PDA

View Full Version : Manic or Demented? [Elder Scrolls D&D campaign]

Piedmon_Sama
2016-03-25, 02:26 PM
eggghhhhh so, I have this problem. Later this evening I'm introducing a new character in this D&D 3.5 game I'm playing which is modified to fit the Elder Scrolls setting (complete with overhauled spells & magic system, classes and races).

So because I begged for it and the DM finally acquiesced I'm playing a resident of the Shivering Isles! :smallcool: For those who don't know the Shivering Isles, aka the Madhouse, is the demiplane of Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness. Daedric Princes in Elder Scrolls are kinda like the Demon Princes or Arch-Devils in D&D, although they're less EEEEEVIL (though some of them are EEEEEEVIL, and none of them are exactly good). I love Sheogorath and the Shivering Isles and everything about the fluff of that setting (the DM never played the Shivering Isles expansion to Oblivion himself though so no chance of the campaign ever going there).

So here's the thing: The Madgod's Realm is split (much like the Madgod's mind) into two halves, both geographically and culturally. The one half which represents the bright, exuberant and creative side of Sheogorath is called Mania. The gloomy, melancholic, paranoid and devious side is called Dementia. Now in case I just made Mania sound like the "nice" side that's not what you should take from it. Generally people you meet in Mania are liable to be more friendly, but both sides are utterly insane. A person from Mania is no less likely to be violent than one from Dementia; the difference is more in demeanor and aspect (people from Dementia can certainly be creative too although they're likely to be more ghoulish about it).

And I'm not sure which side I want my Madman (that's the proper term for a resident of The Shivering Isles) to fall on.

Annnnd I've got like six hours to decide.

So, forum, other Elder Scrolls fans, maybe help?

My character concept is pretty sound, mechanically. This character is going to be a Crusader (think closest thing Elder Scrolls gets to a Paladin), because the party needs another melee tank and also some healing (so far we have a Knight, Mage and Nightblade). So, a mad Crusader for Sheogorath-----an inherently contradictory and stupid idea, which was how I knew it'd fit immediately. But! Is it a more Manic idea or a more Demented idea? I could see it working either way---a brooding, paranoid black knight obsessed with questing out of a yawning inner void of inadequacy OR a galavanting, brightly-colored mad knight errant who goes around spreading ART and FUN and BLOOD and GUTS.

And now I'm stuck. Which concept sounds better? Could there be any takes on this character I haven't considered? I usually have the luxury of more time to fine-tune character concepts but since I'm under the gun with it now any suggestions are appreciated!

illyahr
2016-03-26, 02:00 PM
How could you possibly pass up the chance to be Don Quixote? Be the crazy old knight charging at windmills because he thinks they are giants! Mania for life, yo.

Keltest
2016-03-26, 02:04 PM
I think a Manic would be much more fun to roleplay. You can be gleefully psychopathic, or spend six hours staring at a bug because its cool. Or both!

Vinyadan
2016-03-26, 02:08 PM
I'd go with demented. It sounds like something which can do more things relating to others, and generally have a deeper impact on the story.

Gildedragon
2016-03-26, 09:12 PM
Manic seems more delightful waving a banner of glammerweave, almost a bard in his demeanor

Lawleepawpz
2016-03-27, 09:21 AM
Well, let's think about it; you can either brood in a corner, "oh woe is me, for I am a weak and puny little thing" or you can have CHEESE! Now, which sounds better to you? I'd rather have cheese, because if I didn't, somebody would have to die. And I just had new carpets installed!