PDA

View Full Version : Adding more UA Artificer options: Infuse Potions

RickAllison
2016-03-25, 11:40 AM
I just wanted some input from the community on adding more options for DMG potions to the Artificer. I, however, have no experience with homebrewing and so need help figuring which potions merit what spell slots. For reference, here are the officially ranked potions:

Spell Slot Potion Created

1st Climbing, growth, or healing
2nd Mind reading or greater healing
3rd Invisibility, superior healing, or water breathing
4th Resistance

Now I guess I'll list what seems to be decent judgement so you all can show me how I'm wrong!

1st: Animal Friendship; Diminution; Hill Giant Strength; Poison;
2nd: Gaseous Form;
3rd: Clairvoyance (possibly 2nd); Fire Breath; Frost/Stone Giant Strength
4th: Flying (might be 3rd); Supreme Healing;
5th: Heroism; Speed (might be 4th); Fire Giant Strength; Philter of Love
6th: Invulnerability; Elixir of Health
7th: Vitality, Cloud Giant Strength
8th: Longevity;
9th: Storm Giant Strength

My ratings seem all over the place, but I can see where being able to spam certain potions could cause problems. I think Longevity definitely deserves a high-level slot and Vitality is the only way I can think of to remove Exhaustion so it might well deserve a higher-level slot as well. Invulnerability is a potent, but short duration effect and so I find it hard to rank. Potions of Giant Strength are hard to rank as well; I could see keeping them one level apart and running them from 3rd through 7th or 4th through 8th. I would love more input on this.

Additionally, what does the community think of a substitute level 14 class feature allowing advantage or other modifiers on checks to mix potions?

SharkForce
2016-03-25, 10:18 PM
the subclass is already pretty strong imo. doesn't really need more. i certainly wouldn't want to hand out giant strength at all cheaply.

a potion should not require a lower level slot than the slot required to cast the spell, imo.

also, since you brought it up (briefly)... the level 5 spell "greater restoration" can remove levels of exhaustion.

RickAllison
2016-03-25, 10:37 PM
the subclass is already pretty strong imo. doesn't really need more. i certainly wouldn't want to hand out giant strength at all cheaply.

a potion should not require a lower level slot than the slot required to cast the spell, imo.

also, since you brought it up (briefly)... the level 5 spell "greater restoration" can remove levels of exhaustion.

Giant Strength, I agree on. As for needing a lower level slot, that already happens. Potion of Growth takes only a first level slot, but Invisibility takes a higher slot. They seem rather bipolar on it. Maybe take Giant Strength out (or raise it to a higher level)?

SharkForce
2016-03-25, 10:52 PM
i know they already made a lower level slot give an enlarge effect. i'm not terribly thrilled about that, either. but you asked for what i thought about your proposals, not the subclass that was already there :P

(which i've already said has some really overpowered loopholes).

RickAllison
2016-03-25, 11:31 PM
i know they already made a lower level slot give an enlarge effect. i'm not terribly thrilled about that, either. but you asked for what i thought about your proposals, not the subclass that was already there :P

(which i've already said has some really overpowered loopholes).

*coughFreeSimulacrumChaincough*