PDA

View Full Version : How to call Durkon* ?

ChristianSt
2016-03-25, 04:48 PM
With strip #1030 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1030.html) we got a bunch of possible alternative names for Durkon*. While Roy isn't satisfied with any of them, I would like to see what the mass of forumites thinks about it. For this I want to do a simple vote between all possible names. To (hopefully) make things simple and fair I will use the alternate voting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE) system to count votes. In a nutshell: Just give a ordered list from your most favorite name to your least favorite name (you still like). After votes are closed round after round the name with the lowest amount of votes will be eliminated until one clear winner (>50%) emerges.

EDIT:
Voting is finished and the result can be viewed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482656-How-to-call-Durkon*&p=20599408&viewfull=1#post20599408).
Markozeta started a second round of voting here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482656-How-to-call-Durkon*&p=20600380&viewfull=1#post20600380). Finished - results are here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482656-How-to-call-Durkon*&p=20633103&viewfull=1#post20633103).
Markozeta started a third round of voting here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482656-How-to-call-Durkon*&p=20633185&viewfull=1#post20633185).

The candidate names are (in order of appearance - or what I think is the reading order of that panel):

Count Durkula
Leechy Veinquaff
Durkzzaro
Nokrud
Pastor Expiration
Nose-Fur-atu
Jerkon
Nega-Dwarf
Deep Fang Friar
The Thorsaken
Whiskers in the Dark
Hel's Shell
Undurkon
The Creature Preacher
The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon
Greg
Never mind
Durkon*

The voting deadline will be set to the posting time of the next strip (partly to eliminate the need to deal with any timezone shenanigans and partly to add a little suspense at which time the ballot will be closed :smallwink:)

To start things (and to make it clear how a vote could look like), here is my vote:

Greg
The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon
Leechy Veinquaff
Whiskers in the Dark
Count Durkula

Catullus
2016-03-25, 05:01 PM
Durkon*
The Thorsaken
Greg

Also, I believe it is "Thorsaken", not "Forsaken"

Keltest
2016-03-25, 05:02 PM
I believe its Thorsaken, is it not?

Also, can I just have all my votes be Greg?

7RED7
2016-03-25, 05:17 PM
Asterkon

Asderkon

Asturkon

Something along those lines.

theasl
2016-03-25, 06:39 PM
This isn't a vote, but I'm pretty sure Greg is going to win.

redzimmer
2016-03-25, 06:51 PM
Durkula because.

SaintRidley
2016-03-25, 06:54 PM
Durkon (with the understanding that we are referring to the vampire entity and not the friendly dwarf).

Lizard Lord
2016-03-25, 06:57 PM
1: Count Durkula
2: Hell's Shell
3: The Thorsaken
4: Undurkon
5: Nokrud

Auburn Bright
2016-03-25, 07:22 PM
1. The Thorsaken
2. Greg
3. Undurkon
4. Count Durkula

I am really attached to The Thorsaken. You can drop the "The" to make it less awkward in the middle of sentences.

Doorhandle
2016-03-25, 07:26 PM
Thorsaken is pretty good, but Durkula is more catchy.

Still, if you're trying to dehumanise or dw-dwarfise him, (Which is kinda what they're trying to do) you can't really beat "It" or "Our problem."

Scarlet Knight
2016-03-25, 07:38 PM
1) Pastor Expiration
2) Leechy Veinquaff
3) Count Durkula
4) The Thorsaken
5) Greg

Jay R
2016-03-25, 09:09 PM
I'm going with Roy's choice.

From now on, I will call the vampire by the name "Please Stop".

dtilque
2016-03-26, 01:18 AM

No, "Please Stop" is what he called the original Durkon; he called the vampire "Never MInd".

Killer Angel
2016-03-26, 02:16 AM
I love how Rich makes fun of certain forum's discussions... :smallbiggrin:

Sylian
2016-03-26, 02:56 AM
1. "Durkon" or Durkon* (I prefer "Durkon")
2. Undurkon
3. Greg
4. Nokrud
5. Nega-Dwarf

archon_huskie
2016-03-26, 06:22 AM
1 Greg
2 UnDurkon (closest to Thog's Not Durkon)
Pastor Expirator

Calavera
2016-03-26, 08:11 AM
Nokrud
Greg
Nega-Dwarf

Jekub
2016-03-26, 08:29 AM
Greg, Obviously.

Nemeean_lion
2016-03-26, 08:42 AM
The best part about this comic strip is that it took the most prominent Vampire Durkon nicknames and turned them into canon, but it also added a ton of other better sounding ones like The Thorsaken and Pastor Expiration. We can now call the vampire by any of these nicknames and no one can come and say that they don't know what we mean or that the names are not related to the comic.

That being said, I think it would be a better idea to alternate between the multitude of nicknames than to stick to a particular one, but if I were forced to choose just one, I'd probably go for Greg, since it's short, easy to remember, and the only real name out of all the nicknames.

acire
2016-03-26, 08:43 AM
1. Count Durkula
2. Hel's Shell
3. Deep Fang Friar
4. The Creature Preacher
5. Nega-Dwarf
6. The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon
7. Undurkon
8. Durkon*

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-03-26, 10:19 AM
1. Durkon*
2. The High Priest of Hel

KillingAScarab
2016-03-26, 11:08 AM
I love how Rich makes fun of certain forum's discussions... :smallbiggrin:...and then people go on with them anyway? Provided it isn't aggravating, yeah, same here.

Nega-Dwarf
Durkon*
The Thorsaken

LunarDrop
2016-03-26, 11:18 AM
1. Thorsaken
2. Greg
3. Hel's Shell
4. Jerkon
5. Pastor Expiration
6. Creature Preacher

Elenna
2016-03-26, 11:55 AM
1. Greg
2. Greg
3. Greg
4. Greg

Okay fine, serious answer.
1. Greg
2. Durkon*
3. Count Durkula
4. The Thorsaken
5. Undurkon

DaggerPen
2016-03-26, 12:14 PM
1. Count Durkula
2. Durkon*
3. Greg
4. Nokrud
5. Jerkon
6.Undurkon
7. The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon

... 8. Please Stop

Douglas
2016-03-26, 01:30 PM
... 8. Please Stop
As dtilque pointed out, that's a name for original non-vampire Durkon. Try "Never Mind" instead.

NRSASD
2016-03-26, 01:45 PM
1. The Thorsaken
2. Pastor Expiration
3. Nega-dwarf

Cuthalion
2016-03-26, 02:21 PM
1. Greg
2. Never Mind

TurboGhast
2016-03-26, 02:47 PM
1: Corpse Formerly Known As Durkon (CFKAS)
2: Durkon*
3: Count Durkula
4: Hel's Shell
5: Undurkon

MReav
2016-03-26, 08:32 PM
1. Count Durkula.
2. Nega-Dwarf.
3. The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon (CFKD).

I wouldn't mind Evil Durkon.

LuisDantas
2016-03-26, 09:18 PM
Greg
Nokrud
Count Durkula
The Thorsaken
Undurkon

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-26, 10:46 PM
Greg
Nokrud
Count Durkula
The Thorsaken
Undurkon

Friar Suck. Better idea, and more like a Belkar nickname.

Norrefve
2016-03-27, 12:20 AM
1.Nose-Fur-Atu
2.Durkon*
3.Greg
4.Pastor Expiration
5.The Thorsaken

Though I also agree that it would be good to switch up the names, since we would all know who we were talking about anyway.

ChristianSt
2016-03-27, 10:35 AM
Though I also agree that it would be good to switch up the names, since we would all know who we were talking about anyway.

If you want to switch up names then you certainly can do so. This is just a fun poll that has ultimately no influence on how people call the former High Priest of Hel.

Since I have seen some posts with it, I will count Durkon as if the post would say Durkon*. Same for Durkula and Count Durkula or any names I think are sufficient close to any of the provided choices. Other names will not be counted. I'm on the fence whether or not to include "Never mind" (in that case I would count "Please Stop" as a vote for that) - it is clear that it isn't a real name, but it is a fun enough suggestion to be considered.
I will also try to parse posts without a nice list.

Joerg
2016-03-27, 10:51 AM
Count Durkula
The Thorsaken
Durkon*
Undurkon
Nokrud

CletusMusashi
2016-03-27, 12:02 PM
You know, I've been a strong Durkula man all along, but from now on I'm just going to say Greg. So much less typing.

Silverionmox
2016-03-27, 03:14 PM
1. The Vampire Formerly known as Durkon (TVFKAD)
2. Lurky Corpsewhiskers
3. Durkon*

Albion
2016-03-27, 03:52 PM
1 Jerkon
2 Nokrud
3 Undurkon

ChristianSt
2016-03-27, 05:35 PM
Also, can I just have all my votes be Greg?

Yes. You can vote

1. Greg

which only supports Greg (and unless you say otherwise I will count your post as such).

EDIT: I will not count other nicknames (mostly previously used by Belkar, like Lurky Corpsewhiskers) - because I think it is more fun to use only the ones form 1030 (and I don't want to change the rules midway through voting. Previous changes I made can be explained as "errors", while this would certainly change the scope).

I will also not count "High Priest of Hel" (and I do not think that the presence of Hel makes a fallback to "Hel's Spawn" possible) or other suggestions not from 1030.
Unless it gets clarified I will count "The Vampire Formerly Known as Durkon" as "The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon".

aurilee
2016-03-28, 08:42 AM
My vote:

Greg
Durkon*
The Creature Preacher
Nega-Dwarf
Whiskers in the Dark

Themrys
2016-03-28, 09:37 AM
Okay, stupid question, maybe, but why Greg? Like, what has this to do with Durkon?

1. Durkon*
2. Hel's Shell
3. The Thorsaken
4. Durkula
5. Nokrud (because nothing says 'vampire' like a backwards-spelled name)

Markozeta
2016-03-28, 09:47 AM
Never Mind
The Thorsaken
Norse-Fur-atu
Undurkon
Durkon*

Auburn Bright
2016-03-28, 09:53 AM
Okay, stupid question, maybe, but why Greg? Like, what has this to do with Durkon?

I don't think it's supposed to have anything to do with Durkon. It's just meant to be silly and out-of-place.

I actually kind of like it more than names that look too much like Durkon, because it's easy to misread those.

Kish
2016-03-28, 10:27 AM
How to call Durkon*? Considering his CR is too high-level for Summon Monster IX I'd say it would take a custom Summon Undead spell. Might have to be epic, depending on the DM.

Hamste
2016-03-28, 10:33 AM
How to call Durkon*? Considering his CR is too high-level for Summon Monster IX I'd say it would take a custom Summon Undead spell. Might have to be epic, depending on the DM.

That is actually summoning, what you want is a calling spell. Calling spells work off you being on a different plane so you will need to planeshift and then gate Durkon in.

Also I'm voting
1.Greg

aurilee
2016-03-28, 10:34 AM

*Slow clap*

Well done. :smallcool:

KillingAScarab
2016-03-28, 10:53 AM
5. Nokrud (because nothing says 'vampire' like a backwards-spelled name)In my mind, a backwards name should be reserved for use after your apparent destruction, when you need a new identity to commit immigration marriage fraud. But, Nale pointed out he is his own evil opposite, so it works out... for now.
*dun dun dun*

Pyrous
2016-03-28, 11:12 AM
That is actually summoning, what you want is a calling spell. Calling spells work off you being on a different plane so you will need to planeshift and then gate Durkon in.

Also, if you want to gate Durkon*, you will have to name him.

Vote:
1. Greg

Hamste
2016-03-28, 11:21 AM
Also, if you want to gate Durkon*, you will have to name him.

Vote:
1. Greg

That is the hard part...perhaps we should make a thread dedicated to voting a name for Durkon so we can call him.

Pyrous
2016-03-28, 12:27 PM
That is the hard part...perhaps we should make a thread dedicated to voting a name for Durkon so we can call him.

Durkon is already named, what we really need is a thread to vote a name for Greg.

Devils_Advocate
2016-03-28, 09:02 PM
I think that the funnest option would be to call Vampire Durkon something new every time that he's referred to; ideally something witty. Failing that, rotating names seems like a good alternative. That said, I suspect that "Greg" will indeed prove to be the most popular, for the same reason that Torg's talking magic sword in Sluggy Freelance (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/weekly/970825) is widely known as "Chaz": Of the choices listed, it's the funniest and the most succinct.

Anyway,

1. Greg
2. Durkon*
3. Nokrud
4. Durkula

Exactly.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk)
To (hopefully) make things simple and fair I will use the alternate voting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE) system to count votes.
I don't think that I've ever seen anyone suggest voting to determine which voting system to use, which seems rather ironic, obvious bootstrapping problems notwithsanding. Although I do recall once seeing a poll of the experts consulted for an article about voting systems, which found, in some sort of meta Condorcet paradox, that none of the systems under consideration won under itself!

Anyway, I just felt like mentioning that.

dtilque
2016-03-28, 09:21 PM
5. Nokrud (because nothing says 'vampire' like a backwards-spelled name)

Somehow I don't think Nale is going to agree with that.

Jolly Steve
2016-03-28, 11:25 PM
Can I suggest another one?

AD&D - Amalgamated Durkon & Dracula.

Markozeta
2016-03-28, 11:28 PM
Midterm Poll

I ran the numbers because I was bored. Initial results had Durkon* holding on a strong lead (followed closely by Count Durkula), but latecomer votes have pushed Greg into the current winner spot with only a two vote lead. In first round, it's practically a three way tie between Greg, Durkon* and Count Durkula. The most popular fourth person choice is The Thorsaken, followed by Never Mind. However, a lot of votes fell off for not listing a long list of candidates - make your votes count and list as many names as you like. Stopping the list prematurely is a vote for "I don't care".

See your votes down the line in the last (maybe based upon a weekly update schedule??) 3 and a half days!

DataNinja
2016-03-28, 11:38 PM
As an answer to the thread title, I'd assume a phone would be the best way. Hey, if they have coffeemakers...

Now, more seriously:

1. Count Durkula
2. Durkon*

Kish
2016-03-28, 11:43 PM
1. Greg
2. The Thorsaken
3. Durkon*

theasl
2016-03-29, 01:52 AM
1. Durkon*

:smallconfused: He's not the HPOH anymore, I thought we've been over this!

Also, fine: formally voting for
1. Greg
2. Never Mind
3. Jerkon
4. Nokrud
5. Leechy Veninquaff

ti'esar
2016-03-29, 02:33 AM
:smallconfused: He's not the HPOH anymore, I thought we've been over this!

I still don't understand why this is seriously an issue for people. The 'new high priestess' is almost certainly his thrall, and even if not, the abdication was a total loophole-exploiting sham. I mean, sure, if you want to call him something else go right ahead. I can understand HPOH not being an option to vote on here, too. But taking things seriously for a moment, I don't really understand why anyone who previously did think of the vampire as the High Priest of Hel stopped just because of an abdication that he himself made obvious was a joke.

Laurana
2016-03-29, 04:15 AM
Can somebody explain "Durkzzaro" to me, please?

Also, I'm a bit upset I cannot choose Lurky Corpsewhiskers in here, but I can see the OP's point.

Mozill Marshal
2016-03-29, 05:24 AM
There's my vote

Whiskers in the Dark
Hel's Shell
Durkon*
Undurkon
Deep Fang Friar

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-03-29, 05:46 AM
I still don't understand why this is seriously an issue for people. The 'new high priestess' is almost certainly his thrall, and even if not, the abdication was a total loophole-exploiting sham. I mean, sure, if you want to call him something else go right ahead. I can understand HPOH not being an option to vote on here, too. But taking things seriously for a moment, I don't really understand why anyone who previously did think of the vampire as the High Priest of Hel stopped just because of an abdication that he himself made obvious was a joke.

Yeah, this is very much my logic behind it. Also, I've been calling him the High Priest of Hel since the reveal, and absent any reveal of his actual name (if he has one), I'll probably keep calling him that since most people will probably get me.

Laurana
2016-03-29, 05:47 AM
I'll vote for the time being:

1. Greg
2. Whiskers in the Dark
3. The Thorsaken
4. The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon
5. Leechy Veinquaff
6. Never mind

Kish
2016-03-29, 07:27 AM
It's Leechy Veinquaff, as in "quaffs the contents of veins," not Leechy Veninquaff.

Can somebody explain "Durkzzaro" to me, please?
In Superman comics, one of the villains is Bizarro, an evil counterpart of Superman from a world of opposites.

Laurana
2016-03-29, 09:56 AM
In Superman comics, one of the villains is Bizarro, an evil counterpart of Superman from a world of opposites.

Thanks, pal! :smallwink:

ChristianSt
2016-03-29, 11:41 AM
And it is over. Votes after this post will not be counted.

The vote-counting gnomes will immediately start to work and I expect to shortly hear from them to post the "official" result.

EDIT: The results are in!

And the winner is: ... drum roll ... Greg

Just counting the votes for the most favorite name, we get the following results:

1.Greg: 16
2.Count Durkula: 8
3.Durkon*: 5
4.The Thorsaken: 3
5.The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon: 2
6.Never mind: 2
7.Nokrud: 1
8.Pastor Expiration: 1
9.Nose-Fur-atu: 1
10.Jerkon: 1
11.Nega-Dwarf: 1
12.Whiskers in the Dark: 1
13.Leechy Veinquaff: 0
14.Durkzzaro: 0
15.Deep Fang Friar: 0
16.Hel's Shell: 0
17.Undurkon: 0
18.The Creature Preacher: 0

Greg is the clear front-runner, but since there is no clear winner (>50%) the last position will be discarded. Since discarding anyone without a vote will not change the result anyway I discard anyone with only one vote too*. Therefore only a third of the candidate names (anyone with 2+ votes) goes to the next round. Shifting those 6 votes results in:

1.Greg: 17
2.Count Durkula: 9
3.Durkon*: 8
4.The Thorsaken: 3
5.The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon: 2
6.Never mind: 2

"Greg" and "Count Durkula" profit only minimally by the new votes, but "Durkon*" catches up. Next "Never mind" and "The Corpse Formerly Known as Durkon" go to the chopping block. This yet again gives a slight change in numbers:

1.Greg: 17
2.Durkon*: 10
3.Count Durkula: 9
4.The Thorsaken: 4

"Durkon*" really profits from this - and even manages to become runner-up - making the results even closer. So thus we march forward and eliminate "The Thorsaken":

1.Greg: 19
2.Durkon*: 11
3.Count Durkula: 9

Again no clear winner (>50%), so we go into heads up. Should all of "Count Durkula"'s votes go to "Durkon*" then their would be a last-minute change of leadership! (Well - that probably would have added a bit more suspense, if I hadn't announced the winner up front). The heads up between "Greg" and "Durkon*" yields the following result:

1.Greg: 20
2.Durkon*: 15

While "Count Durkula" voters clearly preferred "Durkon*" over "Greg", "Greg" manages to keep his initial lead and therefore has the right to claim the title of "Favorite nickname of the entity that looks pretty much like Durkon without being Durkon"

*I'm not sure if it is really normal to discard all of them at once, but I'm just doing so to save time/space. Discarding them at once would require some sort of tiebreaker. Anyway while it would change some intermediate stuff (e.g. Nokrud survives a bit longer if we discard them one by one because he gets the Jerkon vote) it doesn't change the end result.

Sylian
2016-03-29, 12:59 PM
Is it over already? Why not have some more rounds to really make sure? Or at least one more with Durkon* vs Greg?

ChristianSt
2016-03-29, 01:06 PM
Is it over already? Why not have some more rounds to really make sure? Or at least one more with Durkon* vs Greg?

If you want to do more you can do so - but I myself have not interest to do anything like that.

Hereby I give my official allowance* for anyone to hijack this thread for any vote-related shenanigans related to Greg.

*Not that this really means anything because of forum rules ;-)

Markozeta
2016-03-29, 03:07 PM
If you want to do more you can do so - but I myself have not interest to do anything like that.

Hereby I give my official allowance* for anyone to hijack this thread for any vote-related shenanigans related to Greg.

*Not that this really means anything because of forum rules ;-)

Alright, let the hijacking begin! I'll start with a 5 round run-off - then the final 3. Same rules (the moment a new comic goes up, the vote ends, and use of the alternate voting system!) but with this small of a group, there is a new rule: You have to order all 5 from favorite to least favorite in order for your voice to be counted. Any votes not listing all 5 will be ignored.

The top 5 are:

Count Durkula
Durkon*
Greg
Never Mind
The Thorsaken

My List, for the record:

1. Never Mind
2. Durkon*
3. The Thorsaken
4. Greg
5. Count Durkula

littlebum2002
2016-03-29, 03:16 PM
Count Durkula
Durkon*
Greg
Never Mind
The Thorsaken

Wow, mine just so happens to be in the exact same order you posted them in.

Markozeta
2016-03-29, 03:28 PM
Count Durkula
Durkon*
Greg
Never Mind
The Thorsaken

Wow, mine just so happens to be in the exact same order you posted them in.

The order posted was alphabetical. :smallbiggrin:

aurilee
2016-03-29, 03:32 PM
All in for Greg.

Greg
Durkon*
The Thorsaken
Count Durkula
Never Mind

archon_huskie
2016-03-29, 03:37 PM
Greg
Thorsaken

Never Mind
Count Durkula

Durkon*

Auburn Bright
2016-03-29, 03:41 PM
Hooray, more voting!

The Thorsaken
Never Mind
Greg
Durkon*
Count Durkula

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-03-29, 03:42 PM
Durkula
Durkon*
Thorsaken (funny, but by a very narrow margin not instantly recognizable enough)
Greg (funny, but not nearly instantly recognizable enough)

Edit: O right, I just now read the new rules. Well, I guess that makes Never Mind number 5 then... (too meta)

Hamste
2016-03-29, 03:48 PM
1.Greg
2. The Thorsaken
3. Durkon*
4. Count Durkula
5. Nevermind

Pyrous
2016-03-29, 04:04 PM
Greg
Never Mind
The Thorsaken
Count Durkula
Durkon*

martianmister
2016-03-29, 05:35 PM
High Priest of Hel
Nega-Dwarf
Durkzzaro
Hel's Shell
The Creature Preacher
Nokrud

Elenna
2016-03-29, 06:45 PM
1. Greg
2. Durkon*
3. The Thorsaken
4. Count Durkula
5. Never Mind

Indarra
2016-03-29, 06:58 PM
1. Durkula
2. Thorsaken
3. Durkon*

DataNinja
2016-03-29, 09:00 PM
•Count Durkula
•Durkon*
•Never Mind
•The Thorsaken
•Greg

SaintRidley
2016-03-29, 09:14 PM
So are we doing this and making it an official custom of the board? And if so there will be a social contract to never refer to the vampire as Durkula again if that name loses?

1. Greg.
2. Durkon*
3. The Thorsaken

The other two don't even merit votes.

Kish
2016-03-29, 09:54 PM
1. Greg
2. Durkon*
3. The Thorsaken
4. Never mind
5. Count Phyrnglsnyx

ti'esar
2016-03-29, 10:20 PM
1. Greg
2. Durkon*
3. The Thorsaken
4. Never mind
5. Count Phyrnglsnyx

...how is Phyrwhatever more acceptable than Durkula?

DataNinja
2016-03-29, 10:23 PM
So are we doing this and making it an official custom of the board? And if so there will be a social contract to never refer to the vampire as Durkula again if that name loses?

Ahahahahaha! I'd say the odds of that are somewhere low enough to be improbable, yet not low enough to become a million-to-one chance.

Laurana
2016-03-30, 01:45 AM
Hooray, more voting!

^
:smallsmile:

1. Greg
2. The Thorsaken
3. Never Mind
4. Durkon*
5. Count Durkula

I'm a bit upset that so many names were eliminated so easily.:smallfrown:

Hamste
2016-03-30, 04:46 AM
...how is Phyrwhatever more acceptable than Durkula?

That is the actual name of the vampire. We just don't want to call them that for obvious spelling reasons.

Bedinsis
2016-03-30, 09:33 AM
I thought the point of 1030 was to point out that the giant didn't want us to think up nicknames for the vampire?

Anyway, I vote:

1. Durkon*

The gF
2016-03-30, 09:50 AM
1. Durkon*

He's NOT the High Priest of Hel though. Front-of-the-mob morningstar girl is.

1. The Thorsaken
2. Count Durkula
3. Durkon*
4. Greg
5. Never Mind

Tiri
2016-03-30, 10:00 AM
1. Durkon
2. Count Durkula
3. Never Mind

Hamste
2016-03-30, 11:23 AM
A reminder for these new rules your vote only gets counted if you put all 5*on your list.

F.Harr
2016-03-30, 11:43 AM
My personal favorite was "Durkula" but I can do Greg.

HA! "Greg". :)

Gamgee
2016-03-30, 11:47 AM
1. The Thorsaken
2. Nokrud

Calavera
2016-03-30, 01:22 PM
Greg
Durkon*
Count Durkula
Never Mind
The Thorsaken

Massive gaps in quality between 2nd/3rd and 3rd/4th

NRSASD
2016-03-30, 04:27 PM
THE THORSAKEN
Count Durkula
Durkon*
Nevermind
Greg

Come on guys, 16% of the world's population is already named Greg. (http://www.bomus.org/index.php) We can do better than this!

DaggerPen
2016-03-30, 05:02 PM
I don't usually do spite voting, but it turns out I literally hate that Phryngylgesundheit name enough to bump the perfectly serviceable name it gained popularity to spite to the top of my list.

COUNT DURKULA
Durkon*
Greg
The Thorsaken
Nevermind

Alchemist_Fire
2016-03-30, 09:46 PM
Lurky Corpsewhiskers

my singular vote, forever

ericgrau
2016-03-31, 08:11 AM
1. Greg.
2. The Thorsaken.

ChristianSt
2016-03-31, 11:06 AM
Greg
Never Mind
The Thorsaken
Count Durkula
Durkon*

Markozeta
2016-03-31, 11:53 AM
High Priest of Hel
Nega-Dwarf
Durkzzaro
Hel's Shell
The Creature Preacher
Nokrud

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be sarcastic, but it doesn't go. It's just those 5 I listed originally.

I think you could cite this thread as a reference - but probably not much more than that. You also need to do 5 votes. Though to be honest, you're vote will probably be the same in the top three run-off after this.

I'm a bit upset that so many names were eliminated so easily.

You could always do a Brick Award (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482552-The-Brick-Awards-The-Best-of-the-Worst-Tournament-591-630) for the eliminated names.

A reminder for these new rules your vote only gets counted if you put all 5*on your list.

Emphasized for emphasis

ChristianSt
2016-03-31, 12:04 PM
So are we doing this and making it an official custom of the board? And if so there will be a social contract to never refer to the vampire as Durkula again if that name loses?I think you could cite this thread as a reference - but probably not much more than that. You also need to do 5 votes. Though to be honest, you're vote will probably be the same in the top three run-off after this.

I only want to add that I do strongly think that (ultimate because of Forum Rules) you cannot use this thread as any sort of real argument why anyone should call Greg Greg and not High Priest of Hel or whatever other name someone wants to use :smallwink:

I would say take this thread as the funny short-lived entertainment it wants to bring to the forum, but without any executive power (since no regular thread has that).

Edit: I also edited the OP. Maybe some of the invalid votes have only read the OP and missed that the original voting is already finished.

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-31, 01:06 PM
1. Get out your cell phone
2. Open Contacts
3. Find Durkon* in your contacts list
4. Touch the call icon on your phone
5. Put your phone to your ear, or select speaker phone, and wait for Durkon* to answer.

That's how to call Durkon*

Markozeta
2016-03-31, 02:48 PM
The voting gnomes called. I guess it's time for another...

Midterm Poll!

It looks like Greg still dominates - but the top two contenders are different then I imagined. Count Durkula has made his way with a few top votes, but The Thorsaken has reached from way behind to pull into a tie with the Count. However, eliminating either one gives Greg the immediate win. However, if Greg were to be rocked by a terrible scandal, The Thorsaken has the vote!

Once again, your vote is not counted unless you mention all 5.

1. Get out your cell phone
2. Open Contacts
3. Find Durkon* in your contacts list
4. Touch the call icon on your phone
5. Put your phone to your ear, or select speaker phone, and wait for Durkon* to answer.

That's how to call Durkon*

Some people don't have cell phones though - maybe its in the other bag of holding?

DataNinja
2016-03-31, 04:17 PM
The voting gnomes called

Wait. But how do we call the voting gnomes? Do we need to vote on that, too?

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-03-31, 04:23 PM
Don't call the voting gnomes, we'll call you.

I mean they, they'll call you. *whistles*

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-01, 01:07 PM
Don't call the voting gnomes, we'll call you.

I mean they, they'll call you. *whistles*
*Yakov Smirnov's voice*

In Russia, Durkon* calls you.

Sylian
2016-04-01, 01:19 PM
1. Greg
2. Durkon*
3. Count Durkula
4. The Thorsaken
5. Never Mind

Pyrous
2016-04-01, 01:26 PM
*Yakov Smirnov's voice*

In Russia, Durkon* calls you.

No, he doesn't. We would be on the same plane.

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-02, 10:24 AM
No, he doesn't. We would be on the same plane. If you are on the same plane, just ask the flight attendant if you can change seats and sit next to him. No need to call at that point.

Jekub
2016-04-02, 03:22 PM
Greg
The Thorsaken
Durkon*
Count Durkula
Never Mind

137beth
2016-04-02, 07:47 PM
1. Never Mind
2. Greg
3. Durkon*
4. The Thorsaken
5. Count D@#$%la

ericgrau
2016-04-02, 11:47 PM
1. Greg
2. The Thorsaken.
3. Count Durkula
4. Durkon*
5. Never Mind

Devils_Advocate
2016-04-03, 06:12 AM
Representing Hel at the Godsmoot is presently pretty clearly the most important function of the head of her church, so obviously that job has to go to someone who will be there to do it. Yes, technically they're not actually following their normal procedure for selecting someone for that job, but that's because Hel's church didn't even exist until recently, and so there is no such procedure. I don't know that Hel even particularly wants any duty besides serving as her representative to be associated with that role right now, or has any plans for her clergy at this point beyond using them to destroy the world. The only reason that Darth Urist was selected for the position in the first place was that he was the only available candidate.

Sure, the reason that Durkon 2: Necrotic Boogaloo gave for selecting the current High Priestess (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1017.html) as his successor is pretty weak, but he probably doesn't actually know any of these vampires all that well and doesn't have a lot to go on. Appointing the one who appears to be leading the charge strikes me as a reasonable choice. So, yeah, clearly it's a hasty, under-informed decision, but it's not a random, haphazard one.

Obviously you don't appreciate the merits of a frontarchal system.

I begin suspect that you may harbor a degree of dislike for that particular moniker. But anyway, to answer your questions, no. :P

I don't usually do spite voting, but it turns out I literally hate that Phryngylgesundheit name enough to bump the perfectly serviceable name it gained popularity to spite to the top of my list.
Aw, I rather like "Phyrnglsnyx".

DeliaP
2016-04-03, 08:05 AM
1 Count Durkula
2 Durkon*
3 Never Mind
4 The Thorsaken
5 Greg

TheNecrocomicon
2016-04-05, 04:17 PM
Is there a "none of the above" option? Because I personally favour using Lurkon to refer to the vampire. It's like Lurky Corpsewhiskers, only more space-efficient. :smalltongue:

For his right-hand spawn who infiltrated the Mechane, I prefer "the Ex-Exarch".

ijon
2016-04-05, 05:16 PM
btw you all know that the original tree-fearing hammer machine should be called AD&Durkon right

DaggerPen
2016-04-05, 05:59 PM
If you are on the same plane, just ask the flight attendant if you can change seats and sit next to him. No need to call at that point.

I just wanted you to know that I laughed so hard at this I think I got macaroni up my nose.

Also "Lurkon" is surprisingly catchy, ngl.

Laurana
2016-04-06, 10:04 AM
Yeah, but isn't it the other way around now? It's Durkon that lurks in his own body, whilst Lurky is in full command and speaks and fights and does stuff. So Lurky is not a lurker anymore, Durkon is.

Markozeta
2016-04-06, 03:05 PM
And that's the new comic. Please stand by while the voting gnomes - well, gnome.

Edit:

The Results are IN. Greg wins by a simple majority - 11 of 21 votes had Greg in first place.

Eliminating Greg is a bit interesting. For those curious, the results are below:

==========================================
1.The Thorsaken: 8
2.Count Durkula: 5
3.Durkon*: 4
4.Never mind: 4

Without Greg, The Thorsaken takes a fairly strong lead, but not a majority. We can eliminate both Never Mind and Durkon* - and add those up. If all of them went to Durkula, then Durkula wins. Otherwise, it's to the Thorsaken.

==========================================
1.The Thorsaken: 14
2.Count Durkula: 7

Well, 3/4 of them went to the Thorsaken, who wins 2:1.

Markozeta
2016-04-06, 03:27 PM
With Greg pretty well established as the dominant winner, we go to the final round of voting.

Durkon
Durkon Classic
Durkon (First Edition)
Please Stop
Original Recipe Durkon
Wildcard

That's right - what's your favorite name for the corpse Greg occupies? Rules are back to the original - just list the names you want, and the contest ends when the comic updates. I threw in a wildcard - come up with one individual name by yourself if desired. Due to an interesting story (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/10/evil-twins-violence-one-twin-kills-his-brother-video_n_1763073.html), I would propose Jeff for a wildcard. So my list is:

Original Recipe Durkon
Jeff
Please Stop
Durkon Classic

Kish
2016-04-06, 03:35 PM
1. Durkon.

Pyrous
2016-04-06, 03:40 PM
1. Durkon.

Hamste
2016-04-06, 09:56 PM
1. Durkon

martianmister
2016-04-06, 10:03 PM
4. Please Stop

Laurana
2016-04-07, 01:25 AM
What we're actually naming is not the corpse Greg occupies, but Durkon's "soul", I think.

1.Durkon Classic
2.Durkon (First Edition)
3.Original Recipe Durkon
4.Please Stop
5.Durkon

Sylian
2016-04-07, 06:26 AM
1. Durkon
2. Durkon Classic
3. Durkon (First Edition)
4. Original Recipe Durkon
5. Please Stop

ericgrau
2016-04-09, 03:24 AM
1. Durkon Classic.
2. I've got to be free, free to face the life that's ahead of me.
3. Original Recipe Durkon.

Aasimar
2016-04-09, 09:19 AM
How to call Durkon*?

Well, they don't have cell-phones, but people seem to use Message in a pretty analogous way. So that maybe?

137beth
2016-04-09, 06:55 PM
1. Durkon Classic
2. World of Durkon Classic
3. Durkon: The Requiem
4. Durkon

Mayrax
2016-04-11, 10:25 AM
Count Durkula

Markozeta
2016-04-14, 09:44 AM
And - It's a tie between Durkon and Durkon Classic. Though some of the wildcards are entertaining to say the least.

I'm going with Durkon Classic.

Anyways, that ends the hijacking!

White Magic
2017-07-22, 01:56 AM
I use "Undurkon"", but it seems that the playground-verse as settled on
HPoH, High Priest of Hel, and "Greg (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1030.html)".

No-one uses the name Malak gave him here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0878.html): "Brother Thundershield".

goto124
2017-07-22, 02:00 AM
Greg also has the advantage of being short and easy to type. Even HPoH requires stretching for the Shift button 3 times as opposed to just one :smallbiggrin:

And High Priest is technically incorrect, even it's rules dodging.

Durkoala
2017-07-22, 07:21 AM
Greg also has the advantage of being short and easy to type. Even HPoH requires stretching for the Shift button 3 times as opposed to just one :smallbiggrin:

And High Priest is technically incorrect, even it's rules dodging.

I thought up the term Low Priest of Hel, or LPoH, to denote that he's the high priest who's shorter than the other High Priest of Hel. I'm going to be throwing this around a lot to see if it catches on.:smallwink:

hrožila
2017-07-22, 09:17 AM
I still think "Durkon" is the only name he's ever answered to, so that's his name.

goto124
2017-07-22, 11:12 AM
That's because he's pretending to be Durkon, and not many people know about his true state.

Hel hasn't referred to him as anything other than 'high priest', if I recall correctly, and hasn't bothered to give him a name.

137beth
2017-07-22, 01:09 PM
I still think "Durkon" is the only name he's ever answered to, so that's his name.

He answers to the title High Priest of Hel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html), which can sort of be construed as like a name given that it is capitalized, and no other title Hel gives him is capitalized. That's why I tend to stick to calling him HPoH. Hel created him, so she gets to name him, and that's the name (sort of) that she picked.

Ruck
2017-07-22, 03:16 PM
El Durkerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Anyway, this is a necro thread so I imagine it'll be locked soon.

GAAD
2017-07-22, 03:30 PM
Phyrnglsnx for life!

Goblin_Priest
2017-07-22, 07:21 PM
This "Greg" thing got me really confused for a while, until I finally stumbled upon one of these threads.

Aeliren
2017-07-23, 06:04 PM
Personally, I'd call him with a phone.

Serious answer: I tend to go with "Durkon*" or continuing with "High Priest of Hel".

137beth
2017-07-23, 11:43 PM
Phyrnglsnx for life!

My memory is hazy: where did that name come from?