PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Focus holy symbol Druid focus

Ewhit
2016-03-25, 06:05 PM
Do eldritch Knights arcane rogues need arcane focus?
Also do ek arcane trickster and bards need spell books as only the wizard class talks about spell books

JumboWheat01
2016-03-25, 06:21 PM
Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters actually can't use a focus for their spells, they need to rely on Component Pouches instead.

And no, Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters are Learned Casters, they just stuff the magic in their head at all times, like a Sorcerer. Wizard is in fact the only class to require a book to hold onto their spells, though a Warlock with the Tome pact feature also needs his tome on hand in order to use those spells. Anyone with the Ritual Caster feat also needs THAT book in order to cast their ritual spells.

Tanarii
2016-03-25, 07:15 PM
Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters actually can't use a focus for their spells, they need to rely on Component Pouches instead.Or just the actual material components. They have so few spells, that obtaining a few specific M components, which don't vanish, is relatively easy to do.

Rangers are in the same boat by the way. They don't have use of any focus, but they have so few spells, of which not that many require M components.

DracoKnight
2016-03-25, 07:23 PM
Personally, I let EKs and ATs just use an arcane focus if they want. Component pouches are almost always better anyways, so if they want a shiny attractive focus obviously used to cast spells and likely to be confiscated if they ever get imprisoned by hostile NPCs, instead of the drab tattered bag holding random knick-knacks, then hey, whatever floats their boat. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Tanarii
2016-03-25, 07:34 PM
Well, it's primarily a restriction against using a magical focus, isn't it? I mean, it's pretty much totally irrelevant if you use a non-magical focus vs a component pouch in terms of mechanics.

Captbrannigan
2016-03-25, 08:56 PM
Personally, I let EKs and ATs just use an arcane focus if they want. Component pouches are almost always better anyways, so if they want a shiny attractive focus obviously used to cast spells and likely to be confiscated if they ever get imprisoned by hostile NPCs, instead of the drab tattered bag holding random knick-knacks, then hey, whatever floats their boat. :smallwink::smalltongue:

I don't see guards any more willing to leave you in a cell with a bag of bat guano than a quarterstaff. If they've heard of magic, which they probably have, they would be better off confiscating everything rather than try to guess at what can and cannot be used to cast spells. Hell, I'd strip and delouse prisoners before I'd let a mage keep her robes on. Who knows what she has in those pockets?!

Slipperychicken
2016-03-26, 01:56 PM
I don't see guards any more willing to leave you in a cell with a bag of bat guano than a quarterstaff. If they've heard of magic, which they probably have, they would be better off confiscating everything rather than try to guess at what can and cannot be used to cast spells. Hell, I'd strip and delouse prisoners before I'd let a mage keep her robes on. Who knows what she has in those pockets?!

Really, if you're going to throw someone dangerous in jail, it's just common sense to confiscate their possessions and change them into prison clothes.