etc, etc. The neighbors are really nice and friendly and the super keeps the building in great shape. So you sign a several year lease and move in.

Eventually, however you find out that the building super is a Vampire and is feeding off of the tenants. If you do some investigation, you'll also find out that he/she/it owns the building so that if they were to suddenly die, you'd probably be evicted.

On the one hand, Vampire. On the other hand, Man what a great apartment. Plus you've got a lease...

Gallade
2016-03-25, 10:08 AM
Hang garlic and crucifixes everywhere, calla priest to anoint the house once or twice a week, and pay the rent on time so they never have an excuse to come in.

Rusvul
2016-03-25, 10:16 AM
In real life, I'd get away as fast as I can. Oh well, I lose what I paid for the lease, but I get to keep my life. (Also I would generally avoid committing for more than a few months if at all possible.)

In a game, I'd defend myself as well as I could... Hopefully the whole 'cannot cross into a private space without permission' thing still applies. But yes, definitely, always pay the rent on time. Well ahead of time, even. Also, mirrors. A vampire trying not to reveal itself would likely avoid mirrors, assuming that in the setting in question they cast no reflection.

Jbr208
2016-03-25, 10:21 AM
Personally, I'd start drawing blood and start augmenting my rent payment with a pint every couple months. If you know about the super, and the super has an inkling that you know, you're potentially in danger of becoming a target. If, however, you know and demonstrate that you're willing to play ball, then you'll probably be fine (granted, this makes a couple assumptions about a vampire's dietary needs as well as the psychology of said vampire).

goto124
2016-03-25, 10:39 AM
Depends on the vampire - there're too many times ranging the spectrum from 'monstrous' to 'friendly' (and sometimes a bit more than that, if you know what I mean :smallamused:).

My PCs share a vampire BF, of course I would ask!

Inevitability
2016-03-25, 11:48 AM
First of all, protections. Vampires have some incredibly random weaknesses that are very easy to exploit, so I'll buy a pair of sunglasses, begin cultivating garlic, and start collecting crucifixes.

Once I feel safe, I'll try to determine if the vampire is related to other mythical beings, and try to learn as much about them as possible.

From then? I honestly don't know. I guess it depends on what I learn about the vampire and the network of supernatural beings. If I'm feeling particularly bold, I might even try to trick him into vamping me, because immortality.

MrZJunior
2016-03-25, 12:39 PM
Well, my current character is a buracrat, so he might try to game the system to have the super's building taken away or something like that, then team up with his freinds to take him down.

Winter_Wolf
2016-03-25, 04:53 PM
In real life, I'd get away as fast as I can. Oh well, I lose what I paid for the lease, but I get to keep my life. (Also I would generally avoid committing for more than a few months if at all possible.)

In a game, I'd defend myself as well as I could... Hopefully the whole 'cannot cross into a private space without permission' thing still applies. But yes, definitely, always pay the rent on time. Well ahead of time, even. Also, mirrors. A vampire trying not to reveal itself would likely avoid mirrors, assuming that in the setting in question they cast no reflection.

But the vamper owns the whole building. I seriously he'd need permission to cross the threshold even to a rented out apartment in it. Like Baron Strahd von Zarovich said, "every home is my home!"

But seriously, unless my character is an experienced vampire hunter, move/go into hiding while trying to figure out how far the infiltration has spread and who's like to come after me should I succeed in extirpating the super.

Mongobear
2016-03-25, 05:14 PM
This entirely depends on what sort of Vampire legends and folklore is in play.

Like, does renting the Apartment and signing the lease make it your home? If so, as long as you never invite the Super into your home, or are able to rescind the invitation before he eats you, you shoul be able to avoid him, until you have to leave of course. So, you would need to always make sure you're only active during daylight hours.

Perhaps if the Vampire isn't a truely murderous type, an accord could be reach for mutual protection. (i.e. In exchange for not eating you, you keep watch on his business and/or apartment during the daytime so that his enemies can't get to him while he sleeps)

Also, this is assuming that we don't wish to become a Vampire ourselves. Going off of a setting similar to the TruBlood HBO series, I'd bet there is a fair share of unknowing humans that would willingly accept being turned, or offer free meals to a Vampire in exchange for safety, etc.

RazorChain
2016-03-25, 08:00 PM
Put on my sunglasses, leather trenchcoat and take my sword of the wall. Fill my sons supersquirt gun with holy water. Have my blade blessed by a priest. Light a cigar. Then go buttkicking for goodness!

"Evil meet boot, boot meet EVIL!!"

*Yes I own a real sword, sunglasses and a leather trenchcoat, I also smoke cigars.

Gildedragon
2016-03-26, 03:05 AM
How much feeding?
Regardless I'd go for the legend protection: bowls with assorted grains, garlic plants, holy water nebuliser, lots of incense burning, offerings to gods etc...

I probably would be interested in talking with them if they are discrete and careful in their feeding

if they are dangerously predatory: aiming for exterminating them, no idea how but i'd plot.

FocusWolf413
2016-03-26, 09:32 AM
My current D&D character would do some sleuthing during the day to double check that the vampire was living there, then burn it down when everyone was at work.

NRSASD
2016-03-26, 11:28 AM
Burn down my room. And the apartment building. And then the entire block, just to be sure.

Since when did my character bother renting an apartment anyways? He doesn't sleep, cause that's when the nightmares come.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-26, 01:17 PM
Even if vampires aren't real, sucking your tenant's blood is still a pretty big offense. You don't need to prove the supernatural, just that this guy's doing something that isn't right.

My current character would gather evidence. That means pictures, videos of the act of him sucking blood, testimony from residents, and anything else he could scrounge up. Then once he has a critical mass that's impossible to deny, he'd submit it to the authorities and probably leak it to the press too.

Quertus
2016-03-26, 09:20 PM
Depends on the character. And how I found out. And my feel on the super. And how the room came to be vacant.

And whether this is a solo game, and, of not, depends on the party.

Most likely, some gentle investigation, while sleeping over at a friend's house for a few days until I decide what to do.

And, when it's all over, investigate this friend of a friend.

The Fury
2016-03-27, 02:03 AM
Do you mean characters that I've created previously? If so, I think some would be more amusing than others.