PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my librarian?

Theodred theOld
2016-03-25, 06:34 PM
The group is headed to a lost city deep in the desert to seek forbidden knowledge in the library. Some of the playgrounders may recognize that this is plot of an avatar episode (season 2, episode 10). Unapologetic, I want to make this place seem as close to the spirit library from the show as possible. This leads us to the ask: I need to find a librarian. Wan Shi Tong was a large owl-like spirit with many small fox minions to help with the books. What does the playground think would be a good stand in? The party is level 5 gestalt. Binder 5// Rogue 3/Sorc2, Rogue 3/Half-Vampire 2//Sorc 5, Barb 5//Sorc 5. The last guy is kinda new so we kept the build simple, focusing on self-buff and smash. Assume that the party will fight the librarian at some point but won't have to, so overpowered is ok but outright deadly might be a bit much. Thanks and I look forward to hear what the playground has to say.

Telonius
2016-03-25, 07:31 PM
Honestly I'd just take a Emerald Dragon chassis, give it Telepathy, Psionics instead of Spellcasting, and call it an Outsider instead of a Dragon.

Gildedragon
2016-03-25, 09:18 PM
Grisgol librarian with Paper Golem minions feels thematic with a library. Or Animated Object books, fluttering and reshelving themselves.

Tiri
2016-03-26, 01:26 AM
Grisgol librarian with Paper Golem minions feels thematic with a library.

Considering a Grisgol has no Intelligence, I think it's not a particularly good choice.

Since there already is an intelligent Giant Owl in the MM, you could just use that. Just advance it until it's a few CR higher than 5. Maybe you could add in a template like Half-Fey along the way to make it more 'spirit-like'. Although if you add Half-Fey you may also want something to boost Charisma.

Dog stats might work for foxes, since they are dog-like animals. Just awaken them.

Thurbane
2016-03-26, 01:42 AM
Giant Owl Archivist X?

There are stats for an Arctic Fox in Frostburn.

Gildedragon
2016-03-26, 01:45 AM
Considering a Grisgol has no Intelligence, I think it's not a particularly good choice.

Since there already is an intelligent Giant Owl in the MM, you could just use that. Just advance it until it's a few CR higher than 5. Maybe you could add in a template like Half-Fey along the way to make it more 'spirit-like'. Although if you add Half-Fey you may also want something to boost Charisma.

Dog stats might work for foxes, since they are dog-like animals. Just awaken them.

Just Awaken Construct the grisgol. In fact seeing how it is a library of legend: Empowered or Maximised (or Empowered Maximized) Awaken Construct would work. This would result in an int, cha, and wis between 3d6 and 18+(3d6/2) depending on what the library creator guns for. A smart golem that knows they act as a prision for a lich and as a repository of knowledge...

Alternative:

A refluffed (CR 20) Jinushigami from PF. The most interesting ability is the Manipulate Terrain power. It lets them rearrange the stacks and the people inside; though fighting it is an imposibility at the level the characters are.

A Sphynx (particularly a Loquasphynx)

A Word Archon (those last two are from the Truenaming section of the Tome of Magic... they do fit the flavor but the crunch might be odd tasting)

Gravecrawler: much more modest in size than the others, but still fitting with the flavor.

Chronotyrn (CR 19 so a bit high, but a very magical quite smart (defacto 10 ranks in every knowledge skill) bird creature)